1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Removal, pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chris(NJ), Dec 13, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    10mm socket or wrench will fit almost every bolt used to assemble a Tacoma. It's like the engineers agreed that when they weren't sure what size bolt to use, they used a 10mm. When ever I am working on my truck, I always grab a 10mm first. :cool:

TacomaCZman likes this.
  2. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'm talking about one of those combo wrenches where the box end is like a ratchet where you don't have to take it off the nut to keep loosening or tightening and it is flat and is easier to blindly get it on the nut by feel and loosen while sitting in the half sit up position. Some of us aren't as young as we used to be and holding that position can be trying if fumbling around too long to get that nut off, lol.

3. Apr 9, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    moonsky

moonsky Member

Member:
    ugh, I know man! Believe me, I've been driving around lately and really regretting not having done it while they were apart. What setup did you wind up going w/?

4. Apr 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I get it, and I'm right there with you. I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself. :cool:

Not sure if you caught my post on this earlier, but getting to the forth bolt is actually very easy.

All you have to do is take out the first 3 fasteners along the fender where the inner fender liner is attached to the fender. The liner is made of a very flexible plastic (at least mine are) and once the fasteners are out, you should be able to bend the fender liner out of the way and have clear and easy access to the forth bolt. No "blind" work required.

Shamal likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    hear ya on that. I just try to minimize disassembly unless totally necessary.

6. May 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    I just wanted to thank the OP, as I used his thread as a guideline and found it very useful.

Something I also encountered was the 4th screw which was definitely a pain in the ass...I used a wrench and it worked fine. Undid the 2 bottom fender screws and that gave me wiggle room. I could also unscrew 80 percent of it with my bare hand, and then when replacing it using both hands to thread it was the best way for me.

Thanks again OP

[​IMG]

320KPlus and TacomaCZman like this.
  7. May 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....

:drunk::thumbsup:

8. May 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    east

east Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.E. N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4
    Thank you for the writeup, I have been wondering how to remove my headlights. I am considering an HID upgrade with projection headlights and it's necessary to modify the original headlights.

Eric

9. May 13, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    Twony

Twony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    South Philthy
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD 6 speed 4x4
    Got alot I want to do but we'll see, that's what the forum is for...
    DO IT, I just got my kit from theretrofitsource.com (5000 w/ projectors) and it has been popular on here. That's how I found out about it, I called and spoke to Nate who was very helpful. I just got my headlights disassembled last night and will be painting them this weekend. I will post pictures. I want that Krylon Orange stained spray that is impossible to find, like what Nightstr did to his lights that look great!

Thanks Twony

10. May 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    BLACKnBLUE

BLACKnBLUE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Iain
    Ellensburg, WA (Kittitas County)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 with ARB Front Bumper
    ARB front winch bar, 3" lift, blacked out badges, blacked out headlights, Custom Steel Rear Bumper Mod, and Leer 100XQ
    Looks nice!

100MEDIA_IMAG0072_ece401da2887a8113d1eea5b8681db40ef8a6172.jpg

I've been very happy with mine since I did it a few months back. I noticed you blacked out your parabolic reflectors for your turn signal/parking lights... are they still bright enough?

11. May 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    MetalRain

MetalRain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kenny
    florida
    3" lift headlight mod.. indash dvd player with backup camera ... overhead sirius radio... HHO... scangauge2... vent visors... TRD seat covers... mounted streamlight in console... window tint... bed cover... K&N air filter... Tires and Rim upgrade... USB plug in behind console... bug shield... Upgraded all speakers in truck and installed two subs and amp behind rear seat
    nice right up and pictures.. I was going to do the same thing.. since my taco is a 06 my running lights are always on.... my lens for my running lights were getting burned ... so, after checking prices for one lens and then have to heat them up... take them apart.... paints... etc..... I decided to change the whole look..... I should have taken pictures but, it was only about 20 min. to do both lights.... btw...you can see my 2 stage 4 liter each HHO

2011-05-20 09.57.19.jpg
    2011-05-20 10.01.09.jpg
    2011-05-20 10.01.22.jpg

08TacoExp likes this.
  12. May 20, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    MetalRain

MetalRain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kenny
    florida
    3" lift headlight mod.. indash dvd player with backup camera ... overhead sirius radio... HHO... scangauge2... vent visors... TRD seat covers... mounted streamlight in console... window tint... bed cover... K&N air filter... Tires and Rim upgrade... USB plug in behind console... bug shield... Upgraded all speakers in truck and installed two subs and amp behind rear seat
    sorry, forgot to say this in my last post... the 4th bolt... damn... really its a piece of cake... if you don't have a lift... lay on your back with a 10mm wrench... reach up and fill .. there will be 1 - 10mm nut and 1 - 10mm bolt... the nut is on a stud.. which is below the bolt that you need to take out ... tip.. once lights are back in.... install the 2 top screws... but, leave loose.... install the 4th bolt . then adjust the light by tighten the 2 top screws.... then tighten all others.... hope this helps...

Shamal, 320KPlus and TacomaCZman like this.
  13. May 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    Hams98

Hams98 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner
    K&N RAM Air Intake Altezza Tail lights
    I wish I would've looked at this post before I attempted my headlight swap. That fourth bolt drove me crazy for much longer than it should have. I read my Haynes manual and it suggested I should remove the front bumper cover before I remove the headlights. But with my Bull bar installed, that would've made this install even worse. Needless to say I finally used the 10mm wrench and half situp method and got the job done. I love the new look

IMGP0961.jpg

Shamal and TacomaCZman like this.
  14. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    Kms254

Kms254 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    Overhead Compass/Temp, TRD Sport Suspension, Nitto EXO Grappler 265/70/17
    Exactly what I did! Just feel and do it blind it was quite easy!

15. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts

Out of all the headlights ive done, and all the peeps i know who done the mod i cant remember any of them putting back in the 4th bolt. its such a bitch to get out and even harder to put back in, atleast on an x-runner they are

To the OP... Nice job looks great..

16. Jul 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    Pickin n Grinnin

Pickin n Grinnin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    FL/WNC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC TRD sport
    That fourth bolt was easy when besides the two screws the clip on the plastic fender cover was removed and the wheel was turned all the way to the inside. Piece of cake then to loosen and tighten back up

TacomaCZman likes this.
  17. Jul 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    yeah it easy to do the hard part was twisting it out from the front bumper and not scratching shit.

18. Aug 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    Rikkitik

Rikkitik Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    SW '08 PreRun OR (current)
    Revtek HL's, 5100's, Billet grille, DVD4300, JL, Focal w/Seas tweeters with my own x-over, JL 10" cust. box
    Big thanks to the OP and forum! Piece of cake, even with the "let's see pop this up, uh - pull this out.....", OEM's out Revtek's in - 1 hour 45 min. - done. 4th bolt is not a job for my ne'er do well left hand though :cool:, my right "see's" sooo much better :D.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  19. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    &erson

&erson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunshine State
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    Wet Okoles, Weathertechs, All-Pro Rear Bumper/Hitch & Sliders
    x2, just swapped out my lights in just over an hour
    thanks for the 4th bolt tip. Alot easier to have the knowledge of what's going on prior to messing w/ it.
    Didnt really have any problems removing lights, jiggle a bit & rotate center-side of light upward 90 degrees.

Shamal, 320KPlus and TacomaCZman like this.
  20. Sep 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Good pic Anthony!!

:thumbsup: