1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help...need answers pls

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Angelalorenzo, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM
    Angelalorenzo

Angelalorenzo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma regular cab pick-up
    1st, has anyone replaced a steering wheel for a 2000 Tacoma pick-up? When replacing the steering wheel with an after-market one, can the black piece be removed from underneath the steering wheel? (Black piece that has the airbag and horn connecter)...only because I can't fit the after-market steering wheel kit for the '96-'04. THANK YOU in advance...

2. Feb 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM
    jeffvt0508

jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson,SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Super White Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    K&N Air Filter, mud flap mod, anti-theft tailgate mod, fog light anytime mod, OEM roof rack, tonneau cover,plasti dip lower valence,Avid Light Bar, Billies 5100, Grillcraft grill, TW sticker,Hi-Lift jack mount
    yikes... I don't have any experience in this but going to give you a Bump for the early risers who may know.. do you have a Haynes manual?

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    Angelalorenzo

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    Nope, but this is a photo I took of it...Thanks for the Bump! This can be removed, but is there a way I can install the kit without removing it...if I do, I won't have a horn...OUCH! Or is there a way.....

[​IMG]

4. Feb 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
    jeffvt0508

jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson,SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Super White Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    K&N Air Filter, mud flap mod, anti-theft tailgate mod, fog light anytime mod, OEM roof rack, tonneau cover,plasti dip lower valence,Avid Light Bar, Billies 5100, Grillcraft grill, TW sticker,Hi-Lift jack mount
    what aftermarket kit do you have?

5. Feb 3, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    Angelalorenzo

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
  6. Feb 3, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    From another forum. . .

"first, disconnect your battery. let it sit for about 30mins to remove all stored energy. then on your steering wheel[​IMG] there should be about 4 screws, i think 2 on each side. they are covered by little plastic covers. just pry them off. that should allow you to remove the horn/airbag cover. then from there just unscrew your airbag[​IMG] out and disconnect all cables. the final step is the fun part. remove the steering wheel bolt(center of the wheel) you can tap/hit your steering wheel in hope that it will come out as you tug or you can buy a steering wheel puller. 30 bucks. heck of a lot easier on you. i did this on my lexus sc300. but almost all steering wheels[​IMG] are the same. for the install, buy a steering wheel hub that is made for your car, place it on where the oem wheel use to be, tighten it down to specific torque, if you want, install horn wires, and if you are lucky, it will come with a airbag light resistor to turn off that airbag light. then attach your wheel"

To Top