1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello, first post, some questions for y'all

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by gs2000X, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Apr 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    gs2000X

gs2000X [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello!

First post on your site!

I'm looking for some opinions for anyone who has a late model crew cab, short bed 4x4 Tacoma.

I'm currently looking for a new Mid-size pickup as a daily driver. I have a 2014 Honda CRV I'm going to trade, it has an issue Honda says there is no fix for, (cold start VTC rattle) which is highly irritating but I won't get into all that here.

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer as my primary tow vehice and a 1989 Layton Travel trailer, that's 6,000 GVWR, probably between 5-6K loaded weight, it's about 23' ball to bumper. The X handles it OK, but I would not want anymore behind it. It's got the 5.4L Triton V-8 and Heavy Duty tow package. We camp about 5-6 times per year, no more than 100 miles from home, so nothing long distance.

What I'm wondering is in an emergency situation, if the X broke down, could I get the trailer home with the Tacoma without hurting it? I know it would be asking a lot of it, but again, this would only be in an emergency situation if the X broke down and I had to pick up the trailer with the Tacoma. I believe it could do it if I took my time and was careful, but I'd like to hear from you all. (obvisouly I'd install an electric brake control in the Taco)

No doubt the Layton is a pig, there's no other way to describe it than that, as most TT's from the 80's were.

I'm also looking at the competetion, I like the Nissan Frontier and the Chevy Colorado looks nice, but after years of spinning wrenches on all of them , I just don't trust "General Meyham" haha. (LOL). The 2016 Frontier looks nice, as does the 2016 Tacoma, but I know I would not get the same deal as I could on the 15's. The Toyota seems to be about 4-5k more than the Frontier in my area. I do think out of all The Toyota is the highest quality and would hold up best long term. But I've had that opinion of Honda and Toyota for a long time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Greg

2. Apr 13, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome!

3. Apr 13, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    AWalker

AWalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Tacoma Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB SR5
    O.M.E 885 Dakars nitros Snugtop allpro skids allpro bumper 4X inovations sliders Jayco pop up camper Torklift tiedowns
    Welcome! I used to tow a 180k Fleetwood Pioneer with my Tacoma. Weighed just under 5k wet and loaded. Flat towing was fine but struggled in the mt. passes and other hills. Wasn't only the weight, the shear size of the trailer would blow me around w side winds. Also the trailer was so wide it was hard to see even w mirror extensions. Thought about trading in for a truck better suited for the trailer but love my Tacoma way to much so sold the trailer. Yes it should be fine short distances and avoid steep hills, others do it. Wasn't for me though. Plan our your gas stops, got 9mpg towing that trailer. As for reliability, 80k miles no probs at all just changed fluids so far and suspension by choice.

4. Apr 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    gs2000X

gs2000X [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate them! Remeber this would NOT be my primary tow rig, just an emergency spare if I have a breakdown on the road and need to get the trailer home.

What is the rust issues/areas on the 3rd Gen Tacoma? Have they been resolved with the 2015? If not, should I be concerned? Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks.

5. Apr 13, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    The Taco with tow pkg is rated at 6500 lbs, if I recall correctly. Should be fine.

As far as the Tacoma vs Frontier goes... I have a Tacoma, but I also had a '95 hardbody for 13 years. 181,000 miles and the only parts I ever replaced was an alternator and a distributor. When I sold it... it was still running strong. I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

6. Apr 14, 2015 at 5:13 AM
    gs2000X

gs2000X [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the thoughts. I keep hearing about rust issues with the tacoma even the new ones. Is this still a concern? Where do they rust? Any other issues i need to know about?

7. Apr 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    koal

koal Well-Known Member

Member:
    No rust on my 2012 and it's been outside only. 2nd owner and first lived in Buffalo, so it seen some bad weather.

Products Discussed in

To Top