1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me make an expensive decision!

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by 12TRDTacoma, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma [OP] Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    So the situation:

Snow season is right around the corner! And I am even closer to going out to tahoe for a couple days of snowboarding awesomeness! Right now I am in the process of getting some new gear. The two different pieces of gear I am looking at getting is what follows, both pretty expensive.

I currently own a 2007 Burton Bullet Snowboard with Burton Custom bindings and some Burton boots, they have been fantastic, however, after about 5 seasons I think it might be time to retire or at least have a different selection for boards.

Burton Sherlock blackout model

[​IMG]

Burton Cartel EST bindings

[​IMG]

Burton Moto boots Black/White

[​IMG]

or

Zeal Z3 Live Goggles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A video of its previous predecessor with the MOD module from recon instruments (The one I am looking at has MOD Live which has a larger number of features)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u1mUlK8qg

Features of the Zeal Z3 Live vs. The Zeal Z3

[​IMG]

Help me decide!

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    The goggles with the HUD are pretty badass.... probably ridiculous expensive. I have some 509 sinisters for snowmobiling. That HUD would be pretty awesome..

Edit: $650 yeahhh I don't need a HUD anymore

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I more then anything like the GPS function of it and how you can track your buddy if he just has a android or iPhone alone, they don't even have to have the MOD or MOD Live goggles.

Right now I am rocking some SPY Soldier goggles and have been using them for the last 3 seasons. They have been an absolute marvel as well, but these Zeal's really take the cake. Not only do they got the HUD on them but the actual lenses themselves have a photo chromatic portion of it that changes color based on how bright it is out as well.

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    those goggles are awesome....

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Come on NorCal. Give me some input :D

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Find a store where you could test those goggles out just by walking around the store. After you knock over a few end displays, bump in to other customers you might find that just getting a app for your phone would be better.

I think I would classify them as a EDD (Eyes Down Display) over HUD.

Cant speak to the board, boots and bindings. Although those boots look really comfortable :)

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I heard some nice things about the boots. I definitely do need to upgrade at least boots and I will agree with you about the edd display its too bad the mod vs mod live software doesn't have gps buddy tracking and gps of e resorts I would pick them up over the mod live equipped ones in a heart beat. They are about $200 cheaper it seems like. I haven't found one store that has them in stock though. That's the big problem.

8. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    You can't go wrong the Cartel's honestly. I rocked those for a few seasons and loved them. I recently upgraded to some Burton Malavita's and the Burton Ion boots (crazyyyyy comfortable). Both are amazing. Big step up from my old entry level Burton boots and Cartel's. I don't know if I'd buy the goggles right now. My friend got to play with them at a seminar he attended for work and talked to the rep about them. He thought they were cool and definitely worked better than he thought but he wouldn't pay retail for those.

9. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    :spy: knuckledragger:p

10. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    Get an app for that and get the gear!

those goggles are sick, however since I wasn't the winner of the most recent lottery I'd say get the new board boots n bindings and download an app for the rest.

just my penny.

enjoy the pow!!!!

11. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Hmmm... What kind of app are you guys referring to for?

The gear is what is highly desirable to me. Maybe I just need some new boots. The custom bindings have been a dream to ride on as well. I really have no complaints. I would just like to diversify my riding gear a little that's all. I would like to have an all in one built in piece of equipment since I already use it anyway in order to simplify my snowboarding experience which is why I want the goggles :D maybe I should do the goggles and some new boots.

12. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    VlineSci09

VlineSci09 My other truck is a Warthog

Member:
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 OR
    Stock
    I have alpine replay on my phone that was a really badass find. Favorite app during the winter. It records top speeds, avg speed, chairlift time, riding time, and all the runs you went on, plus some other stuff. I wouldnt get those goggles as badass as they are. I just like to have 2 sets of lenses, one for dark and one for bluebird days.

