1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headliner is falling off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bra, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Apr 24, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    bra

bra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC 4X4 TRD sport
    Badges off
    Hello

I started to notice that my headliner begins to fall off in the middle front, just where the windshield is.

What can I do before everything falls?

Have a nice day

2. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    ryfox0276

ryfox0276 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 4x4
    Can you get between the headliner and the fabric, or is it falling like a bubble in the middle?

This happened to me in an old car, right where you are describing. I used some fabric adhesive and a popsicle stick to apply it.

It was something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-Supe...t=&hvlocphy=9021359&hvtargid=pla-313807128179

Be careful as the fabric is very thin and it'll soak thru very easily, creating an obvious mark in the headliner. So lay the glue on very thin. A spray adhesive may be better, but harder to work with in the tight space.

bra[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    bra

bra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC 4X4 TRD sport
    Badges off
    Yeah it is not a bubble, I'm not really sure it is falling but there's definitely a space between the fabric and the headliner. So the sunshade doesn't fit anymore and is very tight there lol

4. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    Inbred

Inbred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phinnius
    Vehicle:
    2nd generation euphoria
    When the headliner falls it's like Christmas. Enjoy it, it is a rare event that warrants celebration.

steelcity2, nick_b and bra[OP] like this.
  5. Apr 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    I had this happen to a car years ago. I sprayed adhesive between the layers and stuck it back up. It started falling again in a few months. The thin foam layer is degrading and breaking down. You can use the twist pins like grandma used to hold the cover on her couch or you can take it down, scrape all the old foam off and recover it. In my opinion, anything you do with adhesives will look crappy and will be difficult to clean up later.

bra[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    nothing
    when it fails, re-upholster it and enjoy having cool looking new suede/replica alcantara that's about $14 per yard

it's a Tacoma
    shouldn't be too hard to drop the headliner and maybe take it to a headliner shop to re-wrap it
    no annoying sunroof cutout to deal with
    might be able to drive like that while they wrap it

unless you DIY in a garage
    the process is kind of a pain
    it involves scraping off the old glue, then using DAP Landau Top Trim adhesive (in a bucket) run through the correct spray paint gun powered via air compressor,
    to spray that over the headliner board before laying down the new foam-backed auto UV-resistant fabric

-you have to get it right; if you peel it back up, the new foam can rip
    -it may require skilled hands experienced at doing this (hence the shop rec.)
    -it will stink and make fumes; hence the shop rec. or any way to do it in ventilated air
    -will take maybe 24 dry/cure time sitting upward with gravity working on the fabric
    -needs a way to wrap, secure, and pressure the new fabric over curvy parts. Some people use wooden dowels clamped into tight curvy areas to help hold pressure on it. Because you can't exactly hire 20 hands to hold squeezed the fabric while glue dries just standing there for 24 hours
    -re-install

any other adhesive will suck and not work well
    such as the aerosol 3m spray cans at home depot

question is what fabric to use, where to get it, which color is best, and if it will all match
    on one side, if you find a fabric that replicates OEM finish, you may not have to re-do the pillars. If they're even fabric. I forget.
    Or if it's not the same, now it will be mis-matched.
    IDK how the pillars are upholstered (if at all); I've never had them out.
    But sometimes on cars, they are upholstered much stronger than the headliner board and tend to fail less or never. And are also harder to get the old fabric off.

would not advise injecting glue via syringe into/above the headliner
    might as well recommend taking a used tire with 0/32" tread, belt showing, 200k miles, 10 punctures in the sidewall, and slapping a piece of masking tape on it instead of replacing it

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    bra[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 24, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    00SLVR

00SLVR New Member

Member:
    Use 3M Headliner Fabric Spray Adhesive. The method in this video works really well.

bra[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top