1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! SPEEDOMETER NOT WORKING

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Secord401, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Secord401

Secord401 [OP] Tacoma Pride!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Greenwood NS, CANADA EH!
    Vehicle:
    '06 Off-Road
    Tonneau cover, Box lights in cubbys, hi-lift jack installed in box, removed front mud flaps, custom garage door openers in cab, all LED cab lights, under the hood maint lights, LED gauge swap.
    Hey guys, this is my first post ever on Tacoma World. I've been a huge fan since I bought my 06.
    I recently did the gauge led swap, put her back in and noticed the all the gauges work correctly other than the speed-o??? It will some times work, I shut the engine off then when I turn the key again it stutters and begins to point downwards and then not work at all.
    For those who have done the led swap, have any of you come across this issue before?

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
  3. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    Secord401

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Greenwood NS, CANADA EH!
    Vehicle:
    '06 Off-Road
    Tonneau cover, Box lights in cubbys, hi-lift jack installed in box, removed front mud flaps, custom garage door openers in cab, all LED cab lights, under the hood maint lights, LED gauge swap.
    Any thoughts? Rusty

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Do the lights work? Or does the needle just not move? Does it stay at 0 or is it below zeros?

5. Jan 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    I have none bro I was just keeping an so I could jot it down.. I have a spiral note book of repairs and fixes that pertain to my truck for future use..Thank TW

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Mine had the same problem when I first bought it, very intermittent. Now it seems to have repaired itself. I have no idea for a fix.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Secord401

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Greenwood NS, CANADA EH!
    Vehicle:
    '06 Off-Road
    the lights all work, it was below the 0 then right at 0 now 30 mins ago it worked fine??? going to test it again in a few mins here.

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    It probley is not pressured right.

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Secord401

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Greenwood NS, CANADA EH!
    Vehicle:
    '06 Off-Road
    I cleaned off where I had soldered with some isoprop, reset the needles and it seems to be working thus far... Maybe it's like 707's truck and will fix itself...
    Thanks 4 the reply's guys.

10. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    YotaTaco

YotaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4WD Base Blue SR5 TRD OFF-ROAD! - SOLD, 2017 OR AC
    This worked for me. If you have this problem again, try removing the cluster glass only. Do not undo the plugs for the cluster. Do not remove the cluster bolts. The glass will be easy to remove. There are 8 tabs to push down and forward. 4 on the top, 4 on the bottom. Once the glass is removed, be very careful and rotate the needle counterclockwise and stop at 0. The needle will need to bend alittle going around the bottom part of the cluster to do this, hence the careful. Put the key in the ignition and turn the engine over and take it for a test drive. This should work. The needle should return to zero and not below. If this doesn't work then try option 2. Put the key in the ignition and turn to 'ON' but do not turn over. Rotate the needle counterclockwise and stop at 0. Turn the ignition off, pull the key out. Put the key back in and turn over and test drive. If this still doesn't work, then try a hard reset and unplug the longer cluster plug (left side) and leave unplugged for a few minutes and then plug back in and try option 1. If not, then do the same and try option 2.

I had this issue when I decided to change the glass only in my Taco. The glass was so scuffed up it was hard to see the cluster in the daytime. I took everything apart and when I plugged everything back in, the speedometer needle fell below zero and wouldn't recalibrate/reset. Turning it counterclockwise while in the on or off position should reset the speedo to 0.

Products Discussed in

To Top