1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T100 VW tdi build project

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by VW fanboy, May 22, 2015.

1. May 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    VW fanboy

VW fanboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1994 toyota pickup 4wd DLX extended cab and 2012 VW Passat TDI SE
    Going to be doing a TDI swaperoo
    I'm new to this site and just want to shout out to everyone! I am buying soon(within the next week) a 1994 T100/([pre tacoma) that has a shot motor... head gasket cracked on it. I will be ripping out the motor and putting a VW Jetta TDI 1.9 L turbodiesel motor into it. I planning to do it as my hobby car to tinker on. I'm getting it for a really good price..

the immediate plan is first to rip out the old motor... and junk it for scrap....

then

Replace

Shocks (better shocks and suspension components), upgraded brakes,new fuel lines, drop the fuel tank and clean out any gasoline residue in the tank, rip out the stock gas filler neck and find off ebay a diesel fuel filler neck with the wider diesel truck pump neck and get a diesel fuel cap for inside the fuel door... Mount the Diesel fuel filler neck in place of the stock one.

leave tank aside until I install the engine sometime next spring.....

Replace all brake lines with steel cables, replace two rusted fender panels with 2 new primered body panels (that will be panted at a later stage once the project is finished)

Replace all Wheel bearings, bushings, control arms, etc....

Install a stage 1 clutch kit and basically rebuild the transmission and make sure everything is fine with the transmission...

Other things, i am still researching, but I am also going to be adding a VW specific OBD port under the dash to hook up to the ECU computer so I can pull engine codes in the future and so I can tune the engine with the aftermarket MALONE tuning that is out there for the VW engines.

Next spring, after i get my taxes back, i will be looking for an insurance write-off wrecked salvage VW JETTA TDI 1997-2005 year model with the VE-Injection TDI engine. (Ahu,ALH or maybe BEW engine code)
    I will use that salvage car wreck to pull wire harnesses, fuel pumps, engine, turbo (to resell),and any other parts I will need from that car to go into this project. I will also take the Jettas fuel tank with and use that as an aux tank in the truck. So I will have to get additional fuel pumps to put in both this tank and the t100's tank., I will set up one tank as a master and the other as an aux. tank that I can switch between.

Once I get all the parts and goodies i need out of the wrecked jetta, i'll haul it off to get scrap money for it (with a relatives truck)

I will then get the engine ready for install and put a stage 2 turbo on it, (a larger VW specific turbo) a Garret VNT 17/22.. the stock turbo is a bit smaller. I will then have the engine tuned to either a Stage 3 or stage 3 custom tune. I will also install better injectors and a 3 BAR Map sensor.

planning to shoot for 170 hp

I am also going to make it so I could run straight vegetable oil if I wanted to as well or run B5-B100 biodiesel.

I also will be taking the entire muffler/cat convertor out and putting in a High Performance Diesel CAT for all VW TDI's (2.5 or 3 inch) Magnaflow/easter catalytic.
    I will then install a straight-back 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust and a wider tip towards the end via a 3 to 4 inch restrictor.

also, as i am an amsoil dealer.. I will be putting nothing but amsoil in the truck for fluids, Engine oil, severe gear oils, transfer case oils, clutch fluid, brake fluid... and coolant.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    tcBob likes this.
  2. May 22, 2015 at 8:44 PM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Wow nice project.

3. May 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    Noahs2015Taco

Noahs2015Taco aka TheOverlandingDad

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Contra Costa County
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road - Manual w. TRD Quick Shifter
    King 2.5 25001-119A EXT with Icon Billet UCA giving a 2.5" lift in the front, Icon 2.0 w. remote resi, OME HD Dakar Leaf pack giving a 3" lift in the back. Wheelers Superbumprs paired with All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit. 17" Black 4Runner TRD Pro Rims - 32" for DD 17" Black 4Runner TRD Pro - 33" BFG KM2 255/80r17 for dedicated off road set. Dissent Offroad Bed Rack over a softopper
    Welcome to TW. Cool idea, I hope everything works out.

4. May 22, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    Love the idea... Subb'd

5. May 24, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    Taco Nation

Taco Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Clinton, MS
    Vehicle:
    94.5 F350, 77 F150, 74 F100, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Lift, wheels, tires
    I'd love to see this actually happen. Definitely sub'd. For future reference the T100 is an early tundra not tacoma.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. May 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Oh...I thought it was an early tacoma...you learn something new everyday ...

I'm going to look at the truck tomorrow...has 216,000 miles... dead engine with cracked head...he wants 350..but willing to negotiate.. I'm going to try for 200 cuz.. 1. I got to rent a uhaul trailer and borrow my gf brother in laws truck and pull it about 40 miles to a 100 miles depending on where I'm going to leave it sit til I get some parts and start working on it... (relatives letting me keep there and work on it cuz I can't work on stuff at my apartment) <--I might be moving soon so then I'l have a garage to work on it.