I think the best thing you could do is get a nice pair of boots, but above all I would get a board that has camber under your feet (reverse camber?). Nothing is as fun as one of these. I have the nitro gullwing but want a lib tech T rice or the attack banana. You might already have that with your burton but if you dont, look into it!!

13. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    Ever tried a pair of Thirty Two boots? Best boots EVER !!!!! The insole gets custom molded to your feet which makes them feel like your walking on sneakers!

14. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    I tried the burton custom flying v. Hated the shit outta that board. I'm going to test out my friends banana and see if I like it or if camber just isn't for me. I've been riding my same custom x for years now and I still love it :) As vline said, boots are most important. Shitty boots ruin a day real quick.

15. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    VlineSci09

Member:
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 OR
    Stock
    I had the flying v as well and I liked the board itself but what i dont like about burton anymore is the channel lock/EST system. just never worked for me. first time i tried reverse camber, pushing to the charilft i was all over the place! takes getting used to but I havent looked back since. semi-thread jack, but yeah my opinion on the goggles is just too pricey. How much would a lens replacement be?? Mine always get scratched somehow, tree runs riding through low branches, asshole friend swinging his ski pole, ect..

anyone else tried alpine replay?

16. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Those goggles are blurring the line between boarding and playing some boarding app.

Seriously, buy what you want.

The only really critical thing is boots that fit comfortably, and enough clothing to stay warm even after you fell in the snow a few times. Nobody can have a good time cold or with hurtin' feet. After that, it's all gravy.

17. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I believe mine is a positive camber style board. The thought of a reverse camber one kind weirds me out, just looking at the basic shape of it. I am going to have to look into the alpine relay app. It sounds appealing!

That sounds awesome! I am going to have to google them!

I haven't really had a problem with boots nor the board. My bullet rides pretty good, it gets a little squirrely though on steep declines.

The channel lock is what looks mot appealing to me now! Idk how much a replacement lens would be but I ride all mountain so I have nothing to worry about as far as lens replacement would be because I'm never really flying by trees. My spy goggles have not a scratch on them, that is partially because I baby the hell out of them and if they are not on my face they are in my carrying pouch.

I don't know what kind of design my burton bullet is but the thing is slightly all over the place riding to the chair lift. I looked up reverse camber design and have assumed by looking at it that my board is obviously a positively cambered board. I really like the way mine currently rides and am looking to somewhat retain the same ride. I have read that the Sherlock is worlds better then my bullet. I wonder how true that is.

I gotta agree with you about the goggles. I guess the biggest thing to me is convenience and I hate pulling my phone out of my pocket to check anything with my fat gloves on. The less I gotta do that the way better I am doing up on the mountain and the more time I can spend on the board.

My boots I think have a break in them on the inside by where my toes are on one of them and i think that allows some air and possibly some water in, which is the only reason why I have considered replacing them at all in the first place.

18. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I found the boards much cheaper on this website, anybody ever been to or heard of it???

http://burtonuksale.com

19. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    VlineSci09

Member:
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 OR
    Stock
    I havent seen that website before. I have never purchased a board online but if you know what you want there shouldnt be any concerns, saving $ is smart when you can. I always buy from a local shop but did find some tempting deals from thehouse.com

You could always test ride some snowboards, I know I had fun doing that a few seasons ago and I narrowed down my decision in the process. I found out that I didnt mind a 157cm compared to my normal 155cm cuz it was so light (nitro gullwing)

Anyways it sounds like you know what you want and have some things to look at. BTW apline replay is so easy. Open app, hit play button to begin logging and then put it back into your jacket. Then when you are done, either pause it( for lunch/Pabst Blue Ribbon break) or hit send and it will update your stats. It will even record your stats if you open other apps, like pandora in my case!

Good luck shopping for gear!

20. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Not NorCal but here in ak we get some snow so I'll chime in. I'm rocking the est cartels and they're legit. Buy those. The boots you'll have to let me know what you end up with and how you like them. With excessive frostbite and a rare bone disorder in my feet I need some good boots this season. Not super pleased with mine right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top