1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! California emissions problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mresh, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Feb 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM
    mresh

mresh [OP] New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Hey everyone, first time poster. Im not terrible under the hood, but certainly not a pro so I could use some wisdom!

So I got the P0420 code on my truck not too long ago, got it diagnostically tested, had the guys said I have a bad upstream A/F senor, not a bad catalytic converter. Seemed like an easy fix until I was informed I have a California emissions engine in it. I live in NJ, however they shop told me that if I dont replace it with a CA certified part, the P0420 code will remain, not allowing me to pass inspection.

On my search for a CA a/f sensor, I can only find them for 2001 and previous years, not for 2003. The only option for me online and at my parts shop is the Denso 234-9001. Will this correct my problems? Thanks so much!

2003 Double Cab Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6, 115,000 miles Automatic transmission

2. Feb 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
    if your in new jersey it should be under their emissions laws. As long as your not registering it in Ca I don't see what the problem is. If you are registered in Ca then yes it must be California compliant.

3. Feb 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Terminal4

Terminal4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South of the Sierras
    Vehicle:
    98' RegCab 4x4
    Kings/camburgs, shackles, magnaflow, hid's, fj's n hankooks, 03 front bumper, batzmaru
    a bad o2 sensor is a bad o2 sensor. never heard of 'CA certified parts'. just swap it out with a denso(oem i believe) and reset cel.

4. Feb 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    offrdmania

offrdmania Taco Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    California compliant is only compliant in California.

5. Feb 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    mresh

mresh [OP] New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Thanks everyone! Now that I have off work a few days I'll have to put some work in to have it pass inspection. The whole California specified part was confusing as hell to me, glad to have you guys here. Now that my new a/f sensor is in place, the one I was told was bad, will my check engine light automatically reset itself after a few drive cycles? Or will I need that code cleared from the truck CPU? Thanks again from a younger, dumber taco owner lol

6. Feb 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    I didnt think toyota tacoma had a cal model. i know the 80s models had a fed and cal model. but just replace the part with another.

7. Feb 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    SDSam

SDSam from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma prerunner
    Icon Shocks, BTF front, Deaver f67, 33's on stocks, Fiberwerxs 1pc, TDR S/C, Bed & Eng Caged
    I just replaced my 02 sensor on my tacoma and the parts list does show a california and a non. I would use what the vehicle came with as that is what the ECU is looking for. Or take yours off and match it make sure the connector has the same shape and pins. (califiornia vehicles require them to be heated 02 sensors) i dont know if that is the only difference.

I bought the california 02 Denso cost me 170dlls OUCH!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top