1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hellwig Sway Bars for 3rd Gen?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Dirty Harry, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    TacomaGinger

TacomaGinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel, Bedrug, Grillcraft
    I still have the stock tires that came with the off road and haven't driven in rain much. They handle fine otherwise but just looking for a litttle more piece of mind if there's a "what if" type situation.

2. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    really the question about sway bars in this application is how much do you drive off road, if any. the peace of mind so to speak from a sway bar isn't really a safety factor as VSC will take care of your business, believe me. but if you want to feel added confidence through how your truck handles, then a sway bar may be a part of it... it is for me. but it's all about how i drive the truck and knowing how it handles.

i put the sway bar on because it rolled so much on the street that i couldn't toss it around well enough and i wasn't having any fun. i added the sway bar so i could reduce the roll and toss the truck around more. added the Sumosprings and can toss more yet. i'm actually having a total blast driving the thing now, and i'm on the soft setting. i can change to the 2nd hole at some point if i feel like giving up some compliance.

TacomaGinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    TacomaGinger

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Mostly on road driving right now. I wanted a sway bar for when I end up moving and towing a big uhaul trailer. Not looking forward to that...so anything that puts my mind a little more at ease I'm ok spending a few hundred on :thumbsup:

4. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    for that Sumosprings is the recommendation. a sway bar won't help with your towing, but the sumos are designed just for it. you'll get a bit of swaybar-like action from them as well. having both, like me, will change up your handling and feel of the drive. it's not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

5. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:48 PM
    TacomaGinger

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    if a sway bar helps with stability and handling wouldnt it in turn help during towing? More than without one anyway...maybe it's a mental thing. I don't know.

Either way I've ordered one and hope it helps keep me stuck to the road with or without the trailer.

Not sure if it will help in the wet conditions (moving to Seattle again, hopefully) but I'm not a crazy driver...anymore.

6. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:53 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    to be clear, a sway bar will not help with sag from a load like the sumosprings will. but yeah, a rear bar will help stabilize rear sway, so i guess i didn't understand you. but a sway bar like this is designed to add resistance after a certain amount of rear roll, and this isn't a big thick bar or anything. the sway you'd experience while towing in the wind on the highway, for example, is slight movement, and the sway bar won't do much to affect minor movement like that unless you have it set on at least the 2nd if not the 3rd mount hole for more preload.

TacomaGinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:07 PM
    TacomaGinger

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah sorry for the confusion, wasn't looking to help with sag and honestly don't know if that will be a major issue with the load weight we will be towing. But I'm new to all this so I'm learning as I go. When I am making the trip it will be slow(ish) and steady with a 2" drop on the hitch and definitely the flattest route I can find.

I did just check out sumosprings and that's a great idea if I were doing more hauling and towing for sure. Inexpensive and easy install. Compared to the stock bumpers there is no comparison.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. Mar 10, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    lamia2super

lamia2super Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Miami Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, (sold) 07 Tacoma xRunner
    swaysbar have always been one of my favorite mods to car as they usually made a big difference. I have the rear xbrace from my old toyota xrunner laying and im wondering if that would work for the 3gen. toyota designed it to stiffen up the rear end chassi so maybe that would work for you

i also have some new air lift bags to help with sag for sale

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Mar 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    higher centre of gravity, no shit you'll have more body roll lol

10. Mar 14, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    TacomaGinger

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    So would a rear sway bar and airbags be a good combo for daily driving? I only tow occasionally but the added handling would be nice to have...if thats the case. I guess i am not 100% sure what airbags do for a RWD truck but it seems like an inexpensive mod.

11. Mar 22, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    TacomaGinger

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    I ended up getting Firestone airbags AND the Hellwig rear sway for my truck. Haven't installed either but hoping it will make the ride a little more stable...on road

12. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:49 PM
    OpelGT

OpelGT hOPELess Power

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Tacoma MT, Magnuson Supercharged
    Thought I’d add a little bit to this thread.

I just installed the hellwig front bar today. Took about 45min. It’s a good 1/2 thicker than the stock bar and very easy install and really reduced body roll.
    Remove skid plate->remove front frame supports->unbolt sway bar body brackets->unbolt end links->reverse for install.
    Handling is greatly improved. There’s still enough body roll to be comfy, but it stops abruptly and goes into corners with much more control, traction, and confidence.
    My rear bar is a modified Toyota X-runner bar. Hellwig 7744 is a bolt on kit for the rear I would reccomend instead.
    The rear bar makes a massive difference for spirited driving and towing. These trucks are designed to understeer from the factory for comfort, the rear bar makes it more neutral. I highly reccomend installing a rear bar. It is the single most rewarding mod I’ve made on a daily driver.

A lot of you are worried about loss of off-roading ability. If you are a rock crawler this is not for you. You need all the articulation you can get. If you are the type of guy that drives across your field, crosses a small stream, etc, to go fill up your deer blind or get to your favorite shade tree, you won’t notice any loss of off-roading ability. You simply don’t need that much suspension articulation for every day off-roading.
    If you do find yourself needing to climb a rocky steep trail, you can also quickly unbolt your end links and hang the sway bars out of the way with zip ties to regain full suspension travel.

