1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello, sell me on a Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Honestus, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    And BTW, "off-roading" means a LOT of different things. For my type of off-roading, which is extended back country travel, the Wrangler sucks because it does not have the cargo capacity to carry lots of fuel, water, and gear.

2. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    Hritz

Hritz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    GA
    Vehicle:
    kick ass!

Fuck free fall we have hit terminal velocity!!

3. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I've been here since post 1.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Its not smart to go on a forum and trash talk the guys on there. We were trying to help him but I guess he just wanted to cause a problem or something.

6. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I'm not a brand loyal type of gal but think bamatoy hit the nail on the head. When you narrow down the market in the mid truck range, your choices are limited. Yeah I guess you could roll the dice on that new canyon/Colorado whatever it is that is coming out but first year buy? No thanks.
    Honestly, I bought my first Toyota truck back in 1987 because Michael J Fox drove that badass one in Back to the Future. God I loved him and that truck!
    Since my first one treated me well (100k no probs), I bought another in 1990. Than another in 1995. That 95 was a keeper & went to hell & back 250k when I sold it 10 yrs later to a friend, he squeezed another 90k out of it until it literally rusted away.

Rust seems to be the biggest Toyota issue though Toyota Motor Corp does stand up and buy back at 150% or replace the frames. They also did a National Campaign back in the 90s for head gaskets that were poorly made, not many other manufacturers stand up in such a way that I know of.

Now my 2006 & 2013s have been great trucks with the little quirks, seat belt retractions sux, missing switch lights (4x4 & windows), no freakin heated mirrors stock (yes OZ gotta mention that), some driveline vibes & the infamous valve tick but I absolutely love them and work them to pieces. Oh yeah forgot I had a tundra in between that was too darn big but was pretty sweet.

So yeah I feel its worth dropping 30k on one..yep use USAA pricing it will be a great deal. Lastly I did have a Jeep Cheerokee once that was a great rig too. Good luck with whatever you decide, welcome to TW, you fit right in :)

7. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    Page one. I got in at the end of that one. Before.. All of this..

8. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Very true on resale value, but one never knows..

I'm a "drive it into the ground" type as well, especially if I'm financing. I bought a 2006 Chevy Colorado as my first new vehicle after 15 yrs of owning GM only. 5 yrs in right after I paid it off the engine died at 78K gentle and well-maintained miles. The headaches and lies by GM at all levels led me to get rid of it..among others, GM telling me it's normal. I got a decent price for it thankfully.

Also, value in general will matter if it gets hit or totalled. Not something one can plan for but it can happen.

For me, Toyota buying back my wife's 13 yr old Tacoma for double the value showed me that Toyota cares about a customer.

9. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    Honestus

Honestus [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet

True, but name anyone of them better than the Jeep can do. With the right money you can certainly make a Tacoma a mean off roader, but how many people would put their own money on a stock one to go the Fordyce trail? I won't even get into the top 5 Jeep trails as you need to lift a Jeep for them. This isn't a knock on the Tacoma, its just what it's made to do. This is more fitting to saying a Jeep can't haul the same load as a Tacoma. It's not an insult it's engineering.

10. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Wondering why the OP doesn't just buy a trailer for his Jeep. Saves a lot of money. Not exactly sure what he needs to haul.

11. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    Dude as we said earlier the jeep is a totally different beast than the tacoma but the tacoma has more flexibility than a jeep does.

12. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    His ego....

13. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    We have a winner!!

14. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    What he said,,,

15. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    I'm proud of you! I knew you could talk without cussing at me.

So, aside from the obvious price differences, you need to think about what you are going to be hauling with your truck. Lumber, atv's, etc. Our beds are not steel, but made out of some synthetic type material that is strong and light. Knowing what you want to get out of the truck will help you out more. Also, your location is a factor. Where do you live, i.e. snow, desert, mountains, beach and if you are still stationed somewhere, how long will you be there, and where will you go next. Everyone on here has nothing but good things to say about our trucks. And we all pretty much dont like the Nissans. Maybe you should check out the nissan frontier forums as well. I notice they spend alot of time bashing tacomas and we rarely ever mention them here, unless someone brings them up like you did. They are very defensive about their frontiers and show alot of buyers remorse in their posts. You dont see alot of buyers remorse here, unless it has to do with color, cab size, bed size...personal taste issues.

16. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    I don't know why, maybe scotch maybe not, but this had me laughing. I love my Jeep and will always own one. I don't want to buy a trailer, I need a truck. If I mention trailer my wife may get ideas... She gets a new SUV and the old Jeep for summer, I get the Truck and boat. The new Colorado is supposed to have a diesel option but I won't touch one for 2-3 years, once they work out the kinks I'm sure it'll be bad ass.

17. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    MedicMutt

MedicMutt Purveyor of Useless Information

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    OME suspension, Whiteline bushings, Line-X'd Jason topper, GoRhino "Grille Guard", many more...
    Did your Jetta have a transverse mount motor? That would be the first big obstacle to overcome during maintenance. No such issue on the Taco!

My '03 was bought in 2006 used after only having one owner, and I've had it since. I love my little truck! Working on it has never been much of an issue, and there's a huge community of enthusiasts standing by to offer up advice; similar to the Jeep community. I am unaware if there is the same following for Nissan, since I have never needed it.

I will say this, it has been an absolute pleasure owning and operating my truck. I highly doubt you will be disappointed if you pull the trigger on a Taco.

Can't and won't dig on the Jeep folks. Every person has their own flavor. Welcome to the forum, btw. Hope you find the info you're looking for.

18. Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I've "wheeled" with countless people in easy to moderate off-roading, nothing like some of the guys in here. It's just my opinion but I think my Tacoma with about $2,500 in mods is better at a few things: Sandy beaches, snowy/icy forest roads, deep snow, Ice around town and it's FAR more comfortable doing all of those things. Oh, and I drive it back and forth to work 80 miles round trip every day and it's comfortable as hell.

Plus I have a family of 4, so I can fit everyone with all of our gear .. easily.

19. Jan 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Because I can buy a new truck? A pontoon boat from the launch up 100 yards up to my parking spot (said somewhere around 16th post, as I use my neighbors tractor now) and also when I want to go skiing or up to Canada to with the sleds... I need a truck to do what trucks do otherwise I wouldn't be here pissing all you off. Jeeps are good at one thing, that one thing is not what a Tacoma is good at. That is the reason I wanted to learn more about a Tacoma.

20. Jan 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    Honestus

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cuse
    Vehicle:
    None yet

Very true, I usually go into the mountains and pack up 20-30 miles, I don't carry much with me because whats in the car goes on my back eventually. Very good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top