1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help picking tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rangertacoma, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    ryanvar42

ryanvar42 That is your opinion. It is wrong.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Forester Sport
    None
    It depends where you buy them from not the manufacture.

2. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    PawelB

PawelB Amor patriae nostra lex

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR, DC-SB, AT
    wow, you have a dream job! I'm stuck in my home office....:-(
    All the best

3. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    TACOTRDPRO1

TACOTRDPRO1 TOM S

Member:
    ROCHESTER NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO // 2010 VETTE ZR1
    AUTHORIZE TOYO DEALER ??

4. Apr 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
  5. Apr 18, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    PhenixFord

PhenixFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    That's a hard choice. I like the security of the E's when I was doing a lot of 4W Driving. But the highway performance of the E's were a lot less desirable (fuel mileage and harshness). The C's were great on the highway, but I always felt a little like walking on egg shells when off-roading. Best thing about the Duratracs is they are very good at everything. But not really great at any one thing. Snow, ice, mud, dirt, street were all pretty good. Rain was just OK.

I did run both E's and C's.

PS: The mileage on these tires (on the jeep) was exceptional. I sold a set at 80K miles and they still looked good.

Tocamo[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 18, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Ya, I'm happy with my C load, and haven't had a concern off roading due to it being a mid size truck. The Duratracs have nice big lugs and great sidewall protection, and even great rim protection with the extra lip. More importantly a nice smooth, quiet ride considering how beefy they look and feel.. I'd only get E load for a full size truck, or if I towed a lot.

7. Apr 18, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    PhenixFord

PhenixFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    Agreed.

Tocamo[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    RatDaddy

RatDaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD O/R Premium pkg
    None

I have run Nitto Terra Grapplers on multiple trucks and my jeep. All my off road stuff is in the southwest and rockies, so very little mud. When I upgrade tires on this truck, I am going to either go with the Terra Grapplers or something like the KO2's in thread design. I have seen mixed reports on the wildpeaks and they were going to be my next tire, but after all the differing reports of quality control issues, I am staying away

ToyoTaco25[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 1, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    Acesolo1!

Acesolo1! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    benjamin
    Vehicle:
    2020 tacoma dbl cab 4x4 v6 sr
    n/a
    I need some help/opinions. (This is about tires as well) I am so confused and annoyed I'm about to sell my tacoma which I really dont want to ..i have a 2020 tacoma double cab auto 4x4. Just got it with 6000 miles on it ...i first noticed a rumblestrip feeling when braking so 3 days after purvhasing I had the leaf springs replaced and a steering wheel weight installed under tsb.it helped a little.then they replaced rear drums and said they were warped? They didnt check before I bought it?? How do they get warped or out of round within 6000 miles? Anyways. That helped a little as well but still not satisfied.still nowhere near normal.operation. .i got a few issues with this truck and not sure what to do anymore..i replaced the shocks with bilstein 4600s.i purchased and installed nokian rotiva at p rated tires .my issues are : the ride is sometimes horrible .i dunno if its the tires or suspension or whats going on .i feel evwry imperfection on the road .sometimes I feel like my one tire hops more then the rest .it may be the tire with the higher rfb number (22) was told its still an acceptable number but I question it.

.ive had the tires balanced 4 times now but of course no one will match mount them .22 lbs is barely accepted no need they say . I told them I'm sensitive to how my vehicles drive and really need to get this figured out .ill pay whatever it takes.still not the help I wish I got.

Seperate issue I think?50-60 mph I get a droaning im assuming from the transmission but only if I'm maintaining constant speed .(cruising but not using cruise control).if i am going up a slight incline and going 45mph ish i swear I feel either tire wobble/hop or bogging/shuddering.whatevsr it is itz not smooth .i dont feel the normal gradual and consistent movement forward.it could be that the truck isnt acclerating and I'm feeling the tires ?or it could be fuel pump issue? Mines not covered tho ... All I know is I feel somethibg and its not smooth .if I put it in sport mode and shift myself the truck feels 10x better .probably because im feeling the vehicle going up through the rpms more,no 1500 rpm bs or gear hunting and the feeling of the tires or suspension is dampened ?