Front and rear sway bars were worth every penny to me. It’s almost like driving a sports car... er sports truck on the road. Snappy handling, and great control for a truck.
    AABBB36C-C99A-4A57-B504-4EB2D1833FC0.jpg
    Hellwig 7719 bar bottom, vs stock bar (top)
    FBC1758D-53F4-463D-8B6A-DE6818C2D0BC.jpg

AABBB36C-C99A-4A57-B504-4EB2D1833FC0.jpg FBC1758D-53F4-463D-8B6A-DE6818C2D0BC.jpg 239D8071-EC9C-4460-97D1-3E18908054CB.jpg
    My Xrunner rear bar. You should buy a hellwig 7744 bar though.

fullsend604 and Inferno! like this.
  13. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    fullsend604

fullsend604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Yukon 5.29 gears, Eaton ELocker, 315/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Bilstein 6112/5160, Icon RXT leaf pack, OVTune 5.29/reg tune
    I just installed my Hellwig 7744 rears on stock height Bilstein 6112/5160 and what a massive difference it made! My truck is mostly used for very windy/twisty highway and for the first time it was a pleasure to drive on tight corners going high way speeds even with a loaded bed!

I bought the 7719 fronts as well but I am having trouble with the install. After bolting the sway bar to the end links on step #5 of the instruction manual, step #6 is to simply flip the way bar up to contact the frame and line up the U-bracket holes. For some reason mine do not line up... either they sent me the wrong one or am I missing something here? The Hellwig sway bar I got the D-bushing sits angled vs the factory one which is perpendicular with the frame. In the picture below, the red lines are where the frame holes would be. There is no play in the bracket for it to rotate to line up with the frame holes and if I push it too far the D-busing starts to come off the sway bar.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Turns out they sent me a defective bar after reaching out to Maria at Hellwig. She said the tolerance is off on the sway bar I got as well as the ones currently at their warehouse. They are going to make a new batch and send me a replacement. Guess whoever was working that day must have been sleeping on the job, so much for that made in USA quality! :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  14. Jun 3, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    twitchhero

twitchhero ___YOU BOYS LIKE___ MEX-I-CO???

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    See Profile for a full list of Modifications: *Suspension* -Total Chaos Upper Control Arms -Total Chaos Lower Control Arms -King EXT Coilovers with adjusters (front) -King Tundra EXT Shock with adjusters (rear) -Icon RXT leaf pack (Option 2) -Timbren active off-road bump stops (front) -Timbren active off-road bump stops with U bolt flip kit (rear) -DRT cab mount relocation -Polyurethane front body mounts *Performance* -AFE intake (noisemaker) -JLT oil catch can -OTT Tune -Stoptech stainless steel brake lines -Extended stainless steel rear brake lines -AGM Odyssey battery *Interior* -Window Tint -Tacoma Door Sill Protectors -Clazzio (black leather seat covers) -Dashtop Single Mount -Sound deadening material -GATOR floor mats -Cup holder hero mats -Garmin mini front dash cam -JOYING Headunit -Tacoma Kicker tweeter upgrade -Kicker KS front and rear speakers -Rear USB *Exterior* -Tacoma tailgate inserts -Mobtown offroad "No drill" Bolt-on rock sliders. -All-Pro Hi-Lift bed rail mount /w Hi-Lift -Rear Diff breather relocated -Alpha REX TRD Pro style headlights -Baja Design squadron sport (Amber fog lights) -Total Chaos Fabrication bed stiffeners -Window Deflectors (AVS) -TRD Pro Grille -Summit DAKAR (BRONZE) 33x12.50 R17) -Sequential turn signals -Softtopper (black) -Toyota Bed Mat -Vinyl wrapped tail gate (black)
    I'm glad I came across your post because I was just about to create a post asking this question. I have Kings as well, with Timbren bumpstops. I don't plan on adding a rear sway bar. I was thinking about removing the front sway bar to get that front IFS to move freely. How do you like no having a front sway bar on the Tacoma with kings? Also would the stock sway bar stop the front suspension from reaching full droop? I don't mean to steal OP's thread so I may just PM you with any other questions.

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  15. Jun 5, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    Kruuuzn

Kruuuzn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Traverse City, Michigan
    I just returned from a spirited ride on some twisty roads in my ‘20 Sport highway queen and immediately started looking into sway bars.

I see Hellwig offers a rear kit, a front kit, and a kit that contains both. Is it worth the effect to replace the front bar with a Hellwig? My truck is leveled with 5100s and will probably never do any serious off-roading.

16. Jun 5, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i would say no. but the rear alone will do you right. you'll be happy with it.

17. Jun 5, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    Kruuuzn

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Traverse City, Michigan
    That makes sense to me.
    Thx

18. Jun 5, 2021 at 9:11 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport
    Can anyone say if adding the Hellwig rear bar alone will change the driving characteristics to an OVERSTEER condition?

I would do OK if it did, but my wife would freak.

What did you feel? "aggressive" is not the descriptive word I relate to. Under steer, neutral, over steer. And everything between.

Stock tires, stock lift, stock springs, stock front bar. Just add the rear bar. Over the edge?

19. Jun 5, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    doubt it would be a problem, especially on stock everything. also remember it has three holes for mounting with different levels of firmness. i have run both 2 & 3, and given that, 1 should be good for you. it pulls the feel of the rear end together a bit. it feels complete, not weird or edgy, believe me.

20. Jun 6, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    Kruuuzn

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Oooooooooo..........

Products Discussed in

To Top