1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me get that "new" look back!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by wmflyfisher, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Hey guys,

I bought my 05 Black Sand pearl about 6 mos ago. The paint is in pretty good shape but it's time for a wax. I've noticed in some areas that the past owner must have washed the truck without spraying it with water first. There are light scratches in certain areas and it's beginning to bug me! What would be the proper way to solve this problem and is it even fixable?? Looks to be scratched in just the clear coat but I'm no expert. I'll try to post pics here in the next couple days. Any info would be great. Also, could someone please list some good steps as far as cleaning and waxing?? Should I use a clay bar??

Thanks,
    Wes

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    depending on how bad the scratches are i would use a scratch remover rubbing compound. i have used Scratch Out paste with good success. so i would wash, scratch out, clay bar, then wax. the clay bar is super easy to use and works great. i just did this to my truck this week, and it looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. good luck!

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Thanks moto! So I use the clay bar when it's dry right? I've thought about getting a porter cable buffer too. Would this help or make things easier??

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    yes and no. you should buy a clay bar kit which will include clay bars and a lubricant(i used a meguiars clay bar kit.) so you wash you truck and dry it, then spray the clay bar lubricant kit and start rbubing. then you just wipe it off with a towel and that spot is done. very simple with great results. I have never used a buffer myself so i cant really help you there. i do know buffers can cause swirls in the paint so if it were me i would have it buffed by a professional. i would try a rubbing compound on the scratches first though. it might not completely get rid of them but might minimize them to where they are hard to notice. hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    I have really faint scratches all over my truck, the first owner must have used a cloth that he had dropped on the ground or something. It's annoying when I look at it up close. I clayed it today, waxed it today, but most are still there. Meguiers scratch x 2.0 helped on the deeper ones, but I don't feel like doing the whole truck with it. Maybe will try the Meguires cleaner wax next time, as I think it has some extremely mild abrasives in it for a polish.

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Thanks guys. No doubt it's going to take time but I'm up for it. I'm about to order a color match grille and want my truck to gleam when it's all done. Think I'm going to just concentrate on one panel at a time.

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    Here's my thread on using clay and good polish: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/39268-clay-bar-testing-my-truck-some-zaino-finish.html

I also posted a couple videos from youtube user Junkman2000 who did 10 excellent videos on detailing from start to finish. I highly suggest watching them, the results speak for themselves. I've since beefed up my detailing supplies to include a Porter Cable 7424, more polish and better washing supplies. Once this next shipment arrives I plan to do full details on both my vehicles with photos to show before and after using a good wash, clay, polish, and wax. If you do this right (watch the videos and you will feel confident), then your truck may very well look better than new.

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Wow. Great info Tango. I'm now looking at getting a 7424. I'm guessing its way easier using one of these right???

9. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Those junkman vids are awesome!

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    You're welcome. I highly recommend the 7424. It's very easy to use and good for anyone just starting out with machine buffing. I bought my kit through Adam's as I wanted to try all their products however if you want to go with a different line of products you can find the buffer by itself on other sites. Also while the Junkman2000 videos use only Adam's products you can swap in stuff from other companies, the most important part to learn from them is the technique. Make sure when you go to clay, you get a kit with 2 clay bars, if you drop a bar of clay, it is instantly garbage and I've learned dropping them can be easy. The Mothers Clay kit comes with 2, I just don't use the lube they send.

11. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    What do you use for lube? (that's what she said) :)

12. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    Adam's detail spray, I already use it for normal detailing so I prefer to avoid adding yet another random product. I just buy the Mothers kits since they have 2 clay bars.

Products Discussed in

To Top