1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headwinds..Real World data...ugh

Discussion in 'Towing' started by collin99, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Apr 14, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    collin99

collin99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    On Saturday I towed my new (for me)23' Komfort travel trailer 120 miles to visit our daughter and do a little shakedown cruise. Wind conditions were calm. The trailer GVWR is 5800 lbs.

I used cruise control all the way as a comparison. At 55 mph My 2008 Tacoma TRD (automatic) was able to stay in 4th (2400 rpm) on most gentle highway grades and downshifted to 3rd on the steeper ones (no mountain grades). Mileage was about 12 mpg.

Coming home there was a 20-30 mph headwind. Totally different story. The engine could not maintain 4th even on the gentle grades and stayed in 3rd most of the time. It actually downshifted to 2nd (5000rpm!!) on hills it had previously done in 3rd. Mileage fell to 9mpg.

I will definitely carry a couple of jerry cans of gas for long trips. Don't get me wrong. I love the truck and think it's a great multipupose vehicle. It just won't do everything really well.

2. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That is a beefy trailer...and a STIFF wind...I'd say your Taco handled itself pretty well.
    I will say- I dig having my manual for better rpm jump control...

3. Apr 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    collin99

collin99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, I agree the truck itself handled the conditions well. Comparing it to my friend's 06 Tundra V8, towing a similar trailer, it felt about the same, suspension wise and with minimal sway. I guess it's more of a cautionary tale for those who might think it will tow like a v8.

4. Apr 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags

Campared to 06 tundra V8,it felt about the same. Cautionary tale for those who might think it will tow like a V8??????:confused::confused:

vince

5. Apr 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Yeah I've had a similar experience with my 26' TT. In my opinion though if you're getting into the 30mph wind area it's time to pull over or delay your trip until the wind dies down. The truck does very will with the large loads however it's still on the light side and a good gust of wind against the side of your trailer will give you a fright if you're not carefull.

Products Discussed in

To Top