1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help an audio noob

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Crimson Flam3s, May 24, 2018.

1. May 24, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I was initially going to simply do the subaru tweeter upgrade for my sr5 since most people are happy with it but I looked at the JBL GTO609C and it seems like a decent upgrade for the front.

Problem is that beyond plug and play, I have no idea on what to do. I notice this system brings a set of tweeters, would that replace the need for factory ones or does it somehow integrate only with the speakers that come with this set? What would be the easiest way to hook it up? I have the Entune premium HU non jbl if it makes a difference.

I work with computers and electronics so I have no issues getting my hands dirty with this but might as well get informed before hand lol

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO629-P...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=EN6QPXTRFWB7A6FNZT2V&th=1

2. May 24, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    Matt3400

Matt3400 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Lexus GX470
    It would replace the factory tweeters. They come with a crossover to distribute the proper frequencies to the mids and tweeters. I’d you buy them from crutchfield they will provide a bracket (cables as well) to make the mid fit in the door but you probably would have to fab a bracket for the tweeter.

I would do this over the Kicker upgrade even if it’s more of a hassle.

3. May 24, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I see, well crutchfield doesn't seem to have it in stock so I'm probably screwed but I do have a 3d printer available so maybe I can fabricate the bracket.

Since everything connects to the crossover, then how would I go about connecting it to the HU? or is it simply a single specific connection that cannot be missed once you take the HU out? I haven't messed with this kind of stuff so I have no idea about cable and connector standards.

4. May 24, 2018 at 9:16 PM
    Matt3400

Matt3400 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Lexus GX470
    You would take the factory speaker leads that are going to the individual speakers and connect them to the new crossover. Then from the crossover to the new tweeters and midrange.

5. May 24, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    TommyG

TommyG Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Grouch
    MELTING POT
    Vehicle:
    21 MAX
    No mods
    I have a brand new set with all the the mounting spacers and wire adapters I'll sell you cheap. I bought them and they didn't work with my Jbl system and was past the return date so they have been sitting. Pm me

6. May 25, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    NIU_Huskies

NIU_Huskies Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    I would recommend using an external amplifier, even something like the Alpine power pack would be much better than OEM radio. I'd be surprised if the OEM radio pushed out more than 5 watts RMS per channel. You'd be underpowering/underutilizing your new aftermarket components if you powered them off the OEM radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top