1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tarheelfan_08, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Ok guys I have a major question that I need a good answer to fast! A friends of mine's Health Insurance has just ran out(they stop taking care of you when you turn 20.....sucks I know) But they cant really afford good insurance cause they are in college! And idk what to do! I offered to help pay with whatever they get....cause you need insurance! I mean you never know when you could get hurt or sick or something! So guys please help me out so I can help them out! I think this would be the best Christmas present I could give!!!

2. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:53 PM
    bremertaco

bremertaco Member

Member:
    Bremerton, Washington
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab SR-5, 4cyl 5 spd
    K&N air filter, monster knob shift knob, popnlock tailgate lock, raider canopy
    hey -- i think that some states have health-insurance plans for the low/no-income folks. (your friend may have to pay some percentage of his income, but he/she would get some basic coverage), or someone at his college student assistance / advisory office may be able to point him/her in the right direction.
    best of luck --

3. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Check out your local Farm Bureau. Here, they offer health insurance to members. Sometimes it's cheaper than going direct with the insurance company. Just an option to explore.

4. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    if yall have links to good place it would b a lot of help! I really appreciate it everyone this means a lot to me and them!!

5. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Doesn't his college offer some sort of low-cost health insurance? Most schools do. I would check with the school's health services.

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    they are about to graduate and want be there much longer

7. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Well, I would still check with them to see if they have other alternatives for people in his similar situation.

8. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Sorry man, I looked at the NC Farm Bureau and they don't offer health insurance. :( I should've looked before I posted. :frusty: If your friends are young and healthy, some might say they'd be ok in the short term without insurance. At least until they have a job with hopefully a company health plan. It's a gamble, dangerous, and not ideal, but try hard to not get into any major accidents.

9. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    they have not had it for a year now!

10. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:15 PM
    hud445

hud445 Member

Member:
    Glendale az
    Vehicle:
    08 TACO TRD DBL CAB 4X4 6cyl
    If he is a fuul time student it should. My parents covered me till 21 when I was in college.

Some questions:

What were his intentions prior to turning 20?

His employer does not offer ins?

His family can't help?

He is lucky having you as a friend to help out, & I agree you should always have ins.

11. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    They had it untill they turned 20 then the family insurance dropped them! The family does not have a lot of money and they are part time so the employer will not offer anything!

12. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM
    hud445

hud445 Member

Member:
    Glendale az
    Vehicle:
    08 TACO TRD DBL CAB 4X4 6cyl
    Probably your best bet. If you get seriously sick or hurt just go to the hospital. They can't refuse you. Hell, the U.S. gives away millions of dollars of free Medical care away daily to illegals.

13. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    What would you consider affordable? Check on eHealthInsurance for some quotes. They have some inexpensive plans for college students (~$50/month for Blue Cross or Aetna).

Check out HHS too.

14. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Get married..."Chuck and Larry"

My wife and I were re-enrolling in our benefits and my insurance covers "domestic partners"

Problem solved...

Marc M

15. Dec 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Good luck with the search, I looked into insurance for me and my wife they wanted $900-1000.00 a month:eek::eek:. I was self employed for 10 years and then i spent five days in the hospital and rang up like $75000.00 in bills. Then come to find out my wife and I made to much money for assistance but not enough to pay the whopping monthly premiums. Then you have the people that are worthless to society that have all the insurance they need.:mad::rant::rant:. Anyhow I had to close my business and get a job that i really don't care for but the benefits are good, and at least i still have a job in this rough economy. Even if they could just get an insurance that would cover major problems only would be good, I wish i went that way. I didn't think I would have a major issue I was young and healthy.

16. Dec 7, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I had insurance through my school. Eligibilty depended on enrollment in the school (not graduation status.) After he graduates he needs to go find a full time job (even if it sucks) just to get the health insurance.

17. Dec 7, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    i would look into a high deductible insurance plan (2500-5000) and setup a Health savings account (HSA). thats what i have and for single people who don't go to the doctor much, it works out good once you save enough to cover your deductible if needed

Products Discussed in

To Top