1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello, sell me on a Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Honestus, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    Honestus

Honestus [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    So I want to be honest. I was on another forum and was directed here. I am looking at buying a new truck, right now I have a 2012 Wrangler, but after buying a home I need a truck. I don't have the room for a full size and I'm afraid if my wife drove a full size, actually I'm afraid of her driving period, so I'm looking at a midsized truck. Needless to say in the US there aren't a lot of options. If I had my way I'd buy a Mitsubishi L200 Diesel (I had one overseas and you can't kill them, really I tried its impossible). With my options what they are I need to be sold on the Toyota. It has less HP and torque than the new Frontier but better resale. I always wonder about the resale though, if I love a vehicle that much why would I want to get rid of it?

Anyways I figure I'll go to the source for Tacomas, as I'm seriously considering it. I want to hear atypical arguments, not about it's a Toyota or other vague answers. I need actual reasons to spend 30K on a truck that's midsized and I want experiance. Please help me and let me know why I should spend my money on a Tacoma vs a Frontier or waiting till the new Colorado comes out. Thanks for your help.

2. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Look the Tacoma has a reputation for being ultra reliable. It has a good safety rating and gets decent fuel economy. Also it would help if you gave us more information on what cab, package and options you want. Also welcome.

3. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can get heated mirrors

4. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    Oh come on!....who is letting out all this info that toyotas are reliable,and great Offroad! First rule about TW is you don't talk about TW.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Vegas4x4

Vegas4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    martin
    LAs Vegas. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew cab tacoma V6 4.0L 4x4
    super 40 flowmaster AFE Pro Dry Antidark Under the hood LED Wet Okole in camo WeatherThec floor liner
    Hi Honest,
    I was too like you cant decided which midsize truck to buy frontier, tacoma, or even s10.
    It took me almost a yr tp decided finally take the tacoma cause the reason more people's own tacoma rather than other brand means tacoma more reliable also tacoma has more accessories option compare to others, a up resale value just another bpnus to keep

6. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Thanks for the welcome. I want a king or crew cab 4X4 with V6 heated seats and remote start, maybe some factory tube side steps. I don't want all the thrills... I have USAA priving and am still active military so I get a great deal on it. I just have to make up my mind on a vehicle.

Thanks for the response.

7. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    I have heated mirrors in my Jetta, my Jetta is a piece of shit... You gotta do better than that.

8. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

uh oh

9. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    I'm going from a Wrangler to truck, possibly a Toyota, don't pretend for a second a Tacoma can touch a Wrangler off road.

10. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

:eek:

11. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    lmao

12. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    Unlike a ton of vehicles nowadays, you can still actually wrench on it in your own driveway. I enjoy mine because it's functional, nimble, and gets OK mileage. But most importantly, it truly is a truck you can make your "own" easily. Tons of mods from basic to extreme are available as an owner.

Oh, and I forgot…. You can then turn your productive day into an unproductive one by being in the TacomaWorld Forum. Tons of info in here about literally everything Tacoma and there are some "unique" characters in here as well. Owning a Tacoma makes you a part of the family. We help each other out, for example, a guy just hydroshocked his motor and a group of guys have gotten together to raise money to buy him another engine.

Where else would you find that?

13. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    The Tacoma doesn't come with remote start but if you get the TRD off road package you can get katzkin leather seat covers with heaters for way less than the limited package. You should also know that most guys on here would recommend the viper remote start system since it seems to be the best.

14. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    Your right...the jeep has to make the trip there first with no problems. :rolleyes:

15. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    If you need a truck because of the bed the long bed Tacoma is the way to go. Just make sure the extra length will fit in your garage. The short bed trucks aren't that great as a work truck but just fine for small tasks.

As far as resale value and reliability go, people don't trade in their Tacoma's because they break often. They do it because their needs have changed. This helps drive the resale value since people buying a used truck know they are buying a solid vehicle even though its used.

RJM

16. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    If you buy one and hangout here for a while, you will realize that's not true… It's just a lie Chrysler has sold for a long, long time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  17. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    Those are fighting words:quickdraw:

18. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    I've seen the resale value, 62% of its value after 5 years, 74% after 3 years, and I mean this with all due respect and am absolutely not being a dick, but why would I care about resale if I love the truck? I shouldn't want to get rid of it.

I love love LOVE my Jeep, but I have rented 9 trucks in a year because I can't fit materials for remodeling my house in it. I am buying a truck to remedy that and will buy an older Jeep too for the off road bit. I have bought very few cars in my life and typically drive them till they die.

19. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    Noe this is where you are wrong man. Toyotas are legendary off road I mean look in Africa and south america they don't use jeeps they use toyotas. If you give a Tacoma a lift kit and bigger tires it can match a jeep pretty easily and once get a Tacoma off road you will be surprised.

20. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    DCLB with heated mirrors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top