1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Jandrews Build His Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jandrews, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    jandrews

jandrews [OP] Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Hi fellas.

The time has arrived. I'm getting a substantially larger than expected tax return back this year and it should cover the bulk of my lift/wheels/tires from the research and pricing I've done so far. I need input and questions answered, because I am a BIG advocate of doing your homework in advance. Please read, fellow TW'er, and offer your opinions/suggestions:

Goal:
    2 to 2.5" lift to accomodate TRD Ivan Stewart wheels and 33" Wrangler Duratracs all around without chopping the cab mount. Minor trimming is fine.

Budget:

$3500, give or take. There's some flexibility here.

Here is what I am currently favoring:

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/pro...oma/sfID1/4/sfID2/78/sfID3/83/productID/39121

This kit, IF Offroad Warehouse is willing to substitute the non-ext travel front coilovers (ICO-8730) for the ext travels listed in the kit. I am going to call them and find out if this is possible. The reason is TC UCAs tend to impact the ext travel coilovers (ICO-8735) at full droop, and I do not want to have to deal with limiter straps.

For the rear, aside from the remote resi shocks in the kit above, I am planning for a TSB AAL from either Toytec or Wheeler's. I already have the TSB springs. I am not interested in sacrificing payload for ride quality, so I am not sure Deaver/Alcan/Etc. replacement leaf packs are an absolute necessity. The main purpose here is to put a suspension under this thing that will chew up most any mild to moderate terrain and ask for more alongside preserving the truck's functionality for towing and hauling.

Obviously, shims, extended brake lines, carrier bearing drop, etc. will be applied as needed. I'm not worried about those items, they're cheap.

I am also planning to drop Timbrens in all around, just for the extra beef.

So, on to the questions:

1) What are the arguments for or against new leaf packs in the back? Are there leaf packs out there that are stated by the manufacturer to preserve or increase the Tacoma's payload, not just improve ride/suspension travel?

2) Regarding shims, carrier drop, etc, would it be best to install these prophylactically or do the lift and only add these items if vibes develop? I am willing to go as far as a double cardan/CV driveshaft if need be to kill vibes.

3) Rather than the Icon kit above, are there other setups people would recommend? Please ensure any recommendations are remote resi all around. I want that extra bullet-proof-ness.

4) I understand lifting above 2.5" may stress the CVs too much, although some people lift 3" without issues. My goal is to clear 285/75/R16 Duratracs with mild trimming and without frame chopping. I would like them to be rub-free. The Ivan Stewarts have one inch less backspacing than the stock TRD wheels but are half an inch wider. Is this possible at 2.5" or will I need the full 3"?

5) All other comments and opinions welcome too!

THANK YOU EVERYONE in advance for your help!

2. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah, already locked in the back.

According to wheeler's offroad, Deaver packs decrease load capacity a bit, but then the Timbrens might make up for it.

I'm not concerned about rub when flexing...I just want full lock turning when doing normal driving. I expect handling/steering characteristics to change offroad.

Haven't made up my mind on the swaybar yet.

Also, just to clear up some confusion, I'm not talking about front half-shafts, I'm talking about a double cardan driveshaft for vibes if needed. I know it's worked for some others on here (Silverback, among others).

3. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Yeah, each truck's vibes being different sounds the like pain in the ass. I'd prefer to crack this can open once, but it sounds like if vibes show up it'll require perhaps multiple ventures into the suspension. Oh well. Comes with the territory.

A buncha views and apparently no one else has an opinion...:p

4. Apr 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
  5. Apr 13, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Yeah, King is in the running, but Icon seems to have a better rep for some reason? It also doesn't hurt that they're slightly less expensive.

Anyone care to note some differences between the two?

Also, the stage 4 Icon lift is pretty hard to swallow. Why spend $1000 more for Icon AALs over the kit from OR Warehouse that I linked in my OP? Are Icon UCAs that much better performing than TC? My research would lead me to believe otherwise...

6. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    PM bump. Am I on my own with this fellas?

7. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    long travel??? just for the sake of saying something haha

8. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Thought about it, not really wanting that look nor the extra expense.

9. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    the Icon UCA are a solid billet aluminum piece and pivot on heim joints and dont have poly bushings. makes for a nicer looking UCA and easier adjustment for alignment. are they work the extra $300 IDK, personally i'd just go with the TC.

as far as going with Icon or King it's really preferance. what color you like. they are so similar it kinda comes down to that. Icon dominates the OE replacement shocks world for a reason and their tacoma parts are based of the old Donahoe Racing gear which was extensivly tested, beat on and raced proven. However, King is by no means a push over, look at how many off road race rigs are running King... there's a reason for that too.

I say go with Icon because they just seem to get stuff right on the money when it comes to the OE replacement parts. Also $700 for the rear Kings shocks seems a bit much

10. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    the kit you linked to from ORW looks great. I'd go with that and maybe an AAL pack (like in the link i gave you) or just a set of deaver 10 leaf pack.

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    rlotti

rlotti Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd
    Jardine exhaust, Fujita intake
    this is what i want thinking of running also. I have seen a couple cheap combination leaf springs from using H3 leafs and helper spings, or traction bar AAL's

Products Discussed in

To Top