1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Trying to decide on a Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06dak, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Mar 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    06dak

06dak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    OK, I'm a new member but have been investigating Tacos for a month or so...

I currently have a Dakota 4x4 that I like, but it's old and killing me on gas at 14mpgs. So I starting looking at cars (ugh), then trucks (Taco, Frontier, Ranger), and then have setteled in on a Taco. Gas mileage is important since I drive 20k a year, but also the Taco Access cab is the best "small" truck to fit kids occasionally in the back. Not to mention good resale! Anywhoo... on to why I'm posting...

Looking at Tacos and having about $17k +/- to spend, I've come up with the following choices, all 4cyl manuals:

- New Access cab 5lug with convenince pack (kinda low, lift is expensive)
    - New Pre-runner with no options (would have to add cruise, intermittent wipers, and power door locks - this is my current leaning)
    - Used Pre-runner SR5 (06~07 with 15~30k mi)

I'm looking for thoughts from those that have them. What would you do? Anyone who's bought a base wish they'd spend the extra dough on the power options? To anyone that added the extras, was it easy? To put power into a PreRunner is hella-expensive.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out... :help:

2. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Welcome to TacomaWorld.

My preference is the 5 lug access cab with the convience package. In my opinion there's not enough difference in the ride hight to matter in the long run if you're not going off road. I didn't want the power options when I was shopping but for the price I was offered I took them. Now that I've had them for a while I'm glad because the truck is wide enough that reaching across to unlock the door or open the window would be a pain in the butt.

Happy shopping!

3. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    I had an 06 Prerunner with nothing on it ie no power locks windows or fog lights, i had it for two months and wanted to get criuse control on it so i took it to the dealer to have them install it and THEY could not do it. And this was the reason i bought the truck because i did not want to spend more money on a package i just wanted CC, so after i found out they couldn't install it I said since they didnt come through on there side of the deal i didnt want the truck so they took it back, and i got and 07 Prerunner SR5 for the same price :cool: and i love it. For the time i had the 06 it was ok but you will miss the power controls and the CC especially if you drive alot. So i guess to answer your question i would go with the 07 prerunner with a few miles on it, but this is just my 2 cents on the matter. Hope it all works out and welcome to TW.:D

4. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I have to agree about the 07 Prerunner. One thing is for sure...........once you start looking at possible mods and keep coming to this site, you will spend more.

5. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Get the access cab PreRunner. The extra height is fun and you can still wheel.

I got my 2005 Access Cab PreRunner V6 with the TRD Off Road package and 28K miles for $17,200.

6. Mar 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    If you really want the extra height, and provided the used Pre-runner hasn't been abused, it would be my vote--Tacos'll run forever. My current truck is the first new one we've owned--the last two were used and never had a problem other than rust on the '88, but they've mostly fixed that issue now I think.

7. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Are you sure you don`t need a 4x4 anymore ? Since I`ve owned one I`ll never be without. I know it wasn`t in your list, but whats a slightly used 4x4 access cab 4cyl 5spd cost? I wouldn`t want you to buy a 2wd, then be dissapointed. Just food for thought.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    06dak

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Thanks for the replies so far. I like the idea of paying for a base and getting an SR5, but that may be hard! :)

I've had both 2wd and 4wd (3 2wd and 2 4wd), and yes I will miss it but I don't drive much off road or in snow so I won't miss it that much. I live in central Ohio, so there's not much to contend with. Unfortunately it's kind of a price/gas mileage concession in order to keep a truck.

I have been looking at the used, but the best PR Access I can find is $17 OTD, and that's at a Florida Toyota dealer - which scares me a bit to say the least.

Hasn't someone here added cruise and intermittent wipers? I remember reading that somewhere...

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:39 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Hasn't someone here added cruise and intermittent wipers? I remember reading that somewhere...[/quote]

I tried adding it but the dealership couldn't put it on my truck. But you might have better luck idk.

10. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I've ordered the intermittent wiper stalk. It's just over $100 shipped and is supposed to be a simple under 30 minute project. I'll try my hand at posting a guide when I install it. There is a walk thru on adding an OEM cruise control on TN but my truck has C/C so I don't know how complex that project would be.

11. Mar 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM
    willard417

willard417 Yeah

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    beaver county, PA
    Vehicle:
    06' access cab. 2.7L
    alpine head unit, removed secondary air filter, 18" XD Rockstars. 285/60/R18, 3" OME 884/AAL OME shocks all around.
    i'm selling my 06 2.7 4x4 cruise/pw/pl 5spd. i'll give it up for 18,000

12. Mar 7, 2008 at 5:43 AM
    06dak

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl

I'll be interested to see how easy that is. That is one of my 3 musts... cruise, keyless entry, and intermittent wipers!

13. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:38 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I tried adding it but the dealership couldn't put it on my truck. But you might have better luck idk.[/quote]

Check with "Bill in Ky" on this site. I believe he added the OEM cruise control.

14. Mar 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I would go with a reg cab 4x4 I-4, great little engine, good mileage, and still have the 4x4 for fun.

15. Mar 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    You can add CC and intermitten wipers yourself. Search here in the technical chat area. I know I've seen posts there about them.

Are you paying cash or financing? Interest rates are lower on new than used, and around here used with 15-30k on them were only a couple grand less than new, no miles. Then again, a newer Toyota Certified Used Vehicle has that 7yr/100,000 mile warranty which beats the new 5/60,000 (or whatever it is. I always hit mileage before time anyway) one.

PR is definitely better if you want to mod it later. Lift options, wheels, etc since there are more 6-lug options than 5-lug I believe.

With the PR you can also get a locker which would help if you off road or just need more traction. I'm not sure if it's standard or not, but if it isn't you could always add an ARB air locker later if you don't get one from the factory.

16. Mar 7, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    06dak

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
  18. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    hmmmm.... Yeah, I just noticed the lack of pictures... I hate that. they're changing things around on TN so maybe they got deleted.

It's doable though. Just need to search around some more and find people that have done it. Or PM the person that did the write up about the pics. Maybe they could be reposted.

19. Mar 8, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Just got rid of 05 Dakota, mainly same reason gas mileage, you where doing good at 14 I was at 12.
    My 07 taco 6cyl 6spd dc averages about 20 mpg.
    Very happy with the truck, and I know you wil be to.

20. Mar 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    The part arrived today. The install took barely 30 minutes included time spent taking pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top