1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me build my dream truck from scratch!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 2013baja, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    2013baja

2013baja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    Gentlemen, first off I'm a new guy here, so herro! Seems like a great forum, despite some pretty aggro dudes here and there:)

I'm new to trucks, but been into cars my whole life and currently own a heavily modified & supercharged M3 and a bare to the bones Ariel Atom. I was about to buy a new sports car (C63 Black Series), but I've always had a thing for Tacomas (favorite TG episodes ever are those on "killing a toyota") and I think the time is right.

I've been looking for a Baja Access Cab w/manual transmission in black or white, but they're apparently impossible to find + everyone and their cousin on this forum says BUILD YOUR OWN SUCKA!

Since I don't know anything about building my own, I'd love to hear suggestions on exactly what parts to buy. I don’t want it to look too ostentatious nor too redneck (no offense to anyone, my two best friends are rednecks), but that’s not me. If we need to classify the look, let’s go with Steely Cold Viking (born and raised in Norway). I just had my first born son 3 months ago and I’m turning 40 (hence the midlife crisis) this year, so I’m also not looking to impress any high school chicks. College, maybe… kidding! (not really)

Seriously though, I'm not going to do any crazy off-roading, jumping, rock crawling, or desert racing, but I want it to be able to handle the occasional rutty-as-hell dirt road (I whitewater kayak and mountain bike so I do like to access off-the-beaten-path areas). I also want it to ride smooth and handle well at 90mph on the highway when I drive for 13 hours to get to Colorado (live in SoCal).

More than anything I want it to be headache and maintenance free (which is why I was leaning towards the Toyota OEM Baja vs DIY).

Anyway, I've probably said a bunch of stupid contradictory shit and offended half the community with my ignorance, so please bear with me and make your suggestions on what to buy:

1. base truck model
    2. OEM truck options
    3. suspension
    4. wheels/ tires
    5. armor
    6. performance
    7. functional additions
    8. cosmetic additions
    9. interior
    10. what else?

Cheers fellas! This should be fun.

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    woode87

woode87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB Inferno 4x4 AT P&T
    Leather, Debadged, LEDs, Tonneau, Pop & Lock, WeatherTech
    If we're telling you what to buy, isn't that our dream truck and not your dream truck?

From what you said I would just get a TRD off road (or even sport) and throw a 3" lift on it with some nice tires.

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    1. I would get whatever base model you want based off of prefered engine size. 4x4?
    2. TRD OR you get a electronic Dif locker which can be nice for froading.
    3. Check out the Mid Travel BS thread. Alot of good suspension options other than just a lift and not as crazy as LT.
    4. Wheels are really a preference just make sure you check out the sticky threads depending on what model truck you get (5-lug or 6-lug) for backspacing and offset info. Tires I always suggest go with a Mud-Terrain if you plan on offroading and want traction regardless of how much you do. They look good and serve a purpose.
    5.Check out socalduckslayers (tyler) he makes some awesome armor I wish I would have went with over my Allpro armor. He's a stand up guy and makes some awesome quality stuff.
    6. Consider gears for whatever tire size you want to run. 33s you can get away with stock but 35s youll wish you re-geared. most guys run 4.56 gears to get close to stock ratio running 35s. you wont need a S/C but anything thing under the hood is really a preference.
    7. locker anytime mod if you get 4x4 with a locker/ cab mount chop for larger tires?
    8. might consider some LED tails or black headlights/tails.
    9. weathertechs or huskyliners are a must.
    10. take a look around there are a ton of things to do in any direction you want to go.

Just some options to get you looking around, Welcome and enjoy the site.

Products Discussed in

To Top