1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help choosing a solar panel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by renval, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Aug 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    renval

renval [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Renz
    SoCal
  2. Aug 26, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    2020taco_g

2020taco_g New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red Tacoma SR5 V6 4WD
    Thanks for the link, I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Just got in line for a Go Fast Camper and want to power an electric fridge and some lights and device chargers with the Jackery 500.

The model you linked says it’s compatible with lithium batteries. One of the customer question says it directly plugs into the Jackery 240, so it should work. I’d be curious to see your setup if you go for it.

I’m thinking about getting a Prinsu roof rack to mount a solar panel in front of the go fast camper wedge. How do you like the rack? I’m nervous about drilling into the roof and potential leaks but it looks cool and would be perfect for solar.

3. Aug 26, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    2020taco_g

2020taco_g New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red Tacoma SR5 V6 4WD
    Just did a little more looking into it and the Jackery already has a built-in charge controller. So I think you just need the solar panel itself and an adapter to allow for plugging into the Jackery.

Check out this article:
    https://thecampingnerd.com/jackery-explorer-solar-panels/

renval[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 26, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    renval

renval [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Renz
    SoCal
    I just got the solar panel, I will install it this weekend, I’ll let you know how it works.

5. Aug 29, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    norsea

norsea Well-Known Member

Member:
    I too am interested in powering a refrigerator, among other things, in our Tacoma. The reason being that we travel, a lot. We are more than week end warriors and spend about six months of the year on the road. We have gone from 7 years of full time travel on motorcycles to 10 years of travel 6 moths per year with a truck and travel trailer. We are down sizing to a 2005 Tacoma that we are currently kitting out.

From a Google search: "ARB states on their website that the 50 quart model has an 'average DC power consumption of 0.7 to 2.3 amp/hour'. At the maximum estimated power usage of 2.3 amps/hour, the fridge will use approximately 55.2 amps per 24-hour period."

Given that the Jackery web site states: "Jackery Explorer 500 is a 518Wh lithium Portable Power Station."

Doing the math: 518Wh at 12V = 43.1666666Ah. 518Wh at 120V = 4.316666666Ah

So, with nothing else connected (not very liekly in our case) to the Jackery 500 it is possible to get about a day and three quarters of power for the 50 quart ARB Fridge. I'm not sure 50 quarts is large enough to justify a refrigerator given the cost. That's a lot of ice in a good ice chest at a much lower price point.

The 64 quart Engel fridge draws 2.8 amps (12V DC)and is even more costly and also has a freezer which is something we really like. And it will consume more power.

My concern about recharging Lithium Ion Batteries is that it is a two stage process.

As a general rule, a solar panel will not be sufficient by itself to get Lithium Ion Batteries sufficiently charged for the initial charge required when the charge level is lower than 50%. It will take a generator to get the batteries sufficiently charged to a point where the solar panel(s) can complete the charge cycle. This comes from experience with Lithium Ion Batteries in RV industry and is well documented.

I am curious as to how y'all are going to deal with this issue? I ask because I have not found anyone on this forum addressing this issue.

Curiously yours,

Jim

To Top