1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP: Rear Axle issues

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by zacharypaul89, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jan 27, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 [OP] Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    9/16/16 update:

So I replaced the rear axle seal....the original wasn't bad. There was no groove where the seal was rubbing....everything looked perfect. However, it's still leaking. My father-in-law said it may bent a bent axle (the actual axle inside the housing). He said this may be causing an oblong rotation, which may cause the seal to have gaps in it when spinning. This may also explain a little bump I feel at around 45-55 mph.

Thoughts?

UPDATE
    :

When I bought my '03 4wd last year, I knew it had some rear end issues. After my last tire rotation, I found out it was a busted axle seal on the rear driver's side. Ordered 2 axle seals for like $20 a few months ago and plan on installing them this weekend.

What is throwing me off is I saw the guy I bought the truck from last week and told him what the issue was and he said he had replaced axle seals a few times and they always bust. He said he had the whole axle rebuilt and tried other things, but the seals kept blowing (whether this is true or not, I dunno).

The only thing I can think of is that pressure us building up and the gear oil is looking for the path of least resistance to escape: the axle seal. If this is true, I'm thinking the diff breather may be clogged. I have all the parts to do a breather extension I ordered a few months ago, so my plan is to do that, put in the new seal, and change my gear oil.

Thoughts?

Original post:

Hey guys,

I bought my '03 TRD 4x4 almost a year ago and the guy I bought it from said he'd been having some rear end issues, but could never really figure out what it was. After inspection, I noticed he had 2" metal blocks to lift the rear, so I assumed it was either axle wrap or the blocks rubbing against the leaf making noise when braking.

My father-in-law said he thought the diff fluid was low, but I don't think that's it (although, I'm checking and changing it this weekend, anyway).

Here's what's going on: whenever I brake, you can hear like a metal grinding, twisting type noise. It only happens on a rotation, much like when your disk brakes get a spot in them. To be clearer, if I'm slowly braking, I'll only hear the noise in one spot of the rotation. It's not a constant noise when I break, only in like 1/8th of the rotation. From inside the cab, it sounds like it's coming from the back right, but it could be the left side.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but sometimes when I brake, the truck shakes really bad. I've never owned a Taco with ABS, so I thought it may be that, but now I'm thinking it may be related to my rear brake/axle issue.

I'm going to try to take a video of it from underneath the cab, but I'm still working on how to do that without duct taping my phone under my truck lol.

I've got access to almost any tool I need, so I'm hoping this is something I can diagnose and fix myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. Jan 27, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    whopper

whopper 2016 MGM 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma double cab 4x4 MGM
    On going
    Have you checked the rear brake shoes?

3. Jan 27, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I have not. I really don't know much about drum brakes at all, so I really wouldn't know what to look for. I'm going to look for a DIY now. My father-in-law is pretty automotivally inclined, so I won't be diving in completely blind.

4. Jan 27, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    whopper

whopper 2016 MGM 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma double cab 4x4 MGM
    On going
    Yes sounds like maybe a shoe rub issue might be the diff but also could be a wheel bearing or brake issue

5. Jan 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so I'm going to start with the brakes then. I found a YouTube video and a somewhat helpful step-by-step (minus pics) on here, so hopefully it won't be too disastrous. Thanks!

6. Jan 27, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Beano before quiet after.

Seabass and zacharypaul89[OP] like this.
  7. Feb 1, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so Saturday I'm going to be jacking my truck up on my uncle's lift and replacing the seal in the rear axle and then changing out the rear diff. oil. My father-in-law thinks it's leaking gear oil due to the bad seal, so maybe the oil is causing the brake to act up. From everything I've read, rear drum brakes don't really wear like disk brakes do, so I just don't think it's that. We'll see

8. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:31 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    With those rear lift blocks, the u-bolts can loosen up. I would check the torque of all 8.
    You don't really need a torque wrench, just make sure they are all good and tight.

zacharypaul89[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I'll do that while I have it lifted. Thanks. I plan on replacing them with AALs eventually

10. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    Sterling_vH111

Sterling_vH111 Go do something real instead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    Secretly Long Travel & Supercharged
    I'd check wheel bearings and at least open up the drums to make sure nothing looks terribly wrong.

zacharypaul89[OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I'll add that to the list, too! Thanks.

12. Mar 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE: I got my tires balanced and rotated yesterday and the inside of my left-rear tire was covered in rear end dope. Upon further inspection, we determined that it was in fact the rear axle seal. Luckily, the rear end dope was not low, so there was no risk of burning anything up.

My next question is this: from everything I've read, this is a really easy job to do, but I have read some conflicting information regarding inner and outer seals.

Do the first gens just have 1 seal? From what I've gathered, the first gens only have one seal.

13. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:24 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE:

When I bought my '03 4wd last year, I knew it had some rear end issues. After my last tire rotation, I found out it was a busted axle seal on the rear driver's side. Ordered 2 axle seals for like $20 a few months ago and plan on installing them this weekend.

What is throwing me off is I saw the guy I bought the truck from last week and told him what the issue was and he said he had replaced axle seals a few times and they always bust. He said he had the whole axle rebuilt and tried other things, but the seals kept blowing (whether this is true or not, I dunno).

The only thing I can think of is that pressure us building up and the gear oil is looking for the path of least resistance to escape: the axle seal. If this is true, I'm thinking the diff breather may be clogged. I have all the parts to do a breather extension I ordered a few months ago, so my plan is to do that, put in the new seal, and change my gear oil.

Thoughts?

Also mods, could you change the title of this to 'Need Help From Folks w/ Rear Axle Knowledge!' @sean266 @tcBob @ForeRunner

Thanks in advance, everyone.

tcBob and T-Rex266 like this.
  14. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    Edited, but with this new software- users can edit their own titles too ;)

tcBob likes this.
  15. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Oh :anonymous:

tcBob likes this.
  16. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
  17. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:36 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    zacharypaul89[OP] and scottalot like this.
  18. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:38 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Whoops, looks like someone either beat me to the punch or caught it afterwards. Regardless. It's done for OP

zacharypaul89[OP] and scottalot like this.
  19. Jun 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    bump

scottalot likes this.
  20. Jun 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Do you have a temp gun ? You could point the red dot at the rear diff after you have driven the truck .
    Normal operating temp is approx 120 degrees .
    When you remove your axle seals , check the axles for grooves where the seals ride on the axle shaft . Its common for the axle seal to cut into the axle . Once the groove is made in the axle , it will not seal even with a new axle seal .
    Its a great idea to make sure the vent line is clear or the diff fluid will heat up and find the path of least resistance .

scottalot likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top