1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heater A/C fan gone out again

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yamabiker, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    yamabiker

yamabiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Last summer my fan just quite working in my 2006 Tacoma. After a day, it worked again. About a couple of weeks later, it did it again. Checked all fuses both times; all were fine. Since then (several months) the fan has worked without any problems. Fast forward to December 16, 2011-after driving around shopping for a couple of hours it quit again. The fan does not work on any fan setting.
    This seems to be different from the others who have replaced their fan motors. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any solutions?

Cold tonight, I will check the fuses in the morning.

Thanks

Yamabiker

2. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I thought my problem was different than others who have posted about this because my fan would not work on any setting including the high setting. Seems like all with this problem had a fan at the high setting. I went out today to see the fan would work and it didn't. I opened and closed (medium slam) the glove box and the fan started working. So, I guess it is the resistor connection and or resistor.

Yamabiker

3. Dec 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    This is crazy. My fan is working now, for the moment anyway. I plan on pulling the resistor and connector. Not looking forward to it as it is 23F and dropping, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yamabiker

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    Jeffsdeere

Jeffsdeere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC4wd
    BAMF Sliders All Pro Rear Bumper 5100's @.85
    sounds like it is the fan itself not the resistor. I had this problem and replaced the fan and cabin air filter for about 40 bucks from rockauto. Compare that to 200 from the dealer

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to tell if it is the fan motor and not the resistor without removing either? Was the fan easy to replace. I imagine it is near the resistor.

Yamabiker

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    The blower is easy to remove, just unclip the wiring harness and take out three screws and it drops out.

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I removed the resistor and it looks clean. No burn marks on the connector, connector contacts, metal blades, resistor, etc. as in pictures posted by others. I moved the blades on the resistor a tad and reconnected to ensure a good contact. I wiggled, tapped, etc. on it with out any luck.

Anyone else get this far with similar results? I can get a resistor for $32 tomorrow, but it appears to be fine to me. I do have a volt meter; anyone know if I can test it and what setting I would use?

Help this freezing Taco Driver

Yamabiker

taco resistor1 (Small).jpg
    taco resistor2 (Small).jpg

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    OK this is crazy. After inspecting and monkeying with the resistor, I put it back in. I took out the fan to check it over. It doesn't squeak; looks good. I put it back in and the fan speed controls all work!?!? Fan wire plug was very tight and very difficult to remove. I just hope it keeps working now. My worst fear is there is problem with the wiring to the controls or in the harness.

Thawing in Utah
    Yamabiker

9. Jan 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    falbradawg

falbradawg Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4cyl
    I think I have the same issue. When everyone says "fan does not work" does that mean you turn the knob and nothing happpens or the air blows but it does not blow hot or cold.

My problem started in Aug 2011 and the a/c only worked (was cold) on high. Then it just stopped being cold. The heat worked sometimes and now not at all. I will check that connector thing then check back here.

Btw my cousin is a toyota mechanic and he has never seen this problem...... thank you!!

10. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    yamabiker

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    My fan would not work at all for hot or cold. After I took the fan motor off and put it back on, it worked and has worked for 1 month so far. Must have been a connection. If your fan works on high, probably the resistor.

Yamabiker

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    falbradawg

falbradawg Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4cyl
    Well even on high I get cold air with heat on.....

12. Jan 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    rexntex

rexntex Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rex
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 quad cab 4x4
    my 03 only blows air when moving. temp works fine. but its not blowing out with any strength.

Products Discussed in

To Top