1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heater fan chirps??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Nov 22, 2008 at 3:55 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    While driving back from the woods I noticed my heater fan chirps a little on the low setting, it is not real bad but noticable. If you put it on a higher speed it goes away. Any ideas :confused:, can it be fixed? or should I just live with it and turn the radio up a little :)

2. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Many threads on this. Mine did it also, but I just had it replaced, so I never dove into it to find the problem.

3. Nov 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    ap53

ap53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    I’m in the same boat, First I found wooden stick in the fan so I thought that was it but the next day same thing so I took the whole fan assembly apart and did not find any thing in there. I also oil the motor bearing it helped but the noise is still there it goes away sometimes I think I will oil the motor bearings one more time and if the noise does not go away I’m buying new fan.

4. Nov 22, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    ap53

ap53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Yo don’t need any pics this is very simple, I just took the fan out of the truck and those two balancing screws are under plastic cover .
    1.First you need to unplug the power from the fan
    2. You will need 7/32 socket to remove 3 screws that hold the fan assembly.
    3. now that the fan is out there is plastic cover that you need to take out for this you need fillips screw driver.
    4 Now you can see balancing screws.
    5 Take the fan back to the truck and plug the power and turn the fan on and adjust the screws.
    Be careful when you turn the fan on because it’s exposed.

I just did this and by adjusting the balancing two screws helped, but the noise is still there so I don’t think I have choice but to order new motor.

5. Nov 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well first off it did not sound like a click or something hitting the fan, but a chirp.
    In any case I started to take it apart, when out, I started it to see the exact location it was coming from.....it is not their anymore :confused:
    OH well, guess I will wait and see if it comes back, from where I was at, it may have been a birdie :D

6. Feb 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    7A7ER

7A7ER FLYNN LIVES!

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Radiant Red Tacoma XCab PreRunner TRD
    Removed Step Bars, Hood Visor, OEM Bed Mat, Window Tint, Fog Lights Anytime, BFG All-Terrain KO2s, Removed Mud Flaps, Add A Leaf Recall, Color-Matched Grill and Bumper& Plasti-Dipped Badges!
    Thanx to phanton and eyedoc, my annoying chirp has went away!

My fan had quit working all together, so I took the fan out and lubed it with some 3 in 1, fan spun up like a champ, but the small squeak was back with a vengeance! LOL

It seems when I took the metal cover off I really got those 2 lil screws all outta wack. So this time, I lubed the shaft and bearings up with white lithium grease as suggested in another thread, and put her back together. However the chirp was still there, thus proving it's pretty much all in the 2 mounting screws for the bearing mount.

Now when I was holding the fan and adjusting the screws, I got the sound to go away. But to be sure I left the plastic cover off and installed it up in the truck. The chirp was Still there. So this time I just left the fan mounted, got a smaller phillips screwdriver and adjusted while mounted until I had beautiful sacred silence again.

Now, I did clean a Lot of caked on dirt off the fan blades, and that mysterious brown dust (see pics) that electric motors seem to create. But unless you just want to give your fan a good cleaning, I'd say just taking the plastic cover off and adjusting it in place would probably solve the chirping problem 90% of the time.

Thanks to everyone in all the fan motor threads for your suggestions, how to's, bewares and what not to do's!

:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What Is This Stuff?

7. Feb 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    super old thread you bumped here, hehe, but that dust is a mixture of environmental dust, light oils/grease that leaks out under high heat, and motor brush dust. brushes wear similar to...brake pads, and create metallic dust.

8. Feb 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    7A7ER

7A7ER FLYNN LIVES!

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Radiant Red Tacoma XCab PreRunner TRD
    Removed Step Bars, Hood Visor, OEM Bed Mat, Window Tint, Fog Lights Anytime, BFG All-Terrain KO2s, Removed Mud Flaps, Add A Leaf Recall, Color-Matched Grill and Bumper& Plasti-Dipped Badges!
    metallic dust... thanks bro,

so what your really saying, is that it's Metallica!
    :D

9. Feb 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    the fan would then be awesome. unfortunately the fan is NOT awesome and does suck.

maybe post-hair cut metallica? i'll settle for that, since they suck!

long hair metallica will forever be the only metallica i'll acknowledge.

Products Discussed in

To Top