1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! 2015 Tacoma Kenwood Stereo Replacement Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tacoma20156speed, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    Tacoma20156speed

Tacoma20156speed [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma 6 speed manual
    TRD wheels, Kenwood DMX906S HU, Kenwood front/rear speakers, Window tints, weather tech floor mats, aftermarket HU in factory dash skit
    Here’s a little background

2015 Tacoma 6 Speed Manual
    NON JBL
    Factory Backup Camera
    Kenwood DMX906s
    iDatalink Maestro RR
    HRN-RR-TO1
    I have very little experience prior to this install, but I did a lot of research beforehand to make sure it was done correctly..

I even managed to make this head unit work with the factory dash!! No dash kit needed! (very simple, will work excellent with 6.95-7.95 inch screens)

As for the install..everything works great!!..except the back up camera.

iDatalink instructions were followed and correct wires were connected from the factory harness.
    Ground-Sheild
    Blue/yellow-Black
    Yellow-Red
    Brown-White

When I shift to reverse, the stereo makes no attempt to switch to camera (camera interruption setting, camera assignment settings, etc. tried just about everything)

The maestro provides information from the OBD2, and according to the on screen information, my truck is always in drive and cannot detect when it’s in park or if the e-brake is engaged.

I’m sure this has to due with the fact I have a manual transmission, but before I tear out the radio (plan to reflash the maestro and update firmware on Kenwood anyway)...

I need help!!! I am limited on garage availability in northeast PA, so when I do this I want to get it done with as much ease as possible!! What am I doing wrong?

2. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:38 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    If your stereo isn’t making ANY attempt to switch when in reverse whether your camera is powered correctly or not, what is your reverse trigger on the kenwood connected to? What does it meter at when truck ign is on vs on and in reverse?

3. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    Tacoma20156speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    TRD wheels, Kenwood DMX906S HU, Kenwood front/rear speakers, Window tints, weather tech floor mats, aftermarket HU in factory dash skit
    Reverse wire is connected via TO1 harness and Kenwood HU.. ignition on or off, reverse or neutral, brake engaged and not..the maestro detects I am always in drive

4. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You need to pull the maestro, meter the reverse wire on the maestro, if it’s a digital signal signal see if there is a analog reverse signal that reads properly ( could be because yours is a mt ), locate reverse wire in truck and run to kw reverse trigger

5. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Tacoma20156speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the replies @Do58

is it safe to saw that if my reverse lights come on, the reverse wire in my truck is analog and i’ll need to run a wire from HU? also, same go for parking sensor wire?

6. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:17 AM
    Tacoma20156speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Also, I apologize in advance if I ask any redundant questions..before this install I had zero experience will vehicle electronic components and normally leave these things to professionals..but I’ve decided to do all all regular maintenance myself for the past year..just so happens this is the first project beyond the scope of normal routine/preventative maintenance

7. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Parking brake ( light green ) off the kenwood just ground. Reverse trigger ( purple/white ) goes to reverse wire in truck. You will need to test wire to make sure. Here is a pic of a reverse trigger that is in the drivers kick. If you do t have or find then yes run to the back if you choose

2AC39CCC-DFF7-4CB8-B6A0-E8F4E12710C5.jpg

8. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The parking brake has nothing to do with the camera. Just unlocks menus/dvd if it comes with. This is what needs to be done before worring about the camera. You just need to know that the kenwood will switch video for the camera

9. Jan 19, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also, make sure that your video rca is in the correct port.

10. Jan 19, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    sfcacique

sfcacique Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4WD TRD Access Cab
    Thule Racks with Hullavator, Pioneer Stereo/Nav
    hmmm, not to mess things up, but the Maestro TO1 sub-harness for factory camera should plug and play. There are two "power" connectors for the camera sub-harness, then there is a separate plug that provides the 6vDC reverse switched input the factory camera is expecting. I can't find that factory camera sub-harness immediately here inside the house, so it might actually be still attached to the T01/Rr harness on my truck. Next time I pull the radio (hours/days, as I am currently doing different aspects of integration), I'll take a pic.

I am also integrating a new head unit (Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX) into my 2006 Tacoma OR, auto, non-JBL, using the Maestro Rr/TO1. It does not have factory camera. I have attached an aftermarket superCMOS rearview camera and tested my old Pioneer NDBC6 camera with the integration. Both worked as expected (ND-BC6 was originally on my Pioneer AVIC 9115). Both cameras trigger on reverse when plugged into the reverse camera input of the HU. Both show up, as expected, on the HU video screen when selected normally. Later, I attached the ND-BC6 to the front video input. The image shows up on the HU video screen, but, as feared, the image was reversed. Both cameras were connected simply to ignition/accessory power, ground, and the appropriate RCA video input.

The Maestro provides the reverse, e-brake, speed, and ??, from other sources, supposedly the OBD. I did NOT access those individual wires/sensors as I did in my previous install of the Pioneer 9115BT and ND-BC6. All sensor signal feeds were provided through the HU automatically (as far as I have seen, since I have NOT driven at all, just checked in accessory ignition position and with the engine running.

The Pioneer HU does show the basic gauges, to include speedometer, TPMS pressure/temp, rpm, 1/4 mile, 0-60, and others. They are there, just haven't checked while driving as the entire center console/center dash is apart.

Did you check your OBD to T01 and idat-link plug to HU? Not sure, as we have notable difference in truck year, transmission (not really sure there is difference there, as no questions were asked during firmware selection/set up) and Head Unit, but we are using the same Maestro components

11. Jan 19, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    Tacoma20156speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    @Do58 thank you!! I have a great starting point

@sfcacique I have a manual transmission. signal is not sent over data so I will have to run the reverse wire from the Kenwood HU to the reverse trigger wire in my truck.

and as far as plug and play, it can be 100 percent but since i have a factory backup camera i’m integrating, I have to use the TO1 wiring and connect them to the existing camera harness
    14BC6750-6217-41DE-8626-CBF9FA88808D.jpg

12. Sep 24, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    Tacobot14

Tacobot14 Heep Recovery Vehicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR White Tacoma 6MT
    OME BP-51, JBA UCA, SOS Streamline Bumper, SOS Sliders, Toyo AT2 tires, many more.
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I am in this exact same situation as OP. EVERYTHING works on my Headunit. Steering wheel controls and all. Camera works if I manually bring it up too. But when I shift to reverse, it doesn’t bring it up. 2015, 6MT.

I connected the reverse wire on the back of my headunit to the TO1 reverse wire as told by crutchfield. I plan to call and see if they can help troubleshoot, just wanted to get input from others if I could. TIA.

13. Sep 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    have you checked the wire with a volt meter to make sure that it's sending out +12v when reverse is selected?

14. Sep 26, 2022 at 5:19 AM
    Tacobot14

Tacobot14 Heep Recovery Vehicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR White Tacoma 6MT
    OME BP-51, JBA UCA, SOS Streamline Bumper, SOS Sliders, Toyo AT2 tires, many more.
    No but I did call crutchfield and their answer was to splice into the reverse light wire like shown above. Manuals don't have a digital R indicator like the auto's do. Ran a wire over to that kick panel and plan to pickup a splice today. If I don't come back and update this post or make a follow up post, it worked. Just posting my resolution for future 6MT taco users.

soundman98[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 26, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    yea, i had to run that wire in my auto '18. for some reason or another, it was pulling the info from the canbus.

that was why i asked. i had the same issue where i connected everything as 'they' said to, and none of it worked until i ran the wire to the kick panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top