1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help please, broken 6 way connector

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tmmccarley, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Apr 1, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    tmmccarley

tmmccarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd Mccarley
    Vehicle:
    2012 White ex cb tacoma
    My 2012 2.7l 4x4 tacoma has zero gas pedal input, the idle is rough as fudge, and the trac light n engine light is on.

I looked under the hood (after having no gas pedal at all) [GALLERY=media, [ATTACH=full]3866795[/ATTACH] 20200401_192623.jpg 634907]20190504_184040 by tmmccarley posted May 4, 2019 at 6:45 PM[/GALLERY]only to notice that the wires for this connector were completely broken off all 6 of them.

Mind you, i drove this truck all day with no issues and parked, generally speaking, where i always park.

Do you guys think this was some kind of sabotage (i hate to say that) or some little shit of animal of some sort perhaps. Or just some typical junk wiring of Toyota that just happened to go today.

I did realize there is barely enough room to even get the broken wires to this connector. Is this clearly what is causing my issues?

If it was an animal can my insurance take the hit or can i at least say maybe it was a criminal. esp in this crazy time maybe they will actually care less n help me out.

Is their a name for this connector and it is a hard fix? If their was enough wire leff on the connector side id ob try to do something but their def is not. Unfortunately.

2. Apr 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    I doubt anyone will believe a criminal sabotage story.

Probably just some critters.

There's a guy on here that knows the connectors by heart and can probably set you up with some part numbers to fix that cheaply. @Muddinfun do you know who that is? I can't remember

You can also try finding a Tacoma with a 2tr fe at a salvage yard and asking if you can get them to cut a pigtail connector for you and splicing it yourself

3. Apr 1, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    tmmccarley

tmmccarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd Mccarley
    Vehicle:
    2012 White ex cb tacoma
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah i guess who the heck would actually only cut this as their is the entire wiring harness thru the firewall on the right. Which i did look at which thankfully looks fine.
    This is just weird.
    I have a pic of my engine bay from may if last year n everything looks perfect. So who knows the cause.
    As for the refrence to the person you are speaking of im not sure. I guess i will hopefully wait for another reply maybe i can find him diggin around myself too. Thanks

4. Apr 1, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  6. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    That looks to be the throttle body connector. Toyota part number is 90980–11858 for the housing (black plastic part). It'll be connector T 1 in the electrical wiring diagram.

But that looks to be fine still on yours with just the wires being broken. Toyota sells repair pigtails, you cut the broken wire then solder and heat shrink on wires that already have crimped on terminals and seals. You'd pull the broken terminals out and insert the repair pigtail.

The Toyota part numbers for those are:
    160mm long one is 82998-12440:

iu.jpg

500mm long ones are:
    82998-12800
    82998-12590

You can buy this kit if you think you have enough length of wire to crimp on new terminals. It's the OEM supplier (Yazaki) to Toyota so it's the same thing.

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=627

090II-6S-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Jimmyh likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    '14RC

'14RC WA State

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Regular Cab 5MT
    2" Lift & 32" tires w/ Camping Setup (see details) Suspension: Dobinson 2" Coils (PN: C59-316) 4x Bilstein 5100's (base setting) SPC Upper Control Arms Deaver J66 Leaf Springs Ride-Rite Airbags Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Poly Leaf Spring Bushing Camping: SnugTop Canopy ARB awning Built a Camping Shelf in the Bed Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Basket Interior: Bucket Seat Conversion Acoustically Insulated Interior Added Cruise Control Rear Storage Organizers Traction: Yellow Wire Mod Alloy's with 265/75/16 Towing: Aftermarket Class III Tow Hitch Trailer Wiring Brake Controller (wired, not installed) Misc: ECGS Bearing NH Oil Undercoating
    Wow Johnny on the Spot! Good find, this is a great solution.

If it's any peace of mind, I had some critters eat through a wire in my engine bay and the repair shop mentioned that some Japanese Makes switched to a vegetable based wire coating that animals find enjoyable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  8. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
  9. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yep, definitely mouse chomped. Comprehensive insurance would cover it but it’s such a small easy job that fixing it yourself would be cheaper than the deductible on the insurance. That ebay listing posted above is correct but that ebay seller has some pretty bad feedback. If it was me, I would order it here.

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/2300

10. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    In case you fudge it while assembling it...
    upload_2020-4-1_23-29-40.jpg

11. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    SocalTaco15

SocalTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    This is what I love about this community.

12. Apr 4, 2020 at 10:19 PM
    tmmccarley

tmmccarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd Mccarley
    Vehicle:
    2012 White ex cb tacoma
    Im a co at a state prison n ive been rather busy lately. This is so hopeful. Ive contemplated the insurance call only because there may be other wires damaged im not seeing. However, i just feel like they will fix this, in this exact manner n prob charge my insurance company 3500 bucks for a wiring harness or some crap anyway, so really im just saving myself from allowing someone who prob doesnt care if the wire gets moisture 2 years from now from touching my truck.

