1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide what to do with my lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, May 26, 2010.

1. May 26, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Alrighty so I bought these Gen 1 projectors off a member here since they were too cheap to pass up and I hated the output of the stock lights despite trying multiple bulb types and playing with the aim on a constant basis.

So far I have not had a single issue with the projectors, the output is great, no fogging despite rain, changing temps, and whatnot. No way am I going back to stock!

The issue is they still look like crap! I am definately itching to do something to get my front end looking good agian. The chrome is blindingly bright during the day to I am definately doing some sort of paint job. At the same time though I am not a huge fan of black headlights and want to keep a fair amount of chrome. Issue is I am a bit overwhelmed by my options.

[​IMG]

I have been thinking of a few different things and want your opinions:

For starters I am definately ripping out the stupid Eyebrow LED bar and painting over the 3 LED dots on both sides.

I was thinking about playing with the reflector housing and seeing how it functions as a fog lamp. If it works I am going to swap the LEDs to amber and make them my signals. Unfortunatley I have a feeling that it will not have a veryy good beam pattern but its still worth a shot. (The housing is chome, its the bulb that gives the orange color)

Painting:
    • Black or Colormatch?
    • Paint an eyebrow and leave the rest chrome?
    • Paint everything except the necessary reflective surfaces inside the bezels?
    • Paint everything except the extruded tubes that house the 3 lights on both sides?
    Has anyone else played with these and can anyone think of anything I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks!

2. May 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
To Top