1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me with a Best Buy system please

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Front sight, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Front sight

Front sight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    One of my good freinds works at a Best Buy. I helped him work on his truck- lifted hit tundra- so he wants to "hook me up" with a great price on a system. I have Pioneer hu already and did the install myself. Now I want to replace the factory speakers and add a single sub. I listen mostly to country and a little rock. I'm thinking of doing 6x9's up front and 6.5's in the rear. For a sub I'm thinking Pioneer shallow mount 10 or 8 behind the rear seat. For an amp, I'm thinking a 5 channel. Less space and wiring to deal with. I will get my speaker adapters from Dr. Marv and will dynomat all doors and behind the seats.

My question is, based on what best buy offers, what would you choose?
    Oh, I don't want a componant set.
    www.bestbuy.com

Thanks in advance. Dominik

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.

1. Why not components?

2. Amp
    Front speakers
    Rear speakers - same, or run the linked above as rear and get some components for the front.
    Sub - the pioneer shallow is probably about as good as it will get from Best buy, that will fit in the truck.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I'm trying to keep costs down and trying to keep it simple and my ears won't pick up the diff. Have you heard the JBL's? I have used them many years ago, but I don't know about their new stuff.

I was eyeing the same amp, but have never used the brand before for an amp.

As for a sub, I was looking at the kicker in a truckbox. Not a bad price for sub plus box. I just don't know if it will fit.

Thanks for the input.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    Nope, have not used the speakers - it looks like they have some sort of crossover for the tweeters, which beats about 95% of coax drivers on the market, even if it is a 6db rolloff via a cap.
    JBL generally puts a lot of engineering into their stuff, so I would go that route over other options.

The amp - I have not used that one, but have used other JBL/infinty amps (same company) and have always had good luck.

I would rather spend a few xtra bucks for a box built for the truck, knowing it will be a great fit, instead of bolting in a poor fitting truck box. One built for the truck will look better, too.

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    Dont run 6x9's in the front. They put out more mids and lows, but if you're going to run a sub then that doesnt matter. Run some coax or components in the front in a 6.5'' round. Any time you take a round speaker (i.e. 6.5'' round) and change that spherical shape (6x9's) then you're going to cut sound quality. Think of when you drop a rock in water. The waves go out in a circular pattern. Same goes for speakers. You WILL notice a difference between the two, I promise.

I'm running a JBL sub right now, and it completely blew my mind how good it sounds. I'm in process of upgrading everything in my truck to JBL. So that's the route I would go.

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll install the door speakers first and get to the sub. I was trying to be lazy with the sub box, but your right, I'll figure out the air space the sub needs and build the box to match.
    Thanks again.

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    depends upon the installer on duty at bestbuy.

8. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    Taco Erik

Taco Erik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    2004 tacoma totalled, new 2005 Tacoma
    3" toytec coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks, camburg uca's, 1" AAL, Uws toolbox, 12" kicker sub system, flowmaster super 40s, more mods to come new build
    I have a kicker comp vr 12 and it sounds great with all music!!

9. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    I'm doing the install myself. My freind is just hooking me up on some prices for helping him out. So I'm limited to what I can choose. I just wanted some help in choosing speakers, sub and amp from their inventory.

10. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Cool, I'll do 6.5's x4. I'm going to stick with componants though, I don't want to deal with a tweater that doesn't fit in the stock location or any fab work to make it fit.
    Thanks

11. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Might want to rethink your opinion about 6X9's and sound quality. I run 6x9's in BOTH of my competition vehicles and they score VERY VERY well in MECA SQ competition. Matter of fact my Tacoma has one of the highest scores in MECA street class in the country currently and that is with 6X9's. As for not needing a 6x9 because of a sub, that not entirely correct....consider your 6x9 or 6.5 or whatever is going to provide your midbass and a larger driver in that area is a definate benefit.

12. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    tommelleo22

tommelleo22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Castle, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport off road
    Yellow Fogs kicker cvr 10's alpine ivaw205 head unit, leveling kit
    JBL door speakers are the way to go. i work at a local audio shop on the weekends and we have installed everything you can think of. big name wise i'd stay away from rockford fosgate and kicker components. the speakers are good but WAY over priced JBL polk kenwood all some good door speaker options that wont break the bank. and subwoofer wise i've had just about everything in my taco and i'd have to say my kicker cvr 10's and my JBL gto 10's sounded the best acoustically. i listen to mainly rock and country too. kickers hit mad lows unlike most woofers. all depends on what you want bro. PM me if you need any help

13. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    You have to remember the level of quality difference in Best Buy by9s (VBA, anyone?) vs the ID XS (I am guessing this is what you run)...

14. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    tommelleo22

tommelleo22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Castle, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport off road
    Yellow Fogs kicker cvr 10's alpine ivaw205 head unit, leveling kit
    good point matt. forgot about that.

15. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    ratboy85

ratboy85 Well-Known Member

Member:

were do you have a comp vr in a double cab toyota?

16. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    ratboy85

ratboy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    if your doing the install yourself...

compare his prices with web prices.. i.e. onlinecarstereo.com

i personally like kicker on that sight they have good deals on components right now (kicker)

now if you want to spend more money than that there are plenty of high end speakers but then again to the average person just wanted some tunes they are not worth it. i used to run 2 sets of boston pro's components and they were good but not for the money

i run a pair of 6.5 ks kicker components up front and a pair of ks 5x7 rear and mine sound great they are loud and clear..

you also dont have to have a 5 channel amp to power both highs and a sub.. you can run a 4 channel amp you can run it as a 3 channel and do pretty decent if your trying to keep the cost down.

17. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the replies so far. In between work and school and kids, my face has been buiried in the computer reading and searching.
    So much info out there, but you have to weed through the misinformation and crap to get to it.

I want the 5 channel to save space and is the reason I want just one sub. I have lots of stuff in my bins- towstraps, first aid kit, plug kit, air comp., lights, some of my Sheriff's stuff etc.
    Matt posted this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinit...fier/9897034.p?id=1218191354641&skuId=9897034 and it's perfect for me, all the power I need in a compact size.

I'm going to get the JBL's he listed aswell. Now I just need to settle on a sub.
    Like I said, if I wasn't getting hooked up with the price, I would be buying my stuff off the net.
    Thanks again.

18. Mar 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    I will def. cross check his prices with what I find on the net. In this economy one has to.
    I thought about using a 4 channel and know I could get away with it, but with the size and power of the 5 channel above, it does all I need in the size I need.
    Thanks for the input.
    Dominik

19. Mar 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    B R

B R Active Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC 4 Banger Auto
    I just put some Sony 3 way Xplod 6x9s in the front doors, that I got from BB. They made a nice improvement. BB's price was a bit higher than what you can get them for on Ebay, but I had a giftcard that was burning a hole in my wallet.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top