1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help choosing a CAI

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saltidadyo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    :taco:

2. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    saltidadyo

saltidadyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sal
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Pro Comp 6inch Lift Kit, Borla cat back, Moto metal 18 inch wheels, Mickey thompson 35 inch Baja's MTZ, Alpine INA 900BT, Thule roof rack, Satoshi Grill, Piaa driving lights on soon to be gone bull bar
    is it hard to install or is it just the hose and clamps

3. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    easy install, few screws clamps and what not

4. Feb 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    AEM Brute Force FTW.

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    saltidadyo

saltidadyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sal
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Pro Comp 6inch Lift Kit, Borla cat back, Moto metal 18 inch wheels, Mickey thompson 35 inch Baja's MTZ, Alpine INA 900BT, Thule roof rack, Satoshi Grill, Piaa driving lights on soon to be gone bull bar
    got it done very happy with it sound great

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    you guys saying the various intakes don't do anything...

is there some reference dyno trial that you all are using for this info? where are the dyno comparisons without MAF trickery, and also follow-up tests WITH MAF trickery? i have looked and can't seem to find any information that reliably supports or refutes power/tq increases from intakes on the 1GR. everything i see is the same - people saying the stock setup is a cold air, and there are no power increases...but no reliable testing data.

if you have links favorited, please share.

thanks.

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    the best engineered cai for your truck is one that it came with from the factory. don't waste your money.

8. Feb 12, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    I just ordered the AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake Pro-Dry S off Amazon for 250 shipped as well. Cant wait to get her installed, even if it doesn't give me 10hp, it will look nice under the hood!

9. Feb 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    i know. i brought it up because it's the only tuning tool available. and it is generally accepted as the key to getting something out of the intakes if they truly don't do anything vs. stock or in fact make things worse, but i still can't find any information that is worthy of being fact about the baseline comparisons. i always hear about gadget did this and gadget has this, but one internet demi-god (who i think is pretty cool, from what i've seen) is not nearly enough to accept something as fact. there are just too many variables. it seems the only way to see if these intakes make any difference would be to do my own tests because i still don't see any links where people did baseline runs, installed an intake, let the trims settle, and then made some pulls all on the same day. SAE correction is nice, so as long as it's the same dyno it should be OK, but ultimately the same day would be ideal. i wouldn't care if i've seen intakes make power differences on various engines, but i have.

that isn't true enough to flatly assume across the board, hence my original question. i know that it can make an appreciable difference. i've been building and tuning small displacement engines for over a decade. mostly high compression SOHC honda engines, but modifying all kinds. certain intake designs provide different curve changes over stock, even in cases where the OE intake is a decent design. everything is a compromise. of course the head and intake manifold and tb ultimately decides the flow potential, but the intake and exhaust are secondary systems that can limit them to varying degrees. how the heads swirl ports react to certain incoming air vs. tumble ports. it could be either the dynamics or strange resonances, or how the intake system reacts with the MAF at certain throttle angles. for instance, certain length and diameter pipes can cause appreciable tq bumps that you can see.

i'm sorry if i'm being overly technical and some might see it as being fresh but i'm in the performance automotive industry and have been playing with modern performance cars for a while and have found the proof is in the pudding. you guys might be 100% correct if all the tests were performed, but i can't just go along with it because i saw it on the internet. that's how rumors get started ; )

10. Feb 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    nobody will get either for use w/ an intake, though. the one tuneable piece i've seen that is partnered with an intake is the MAF calibrator, which makes a lot of sense since the intake contains the MAF. that's the only reason i even mentioned it. there is a direct correlation between the two and could be the difference between an intake making power or not since everyone is convinced they don't. unfortunately the only person who has really played with it that i can find is gadget. that isn't a bad thing, i'm glad he has developed and explored it, but he's the only one. i guess the market isn't there and i can understand that.

you mean in the intake manifold runners and ports? that's preferred. it induces certain turbulence to help atomize with the fuel when it enters the port on it's way to the cc.

when you port and polish a head, the polish part is for the exhaust side.

11. Feb 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    walker_txranger

walker_txranger Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Borla Exhaust, URD TCAI, Grillecraft MX black Mesh grille, soon to come 3 inch lift with 20' Forta Miama F-15 with 33's, DTLT headers with y pipe bomb and many others
    URD intake is awesome! I have it with a Borla and DTLTH and it sounds amazing! And it beats a hemi that has K&N and flowmasters 40's series.:D:D:D:D My buddy hates that fact lol!

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    walker_txranger

walker_txranger Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Borla Exhaust, URD TCAI, Grillecraft MX black Mesh grille, soon to come 3 inch lift with 20' Forta Miama F-15 with 33's, DTLT headers with y pipe bomb and many others
    I've had no water problems, but i dont offroad. I have a pre-runner, so if i do offroad i don't go in any deep water. But I live in Houston, and I've had the URD for two years and its done me good. Been through many bad rain storms and numerous puddles on the side of road and no problems. Also easy to install, took about 2 hrs.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Wow this is nice. to be able to just sit back and read all the combined knowledge and past experiences from everyone else. talk about learning from others mistakes. thats nice

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    what would happen to cause a maf failure?? i understand what would happen to cause hydrolocking. but that really affects the maf sensor negatively?

15. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC

Products Discussed in

To Top