1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me in a 19 Tacoma without the DAI

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MrGooch, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    MrGooch

MrGooch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    I'm new here and really have been wanting a Tacoma Pro for a few years now. I currently drive a '14 SRT Cherokee, the warranty ran out, I love it but need a bed and a car with a warranty to support my fishing habits.

Anyhow, I've got everything ready to go (trade-in offers, loan paper, etc.) and basically you'll see me running around to Toyota dealerships flashing dollar bills however I'm having 1 huge issue and that's finding a 2019 w/o the desert air crap on it. I'm simply not driving around the MD/DC area here with that thing on my truck. I'm looking for a Black stock pro, that's it. I found 1 dealership who said they found 1 w/o it but it's 300m away and it would take 4-5 months to get, wtf!?! I'm not waiting half a year.

So basically, if I really really want one there are several around me all with the DAI. What are my options to get this thing off the truck if I pull the trigger? Can the dealers remove them? This is literally the only thing preventing me from a purchase and it's driving me nuts. 90% of new pro's all have this thing pretty much standard in NA. I negotiated 45.5 + fees for a stock one at 2 dealerships, none of them have what I want but are willing to sell me one with the intake on it for the same price just to make a deal... I'm still not budging, does that make me dumb or uber picky?

2. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    Pirate1975

Pirate1975 “What do you do with a drunken sailor...?”

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Statesville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD Off-road
    3rd bedrail.32”duratrac tires.CaliRaised bed stiffeners,rear ditch bracket for cb antenna .SOS Concepts sliders,3skids,bedrails.curtis rack.cobra 75 cb.HAM license.887 coils,Bilstein 5100’s,medium Dakar leaf pack,extended rear brake lines,wheeler’s superbumps bumpstops.carrier bearing drop bracket.sway bar delete
    There is probably a hole in your fender..lol..and it’s just for clean air, not water. I would see about aftermarket ARB or Dobinson snorkel and see if they would fit and take the deal! Or just get a TRD off-road and do upgrades like everyone one else. The off-road is a capable beast with the right mods! And not bad stock with just a tire upgrade,and you might could find someone to do a hood swap on here.
    Just my 2 cents, but you might have to wait otherwise? I would say get what you want, you may have to fly or drive to get it sooner?

Carter'sTaco and SCJeffro like this.
  3. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    MrGooch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    Thanks, yea I definitely want the exclusivity of the Pro and won't need any type of snorkel for what I'm using it for. I'm thinking I'll have to find and go get but that's difficult (searching new car inventory). Any tips? I called the dealer back where they found the one 300 miles away and asked them to send me that info again. (I'm not going to buy it, I just want to see where it's located).

4. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Add about $1000 to your budget and fly to the Pro that is 300 miles away and make a road trip out of driving it back. You get the truck you want and some bonding time... win win.

5. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    ColsonIRL

ColsonIRL Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colson
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport - Magnetic Gray
    TRD Pro grill installed
    I'll second this. Sounds like a fun time, imo.

6. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    SCJeffro

SCJeffro @Voodoo_Blu_Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Toyota built a butt load of TRD Pros with the CAI. Depending on the color you want, finding one without a DAI is a bit difficult. Unfortunately it is not just as simple as taking it off, it is removing it and replacing the fender (or putting a different Snorkel back on the truck, that has been done a couple times on here already) There is a big hole for the intake and mounting holes for the screws.

I am in the same boat, I want a very specific TRD Pro (Voodoo, Manual trans, NO DAI...) and they are nearly impossible to find in my area now. I didn't want to travel so I may just wait it out and buy a used one or wait to see if the color I want becomes available in 2020 on the OR, then I could do a better suspension anyway and not feel too guilty about taking the pro suspension out (which, for the record, I am honestly not opposed to doing :))

Good luck in your Pro location quest. I would say just find one without the DAI if at all possible, since that is not your thing.

7. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    If you want exclusivity then you have to do a bit of work to get it. We have people flying 3000 miles to get the vehicle they want. This is not a Jeep. They are not on every street corner.
    Also, as far as I know, there are several regions that are not ordering the Pro with the snorkel.

