1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! I'm bored with my truck need advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1bad03snake, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jul 10, 2008 at 1:03 AM
    1bad03snake

1bad03snake [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    none but please give me your info.
    I have a 08 speedway blue double cab 4x4 TRD. I have self diagnosed AADD "Auto attention deficit disorder" I have owned 7 car's in the last year and when I get bored I start to look around . I love the truck but I'm tired of reading through the many threads on lifts and warranty. So before I get to the point where I am no longer interested I want to lift it and get some new rims. I have been looking at another 03 cobra, but I know I'm better off with a toyota.
    1. What toyotec lift should I buy? I was think 3", but what is the best way to lift it? "I have no idea my last truck was a lightning and I lowered it."
    2. What wheels look good on speedway blue trucks?
    3. Whats the biggest tire I can fit?
    4. What problems do you get with a 3" lift.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Matt

2. Jul 10, 2008 at 3:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Getting bored with a vehicle?
    7 vehicles in one year? That's gotta get expensive and you're throwing lots of money away in INTEREST. Unless of course, you are filthy rich and don't have to worry about loans and financials.

If you're getting bored with any vehicle - perhaps you should find other hobbies to keep your attention span elsewhere and keep you motivated in other areas.

Use the search feature located at the top blue bar - there's lots of information out there already about lifts & such.
    Also - visit here: What do you plan on doing with the truck? Offroading? Or just want to make it a little bigger?

3. Jul 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Click the link in my sig and read that. You also might want to use the search function as well.

4. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    7 vehicles in 1 year? Not to get to personal but do you buy these cars/trucks,lease them,rent to own,etc? You gotta be upside down in these vehicles or you work for a dealership or possibly own one? Anyway, bored with a Toyota Tacoma 2nd generation???? WTF?....I don't see how anyone can be bored with this truck? I have never enjoyed a truck more(and I have has 8 toyota's/and not in 1 year)than my 2nd generation truck! If you are getting bored with the truck at least hold on to it until they revamp the 2nd generation into possibly the 3rd generation or at least a whole new look. Not like the 2009! What a waste. Same truck with some ugly cosmetic upgrades. (They should shoot the developer of the new taillight assembly,not to mention the small ass back up camera!) I think they went down to the local auto zone and one of the grunts behinde the counter drew them the new taillights! Not to mention the space aged looking stereo component between the two jump seats in the a/c truck! Sure cuts down on storage space for those like me who haul allot of their tools around in the back! Anyway,sorry for going off the subject...Hang on to that 2008 and with the money you save,go see a therapist about your boredom problem thats got to be costing you allot of money?!?!????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Check out roxspin72's rig...this is one of the sweetest Speedway Blue Tacos I've seen:
    [​IMG]

6. Jul 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    1bad03snake

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    The subject of lifts has been beat to death and I don't have the time to look at every topic. I looked alot over the past few nights and I'm still lost. I do a little offroading and I go the beach alot. The truck is my new daily driver. I normally just deal with racecar stuff. I have had plenty of 500+RWHP fox body mustangs, 03 cobra's, 2 lightnings, and a gt500. I paid cash for everything but the gt500. I never really loose money on mustangs. When I bought the tacoma I was trying to go a different route in life, but it keep's calling me back. So if I lift the truck, get my hands dirty, bust a nuckle or two, bleed a little, I'll get interested in learning more about it and maybe keep something for a while.

I read that the coil overs would be overkill for what I'm trying to do. So would the toyotec 3" with AAL be a better buy? Can I get springs also and get another inch or is it cut and dry 3"-6" ?

7. Jul 10, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    It's cut and dry...you can't add coils and spacers to "double up" on height. I would get the basic ToyTec 3" kit with black anodized spacers and rear AALs - cost is about $220. I would also get the differential drop kit and rear shims. You'll be at about $300 and I believe you'll love the ride. You can check out my rig by clicking on my gallery to get an idea of what it looks like with stock wheels/tires and aftermarket wheels/tires.

8. Jul 10, 2008 at 11:54 AM
    1bad03snake

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    Will do I have to start getting ready to go to work, so i'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the help I'll shoot you a PM if I need any other pics

Matt

9. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Matt, IMO, a 3" Toytec with AAL or lift blocks would suit your needs. I run something similar on my 1st gen. Its economical, functional, and looks good at a good price. A body lift could boost you a little higher.

10. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    You beat me to it!;)

11. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    There is no mass produced body lift for the 2nd Gen, You'd have to go custom.

Get a 3" Toytec kit. If your still bored, URD makes a supercharger for 300WHP.

12. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift

Great minds... :thumbsup:

13. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    My first impression is this OP is crazy. 7 cars in a year. Then I see where he is from.

Dude, there are only two kinds of cars in Baytown: New ones and fukt-up ones.

RDS

(Robert E. Lee - class of '78)

14. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    1bad03snake

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    I'm from Pearland originally, I dont know why I bought a house in baytown. I wish I had a few junkers, rock chips wouldn't bother me as bad. If the housing market was better I would move back to pearland/friendswood in a heartbeat. I'm going with the toytec 3". I'll buy it monday.

15. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!

Here you go:

2.5"-3.5" = Most Coil over claims, but stay at 2.5" for best ride. ie... Icon, Sway away, AllPro,ToyTech...

FABTECH & ProComp are your top 6" lifts.

PreRunners can run a Total Chaos Spindle for about $1000 or so that can lift 3"above current lift.

Not sure on safety and ride quality per set up. But, you pick and choose per provided set up. No manufacturer will provide 2.5/3/3.5/4/5/and so on lifts.

Go either performance quality 3" Max or 6" for looks, seriously.

Set your system up for what you do. And make sure it's truly what you are looking for...

Not bored w/my truck but hungry for a perfect lift. Been studying my ass off.
    Hope this helps.

16. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for correcting me, I wasn't aware of that.

Products Discussed in

To Top