If I come to a stop like normal I get a vibration,sometimes alot like a thud thud thud .ive tried atopping fast,slow,sport mode,drive,with and without ect etc etc and I never get the same outcome.sometimes I stop faster then I normally would(testing it out)and theres less vibration .other times its bsck to the same old bullshit ..I have watched the rpms,the gears etc etc to pinpoint when and where and ive noticed at 20mph until 15mph the tranny sounds rougher ,is slow going from 20-15 and as soon as it hits 15 it drops quick and is as smooth as butter .if I stop like normal and do not let it coast while its doing its thing between 20 and 15 mph then thats when I get the vibration so it seems tranny related? I could even let it decelerate with foot off the pedals and going very slow and I still feel thw rumble or vinration through 20-15 .if I shift it in sport mode myself from 3-2 or 2-1 right at 20 then usually no vibration.dealerships are no help.they say thats juts how it is and wont hook up a scanguage to watch whats exactly going on .ive rolled it around in my head if maybe the rough ride I'm feeling is the tranny bc ive heard some people mistaken it for that but sometimes I lean toeards maybe it is and sometimes I lean towards not so .i havent had the level checked bc they want to keep it overnight and I cant do that .i need to get to work .they dont offer a loaner so I will be doing that myself probably today .i downloaded the service manual and found how to do so with a wire and using the trucks temp check mode .i know alot of pwople get it tuned but no ones said if the 50-60 drone goes away etc .bc of the droan I wonder if its somesort of mount or exhaust .i dont have anyone to help me check things out such as rev it while I look so im stuck with dealers who do a half assed look or dont believe a new truck can have any issues .i know there were some tsbs for axle flange clearance,shafts twisted and I know a needle bearing is a known issue .my drivera side cv axle has alot of play in it .not just in and out but if I push up on it it tilts as if the bottom of it would come out of the diff first.hope I explained that right? Is that normal on this truck? Could this be leading to my vibration while stopping?could it be a coincidence the tranny acts as it does and what I'm really feeling is the cv axle?
    Ive wondered if its carrier bearing related ,driveshaft angle due to them replacing the leafs and adding a shim.not sure if they measured it right .the front part of shaft is at a higher angle then the second part that goes to the rear axle .also the first piece closer to the transfercase is not only at more of a angle but its slightly to the side/not straight .

I know this is a long and zig zagged rant but all info is appreciated ..im fucking jealous of hearing other tacoma owners talking about how smooth and great their truck is .like wtf mines basically new and I feel like I'm in a dump truck .im wondering if anyone has had the nokian rotiva at p rated tires and have noticed if they also feel every little bump and imperfection like I do? I dunno if its the tires or if my suspension is too stiff or not stiff enough .sounds crazy to me to say that but ive read a forum for motorcycles where they were bullshitting about how their rough ride was due to the syspension not being stiff enough?I figured bilstein 4600s would be a stiff but comfortable ride.
    Ive just order new front rotors,front pads,rear shoes and plan to have the "new" rear drums machined and checked .it seems lile I will have to throw money at this thing until I figure out whats going on .i plan on going to a true driveline shop to get the angles checked and will probably replace the needle bearing with ecgs bushing and cv axle myself just to rule it out due to dealerships not wanting to throw parts at it or giving me the whole "it sucks but its normal"routine .....im desperate guys .i know alot of people on these forums talk shit and act better then others but I'm asking for your help.i know this probably wasnt ths right way to post all this but I'm new to this forum and not familiar with things just yet ...i know theres alot in there but if you have any thoughts,opinions,knowledge or reviews on anything please let me know ..ive been in trucks,jeeps and everything else and this is not just a "its a truck so its gonna drive like a truck"thing.i know its not gonna drive like a cadillac but ive never been in a truck that did all of this .i appreciate any and all help.

10. May 1, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    High_Desert_Rex

High_Desert_Rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SLC and Kanab, UT
    Vehicle:
    Cement ‘21 TRDORDCSB w/GFC - Red ‘19 TRDORDCSB6MT w/GFC (rip)
    GoFastCampers Platform Camper
    hey Mr. Park Ranger. Guessing you work at Glen Canyon. Nice! I’m originally from Kanab, UT (in SLC now) but worked a few seasons as a backcountry ranger at Capitol reef NP in college. Plus my dad is a retired 40 year veteran of the NPS. Ranger life is the best!