Carter'sTaco likes this.
  8. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    glk21c

glk21c Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    that's total BS, they just don't want to make the trade with that dealer (that PRO for something equivalent) and they deem it too far. Find out the dealer that has it and contact them directly, I'm sure they'll sell it to you AND ship it to your door (for a cost of course)

good luck

TacomaUSA likes this.
  9. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:51 AM
    daveometrod

daveometrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB Blazing Blue
    Look outside your region using different zip codes at toyota.com Cincinnati Region currently has 4 black TRD Pros without DAI in inventory. This is region inventory not dealer. If you act quick with a Cinci Region dealer, they should be able to get one out of the region inventory unless somebody beat you to it. While dealers can trade, they're not likely to want to trade vehicles they can sell for top dollar/profit without getting something valuable in return.

5 months sounds like the order/reallocation process to me because that's how long it took to get an OR that I wanted.

And you know that to get the air intake outside, there is a hole in the fender.

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  10. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    MrGooch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    Yea, I'm not opposed to driving to pick a car up just not going cross country plus i have my car as a trade-in so I'd have to drive it to wherever. Will Toyota be releasing these cars throughout the month?

11. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I've heard it here and from dealers that Toyota builds certain configurations, esp the low volume ones, in groups. So, Tacos like the Pros, Limiteds, MTs, and certain colors may only appear every few months. Either patiently wait until one of these get allocated to one of your local dealers, put in an order, or go to where one is on the lot?

xxTacocaTxx and SCJeffro like this.
  12. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    salmonmigration

salmonmigration Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6MT
    It's pretty complicated to remove one of the snorkels. It would be easier and much cheaper to start with a loaded TRD Offroad, and buy a scoop hood and wheels.

SCJeffro likes this.
  13. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    MrGooch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    You were right, I found one in Ohio and called them up. However I already have quotes here for 45.5-46.5 (depending on options). This guy said he can't budge off MSRP so I said thanks and hung up... fyi was around 48k for a stock truck. Not worth the inflated price, the drive, the hotel, all that... Oh well.

14. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    SCJeffro

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think it comes down to if you want one now or want to wait and MAYBE be able to get one in 4-6 months. I have seen a couple that you can get under MSRP but it is rare on a truck that is in high demand. Finding one that you want (color/build/price) is going to be like unicorn hunting... Like the old adage says, you can have 2 out of 3 but not all 3...

You can have the Color and Build you want, but it won't be Price you are looking for...
    You can have the Build at the Price you want, but it won't be Color you are looking for...
    You can have the Color at the Price you want, but it might not be the Build you are looking for...

Etc. Etc.

This is just what I have found in my hunt.

tonered and hiPSI like this.
  15. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    You want one now, pay the price and drive. You want to dick around with the price and not travel too far? The original 4-5 months sounds right.

PROseur and xxTacocaTxx like this.
  16. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    airsickbuffa1o

airsickbuffa1o Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD OR
    OVtuned 1.03
    Begars can't be choosers. You want this below msrp when they are going for well over msrp, and this dealer is offering you what you want at msrp?

magicgus323 likes this.
  17. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    9th

9th Not a Civil Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Smitty
    Tropic of Cancer
    Vehicle:
    2017 Unicorn Silver Sky
    lubricated fuel door hinge
    Welcome to TW... I bought a 4x4 SR for under 26,000 Back in 2017...No lift... no snorkel...Manual 5 speed transmission. Good luck finding a truck.

magicgus323 likes this.
  18. Dec 10, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    MrGooch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black TRD Pro
    I knew it's coming to that but I'm being a beggar and I'm choosing not to pay a penny over MSRP. Never have, at 45.5 that's a steal that I have now. I can have one by end-Jan at the latest if I put a deposit down now from a local dealer... which i'll prob have to do. At least I'd be locked in. Thanks for the replies fellas.

19. Dec 10, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    SCJeffro

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I put a deposit down on October 6th, I signed the order sheet and I waited... Nov 13th I got news from the dealer I was working with that my order was not accepted by Toyota and I DID NOT have a truck coming any longer. So Nothing is EVER "Locked in" even if you put money down, just so you know. (My situation was because I am holding out for a specific color, with a specific Transmission and NO DAI) so YMMV..

Now I found the truck I wanted in other states, with the trans I wanted, with NO DAI... but like you I held out and didn't want to travel or didn't want to pay over MSRP and now I don't have a truck and may not be able to find one before they stop producing them for the year...

I have other plans that I am working on now, but honestly, I MAY not get what I want in the end... and it is MY FAULT (for the most part)

20. Dec 10, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    dnlskier

dnlskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD SPORT MT
    What is the deal with a "Pro" anyway. Exclusivity :rofl::rofl:. You do not want a MT - so get a SR5 and build it to be more exclusive, more capable than a pro, probably better looking too... So whats the deal with a Pro?

Carter'sTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top