I appreciate this very much. You guys are exceptional. I do have another vehicle a 330 (cringe) lol. So im good but I will update you guys on the fix when im done. Had I lowered my comprehensive to 250 like i wanted to a few months ago but forgot to i would just let em do it.
    I do recommend everyone lower their comprehensive (assuming u carry full coverage) as it may only increase ur 6 month payment by 10 or 20 bucks all together sometimes. If u lowered the collision it would raise the monthly payment by 40 bucks or so lol. There is a huge difference its almost like why not.

In either case thankyou. So far looked into the b motorsports as its essentially the same as the ebay just looks stock and prob better quality, however they dont seem to be open possibly because of this craziness. So unsure if i cant order it what I will do. The wires are small as s*** so it will be easy but ive noticed n i will show u guys one other thing i just didnt have time to take the pic.

Thanks alot, really I mean it. This is not a commonly repaired or replaced part so I think this should help some people. If I do the individual wires rellaced using my same connector do I need any special tools or anything?

SocalTaco15 and Muddinfun like this.
  13. Apr 4, 2020 at 10:35 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’ve bought from Ballenger Motorsports before and they’re great to deal with. At the top of their page, it states.

Coronavirus Update: We are still shipping orders, answering phones & emails normally.

14. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    tmmccarley

tmmccarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd Mccarley
    Vehicle:
    2012 White ex cb tacoma

This is the one I went with as I just wasnt 100 percent certain if the ebay seller is actually in the u.s. so i bought this since im in pa they are in va, confirmed it with a phone call and it made it to my house within 3 days with priority usps which wasnt expensive 20 bucks altogether. Fit perfect and was exactly what I needed.

Just an fyi, if anyone cares, this connector is no where near the excellent quality toyota used. There is def a clear diff in quality. The Toyota plug is harder thinker completely enclosed and just made so well its crazy when u compare them both. This one is still good, dont get me wrong but theres a clear reason why its only 12 bucks lol. Either way better than having my truck towed to the dealer or mechanic and paying 500 bucks for them to do prob the same exact thing. Anywhere other than the dealer is ordering the same part i got and charging me way more for it, prob would of claimed they bought it off of Toyota and ripped me right off as much as they could.

I did have to repair 1 other wire, it looked to be part of the wiring for the 3rd cylinder not exactly sure what it was but i had to undo and cut into that really thick protective plastic sleeve that goes along side the engine about the length of the engine and there was barely enough wire left to get it together, but non the less it worked. The wire next to that had a tiny piece of the rubber or whatever it is around the wire. I just put a good piece of shrink wrap around that rather than cutting into it just to connect it as the wire was undamaged and im not a wiring expert so the less wires I put together the better lol. Also wraped everything i did with good electrical tape and then wrapped multiple wires i did again with electrical tape, n then protected those with either the original loom or put new loom on them to further protect them.

It wasnt until after the fact browsing around I found wire loom similar to the plastic stuff but it also has some sort of braided wire lining almost, i might still get a few feet of it because it has closed style and velcro style, i didnt see the velcro one till later or id of bought that as the only way to put the other one on would have to be before you would splice the connector onto it obv. In other words this other one can be applied to the finished product. And im gonna chuck it on all the other wiring that doesnt see any heat that they assumed (for good reason, but in my case i def need to protect this engine bay) and feel that much more comfortable that this hopefully wont happen again.

Im also going to use a few good ideas of either spray the wires a little with water and putting some cayenne pepper or something like that and when it dries it pretty much stays on there pretty good supposedly. They also make a spray with something similar to oc spray but a little more mild and user friendly that is meant to stay onto the surface unlike oc spray otherwise id lace my engine bay with that (however my better judgment and nightmarish thoughts of crashing because i cant see because of the oc being in the vents when i put the air on scared me away from that idea lol).

Anyway, I just want to thank you and everyone else for helping me it means alot.

The color code diagram "C M" posted was very helpful as it was difficult to see on my old connector what blue wires were where. Im not sure why the hell Toyota used 2 blue wires so similar in color on the smae connector. wish they would have put a white line on one or the other at least. They may have looked much different when new but I swear when u have em cut side by side they looked identical, at least my case they did.

Anyway thank you very much guys. Thankfully i have 2 cars so i was able to take my time, but this absolutely saved me 480 dollars and i absolutely appreciate. Feels good when you fix something urself as well. Who knows Idk how to solder but I ised connectors with heat shrink also with solder and put bigger hest shrink over those connectors followed by electrical tape, so hopefully no one ever see my ridiculous work lol. Theyd be like this guy is an idiot probably. Whatever prob already has water in them corroding, hopefully not though.

Products Discussed in

To Top