1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heat limit of stock OR shocks

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by HalfWayThere, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nov 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I bought my truck last night (DCSB TRD OR) and this afternoon we had it out on some rough roads. Mostly just bumpy but some sections were 4wd required. I was in low range a lot to help regulate speed up and down hills and I'd say I was averaging about 10-15mph. For the first hour or so, things were great and I was very happy with the capability for a stock suspension. Later in the trip, I was coming down hill and in more of hurry and after 20 minutes or so I perceived that the shocks were not doing their job as well. I assumed it was the shocks getting hot and the oil thinning out.

Is this really what's happening? Is this typical? I remember my 1st gen doing the same thing.

Will upgraded shocks put up with more abuse? Does having an external reservoir make a real difference? I'm looking for first hand experience vs. stock if you've got it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 29, 2015 at 4:51 AM
    gsxxr

gsxxr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma trd sport
    3" lift, goodyear wrangler duratracs 285/70r17, k&n filter, bakflip vp tonneau and tint.
    Yes a good set of aftermarket shocks designed for heavy off roading will help hugely.

But you didn't even give anything time to break in. Unless you're doing heavy off roading all the time I'd give them some time before replacing them. See how they hold up and work a few thousand miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top