It's been a idea in my head for a while now...just hoping the pieces fall into place to make this happen

7. Jun 1, 2015 at 5:30 PM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    update.. the truck is now mine.. ... i did an even trade for it so no $$ changed hands really...

Frame is good.. but im gonna have to work with the bed... theres one hole that rusted through the bed liner... thinking to sand around the edges of the rust spot on the strongest metal part and then on either side welding a 16 guage 12x12 sheet metal piece and then buffing that and then spraying it with rustoleum black enamel or something and then clean up the bed a bit and then put that roll on/spray on bedliner in the bed and hopefully no more rust forms...otherwise the underbody looks in decent shape.. no rust holes anywhere that i can see in the underbody frame...

8. Jun 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    interesting.

9. Jun 2, 2015 at 3:05 AM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    its a 2.4 L 24-re engine with w56 E transmisson from what i gather.. trying to find a good stage 2-4 clutch kit.. seems they have different diameters listed on jcwhitney

10. Jun 2, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    Taco Nation

Taco Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Clinton, MS
    Vehicle:
    94.5 F350, 77 F150, 74 F100, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Lift, wheels, tires
    From what I understand you don't want to go past stage 3 for daily driving. I guess stage 4 or 5 has a much stiffer pressure plate which makes releasing the clutch smoothly impossible

11. Jun 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Ok that's what I figured..any stage 3 clutch out there?

12. Jun 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
  13. Jun 18, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG] here is the truck....
    went out and looked at it where its sitting at the guys work.. Going to be picking it up within a month. Currently in the process of packing up and moving from where I'm living now into a place that has a garage that I could work on this in. Will start on some repairs sometime in August.

First things on the agenda so far is:

1. Rip out and replace stock carpeting with new carpeting from :
    http://www.varkmotors.com/1994-TOYOT...S_p_84880.html

going to go with a color that seems close to the same carpeting color in my VW 2012 passat tdi.. which is a light cream/beige color.

2. Drop fuel tank and clean out tank.

3. Rip out fuel line and replace.

4. Either get rust spots in the Bed patched up with spot welded metal sheets, then roll/brush on the waterproof bedliner after spraying the metal sheeting with undercoating on underside and the top side with rustoleum enamel in black, and then put an aftermarket liner over the top..
    or
    plan b is going to a local pick a part and salvaging a bed off a 1993 they have.. its the same color even.. and no rust.. but i wont be able to get around to getting possibly because they might be crushing that truck within a couple weeks, since I dont have a place to put it until i move to the new apartment at the end of July.

5. Rip out stock motor and sell to guy at work or try craigslist for more $$

6. New suspension components, then probably done for the winter..... which give me time to amass more parts more specifically related to the TDI portion of the build.

7. I also plan to sand blast the underbody and then at some stage get it coated with underbody or frame saver.

I am also going to sandblast the front brush guard and then coat it with black rustoleum or plastidip the brushguard.

Once the ball gets rolling, I will be sure to document things as i go.

14. Jun 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    Nice. I've thought about this same swap as well. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

15. Jun 19, 2015 at 1:04 AM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
  16. Jun 19, 2015 at 1:25 AM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
  17. Jun 19, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    It'll be cool to see it done! I imagine it'll be pretty slow with that engine under it though

18. Jun 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    I had seen this done to a jeep w/ the vw diesel engine, and it was s beast. It would go anywhere it was pointed w/ all the torque it made after upgrading the turbo, internals injectors.
    Damn wish I had the space, this is the build so many people want Toyota yo just do for us already. The rest of the world gets them but not us.

19. Jun 20, 2015 at 6:34 AM
    VW fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Yea i plan on starting with a 90 hp @153 ft/lb torque stock ALH or AHU or 1z/ahu .. then upgrade the turbo,injectors, 12 mm fuel pump maybe.. and chip to stage 3 malone and then a stage 1 HD plate clutch in the toyota transmission.. hoping to pull out 153-160 hp and close to 300 ft/lb torque... sooo i dont know what
    Holy schmidt is on.. the stock toyota motor in it now is a 2.4L at 113 hp and 155 ft/lb torque.. that vw set up will blow the socks of the stock motor..also.. i plan on doing either 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  20. Jun 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Anything that says Malone is the shit.
    My wife drives a '10 TDI sportwagon, I'm trying to do the chip and some other upgrades in between working on my truck.
    You should be able to get 180hp and 300lb ft. If you can get it dialed in.

Products Discussed in

To Top