1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!!! New Puppies, Need help socializing them

Discussion in 'Pets' started by tacomathunder, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Feb 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Hello, back in december I adopted a male lab mix from the humane society, he is now 3 months old. Just the other day I adopted a female German Shepherd mix dog that is 4 months old because I could not get over how perfect she is. she has been with me now for 3 days. She has been very timid and down the past 2 because she was just spayed. But today she perked up. so i figured i would have my girlfriend hold "delta" the german shepherd mix and i would hold "oakley" the lab mix. when i went into the room with oakley they looked at each other for a little bit, then delta the shepherd mix started growling looking at oakley.

now i know that you are supposed to have them meet at a neutral location. but i am nervous that they won't like each other at all. what can i do??? does anyone have similar experiences???

2. Feb 10, 2015 at 3:37 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
  3. Feb 10, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    Kanga

Kanga tard

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Murvul, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB TRD sport
    yes. german shepherds are not for the faint of heart. they will almost always test the alpha position in your pack. the fix doesn't begin with the two dogs. it begins with your relationship with her. don't repeat commands over and over with no result. you give the command once, you show her what you want, and then when she does it, praise or treat. make her follow through every single time. once she understands where you want her in your pack, the relationship with other dogs will usually fall into place. she will take your lead when meeting new people/dogs. if she continues to show aggression, you may want to find an obedience instructor. you can never let a gs be alpha. you will never have peace again. or intact possessions. or friends.

4. Feb 10, 2015 at 6:39 AM
    Kanga

Kanga tard

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Murvul, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB TRD sport
  5. Feb 10, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    What kanga said. GL

6. Feb 10, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    We adopted a 3 month old puppy (shepherd mix) and introduced him to our 6 year old yorkshire terrier. They hated each other at first and my wife and I did everything we could to get them to get along - they would snap at each other and constantly fight for our attention. Once we stopped forcing them to get along and started being the leaders, it went a lot more smoothly.

Basically instead of trying to get them to like each other, we stopped the aggressive behavior towards each other (broke up any fights immediately and made them both go to their beds and stay there - a time out to say the least). After about ten minutes, they would both come to us looking for reassurance and ignored each other. It happened for a couple weeks straight, and we kept up the same routine. After about three months, they actually would sit next to each other and now they are best buddies and play. They still have their spats when one is playing with a toy and the other tries to take it, but a quick growl and the other knows to back off.

I was worried we would have to give the puppy back, but time with a little mediation between my wife and I helped them learn to get along. They will establish their own pecking order (the yorkie gives way to the shepherd when coming in from outside and lets him go out first), but they both know my wife and I rule the roost and don't fight for that position anymore. They will figure it out, just make sure they know you are the top dog.

7. Feb 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    I'm going to bring both of them to the park today to see how that goes, i know it will take a while, i just am new at introducing new dogs to eachother

8. Feb 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    Kanga

Kanga tard

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Murvul, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB TRD sport
    well, know that it's always stressful, even for people that have done it before. just be patient, firm, and consistent. it will work out.

9. Feb 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    i had to btw lol, i love these dogs to death

10967047_999420596752717_1533848054_n.jpg
    10966655_999836553377788_1307469964_n.jpg

10. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    Time,they have to learn to be around each other.My doxen foamed at the mouth when I brought my lab home.A few weeks and they got along.

11. Feb 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    my pups are now together everyday... only problem is they love to rough house with each other a lot... problem is they seem to go to far every time and i have to break them up... how can i get them to stop rough housing like that??? what methods have you guys used?

12. Feb 16, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
  13. Feb 16, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    Let them work it out, you should be the leader of the pack and they will figure out the rest.

14. Feb 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    i have for days now, but they still rough house and every once in a while one gets mad enough at the other to the point that they attack each other and one yelps... then i have to separate them and crate them to keep them away from each other

15. Feb 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    UBYBC

UBYBC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    you need to exercise these dogs. Start long walks together. They are excited, tense, bored and full of too much energy. They need to have a job every day. I would highly recommend a professional kennel obedience program also. Any good one will be minimum (1) month and be able to demonstrate multiple started and finished dogs for you. You also get trained on how to be a leader, take ownership of the home and disallow and correct any aggressive behavior.

Products Discussed in

To Top