1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Door lock rod came loose

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pidro_el_pirata, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I started installing my own alarm on my 2000 SR5 Tacoma. (It's turning out to be quite a can of worms and I'll probably pay someone else to do it once I get this lock rod fixed!!) I pulled apart my drivers' side door and it was going well until the part of the lock rod that connects to the knob that you press to lock/unlock from the inside of the truck came loose. I know that sounds confusing so here's a picture. The piece in RED has come loose.

[​IMG]

Here's the culprit. Looks like it was just stuck in there with the same adhesive they use on the plastic sheeting??

[​IMG]

It obviously attached to the lock assembly but that whole assembly is hidden in the door!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought of removing the lock assembly unit but as far as I can tell, it has at least three other rods that are all connected and I don't want to make the problem even worse. As it stands, I'm able to lock/unlock with a key but just can't use that knob.

Are there any professional installers or individuals with superior experience in this kind of area?? At this rate I just want to know what the proper way to fix it would be. If I have to abandon my alarm and even if I have to buy a new lock assembly, I'll consider it, I just need to know where to go from here.

Those lock assemblies are $120, almost as much as I paid for this stupid alarm. Grrr

References
    Microfiche Door lock is on page "1397"

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    This might help. Here is a pic (I borrowed) of the lock actuator. It looks like the rod just fits in the slot.

[​IMG]

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Just pop the bottom end back in the hole I would think.

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    trdracing5

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Thats what it looks like to me. Just pop it back in the hole. The hole is on a metal tab so I would not think it would break. It looks like the rod came out of the hole and just needs to be put back in the hole. Probably easier said than done though.

5. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    trdracing5

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I took a look at mine today to see if i could help in any way. The plastic guide thing kind of kept me from finding the end of the rod.

I am going to see if I can borrow an inspection camera in the next few days and try to get some pics inside the door to help you determine how to reconnect the rod.

6. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    That would be awesome. It's definitely easier said than done, guys... This assembly is inside the door, completely inaccessible because its hidden behind the sheet metal, lol! The pics i took show how you can't even SEE what you're doing, let alone get your hand in there. It would be surgery done completely by touch. So frustrating! Regardless I've reassembled my door for now. I'll give it another go when I get some time or a better solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top