On to tires. I have the Wildpeaks, about 22K miles on mine and showing a little bit of wear. They’ve been great all around for me, off-road and on. Super great tire in the snow and wet too.
    With that being said, im planning on trying BFG ATs for my next tire, in a skinnier 255/75/17 c load, on trd sema wheels :bananadance:

11. May 1, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    RatDaddy

RatDaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD O/R Premium pkg
    None
    Assuming your truck is stock and an OR, like mine, not sure why yours is so different unless you came from a car and think that a truck should drive like one. Maybe your truck has some issues. One thing I noticed is tire shops tend to overinflate the tires by alot. The tires are designed for 30 ish and my shop put them at 35. Totally changed how the truck rode. Felt like a solid piece of rubber and harsh. I had to reduce it back down to 30-32. Tire pressure and stiffness in a tire are not linear. Stiffness increases much faster as pressure gets higher. Also, maybe you should go test a Frontier like I did, which was the truck I was dead set on buying. If you think your truck feels like a dump truck, wait till you drive the Frontier. Yours will feel like a cadillac comparatively

12. May 1, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    I assume this stuff was happening before the shocks and tires were changed? I remember reading about a few others who had similar issues and one of them had the rear axle shaft replaced after going through everything you already have. The flange on the axle was not true and no amount of balance or damping would "fix" it.

13. May 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    NinGee87

NinGee87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm running 275/70/17 KO2s and I love them. I've been on many service roads in AZ where it was super rocky and haven't aired down (Its hot out and I am lazy.. :tumbleweed:)

The tires have done pretty well and haven't let me down (luckily). They are E rated though, and I did notice a drop in mpg. Nothing too terrible, I drive a truck anyway.

Phlogiston likes this.
  14. May 1, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Dude I know it's on the site but better to ask someone vs just looking.

How's the pay?
    Obviously it's an awesome job.
    Are you federal or state?
    Are you seasonal or permanent?

15. May 3, 2021 at 2:29 AM
    Acesolo1!

Member:
    First Name:
    benjamin
    Vehicle:
    n/a

yep.everything was happening before i changed the tires and shocks.having my leafs replaced and shims added by the dealer helped most of the rumblestrip vibration when stopping but still got a hint of it left..my main concern is feeling like i cant get a good tire balance which has lead me to wonder if one of my axle shafts has an issue as well but trying to get the dealer to check that is almost impossible.they say "its new just drive it" i know there was a tsb for the axle flange clearance and the shafts not being true .i will try to pursue that route for sure and somehow get that checked.

16. May 3, 2021 at 2:38 AM
    Acesolo1!

Member:
    First Name:
    benjamin
    Vehicle:
    n/a

ive had cars,jeeps and trucks .what im feeling is not right thats all i know .a new vehicle shouldnt vibrate.shudder or drone...im almost at my wits end bc the dealerships do a halfassed look and dont take me serious."its new just drive it"or "oh thats normal they all do it" ive even gotten "thats the transmission shaking/shuddering when you stop.its normal"
    ive tried different psi and keeping it around 32 which is what the door say seems to be the best.now that ive had the balance done 4 times and made sure to get road force balancing im convinced its something else.one of my tires was 20lbs rf number and the rest were 13,16,18 .on the machine it said 20lbs was acceptable.i think 28 was getting into replace it territory ?something like that anyways..
    im thinkning maybe axle shaft/flange issue for that issue but i dunno if that would lead to my other issues......braking or even letting it coast to a stop 20mph-15mph something is going on .even if i dont hit the brake pedal it shakes just a tiny bit .dunno if that carrier bearing or driveshaft related or whats going on .

RatDaddy[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 3, 2021 at 3:41 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    If you find that tsb, the first page or pages should have the symptoms/conditions required for it to apply so make sure you have those or if you are determined they it may be the problem, tell them it has those issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top