1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Removal Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by WolfeTaco, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner TRD - Silver
    AFE Cold Air Intake, DTLT Ceramic Headers, Jardine Cat-Back, TRD S/C, URD fuel system upgrades (injectors & pump), URD pulley... soon to be tuned!
    So I decided to go with an HID kit (shoulda looked on here for group buys before I bought mine)

Anyways, after inspection I realized that my headlights are nasty and sunbeaten... so I got a deal on some new headlights and corners figuring it would be better to do them all at once..

Can anyone help me with where to start with removing the original headlights and corners?

I can see one screw right on top and one bolt buried way down behind the grille... should I start by removing those screws and un-clipping the grille then work from there?

Hoping to find someone who has done this in a 1st gen before and hoping this is something I will be able to take on this weekend at the latest.

Any help is appreciated.

-Wolfe

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    If I'm not mistakened, there's 3-4 screws that you need to remove in order to take out the headlights. There's the one on top, one just under the bottom left and right corners of the grill (you'll have to pop the grill off to see them), and then the dreaded screw in front of the wheel wells. You can't see it, but you can feel it. There's a pretty detailed write up if you do a search for the BHLM mod. Do a quick search and you should be able to find pretty easily.

Edit: Sorry didn't realize this was first gen. You can ignore this lol

3. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    I have a 2000 model just a little bit different. On mine first off take the grill off there are I think about 6 clips 3 on top 3 on bottom, just use a long a$$ flat head screw driver and take your time. Them remove the side marker lights there is a screw holding the headlights on under them. Next with the grill gone the body trim right under the headlight has to come off they are held on by a clip that is a pain to get off but just take your time and you can get it with no problem. now that you have every thing off the front end you can see all the bolts. 1 that the side markers covered up, 1 on the top directly over from that one, 1 on the bottom that the grill had covered, and 1 on the bottom that the body trim had covered up. It might be a little different because of the newer year model. Hope this helps you out. I have aftermarket projectors, and just installed some HID's also. Good luck:D
    The grill clips 4 on top 2 or 3 on bottom.:)

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    AFE Cold Air Intake, DTLT Ceramic Headers, Jardine Cat-Back, TRD S/C, URD fuel system upgrades (injectors & pump), URD pulley... soon to be tuned!
    Thanks guys... I will let you know how it goes!

jab - can you post a pic of your projector headlights?

I searched everywhere for projectors and the only ones I found didn't look much different than regular crystal clear replacements... and they cost like 3 or 4 times more.

5. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Like I said mine is a 2000 model, not sure what is available for a 2002?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
  7. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    Those clear w/ black corners are exactly what I got... except I didn't pay $200 (more like $70 haha) I think they will work out just fine

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Cool! you said you got some hids? I got mine from ddmtuning.com 35w 6000K and love them. Have only had them in for about a week though.

9. Oct 20, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    where did you get the head lights? and do you like the HIDs Im thinking about doing that.

10. Oct 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Oct 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Yeah I just want the clear ones not the projector ones.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    where did you get your hid kit from? how much? I paid $81 shipped for mine from ddmtuning. What color range did you get? And last but not least what style bulb did you get?

13. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    I got the HID kit here

I decided to go with the 8000k and the bulb style has the xenon bulb for low beams but keeps a high output halogen so I can still have high beams... so it's not exactly bi-xenon but it does support the high beams.

Check out the video on there for the "Tacoma Bi Xenon HID conversion Kit" these have a little magnetic motor that moves the bulb when you flick your high beams on to actually change the level... it looks pretty cool. (almost got that one but didn't think I needed it)

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    Also... I tried to see how far I could get tonight with taking apart the front end before it got dark but I didnt get very far. Do I need to take those little pieces of body trim before I take off the grill? It seemed like it didnt want to come off. Also.... where is the first screw that hold in the corner light? I think I busted the clip that helps secure one of those lights but the top screw is keeping it from moving around too much.

Maybe I just didnt get the bottom clips well enough...? So to be clear: the ONLY thing that holds the grille on are the 2 top screws then the clips (4 on top 3 on bottom) correct?

15. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    If my memory serves me right the body trim is held on by a screw that is behind the grill, and a clip that is connected to the headlight housing. The sidemarkers are held on by a small screw on the very top and a clip that is a pain to get loose. Seems like I've seen a thread that showed how to remove them so Ill look and see.

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Are those HID lights blue.? I'd like to go HID, but I hate blue freakin lights.

17. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    you can get them in aall kinds of colors really... diamond white, iceberg blue, very berry blue etc.... lol

18. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    I want very very very blue:D

Products Discussed in

To Top