1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Choosing Btw 3 Tires Please!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SManZ, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I'm going to buy a set of tires for my truck since I've lifted it and it looks a little goofy with the stock tires. I've got the 17" Sport rims and tires now but I'll be getting 265/75-16 tires on TRD Special Edition FJ rims.

My truck is mostly going to be street driven but I do want something that will be capable in snow. Since I drive a plow truck in the winter I need to get to and from work when its snowing.

I'm looking at these 3 tires;
    Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
    $97/ea, 14/32" tread depth, 40lbs each, passenger load rating
    [​IMG]

General Grabber AT2
    $142/ea, 17/32" tread depth, 57lbs each, E load rating
    [​IMG]

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
    $168/ea and $40 rebate, 16/32" tread depth, 48lbs each, C load rating
    [​IMG]

Right now I'm leaning towards the Goodyear SilentArmor over the General Grabbers because I've read a few posts warning about harsh rides with E load rated tires. I know the General Grabbers are pretty popular so I wanted to know what people thought of the on-road ride. Is the high weight of the Grabbers noticeable? The cost savings on the Kumho is really attractive but I don't want to get a shit tire either. Any thoughts on the Kumhos?

And finally...I think I'm making the right choice going with 265/75s instead of 285s...right?

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    757southpaw

757southpaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    Take a look at the Goodyear Duratracs. If not an option then the Silent Armors might be my choice.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Thanks for the tip southpaw! I took a look at them and they are definitely on my list to consider. They've got the highest customer survey ratings out of all the A/T tires on TireRack. I dunno how I missed them!

4. Mar 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well...I ordered a set. I actually ended up getting the Firestone Destination A/Ts which I wasn't considering at first but the positive reviews from many people on the site convinced me to try them. Since most of my miles will be on-road I decided against the more aggressive tread pattern on the Duratracs.

I got the C load rated tires for $138/ea instead of the passenger tires for $117/ea.

They should be here next week! :-D Time to get the FJ rims out of the storage unit. The truck's going to look sweet with the mag grey body and the anthracite rims!

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Does a bear shit in the woods?

Products Discussed in

To Top