1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help..? wiring the 3rd light on cap..?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sapper110, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Aug 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    sapper110

sapper110 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Eastern Canada
    Ok...I am very new to Tacoma and to top it off not much of an electrical guy. First the set up...I am running a 2011 Tacoma with the 2.7 l, 4 cyl engine. I just bought a second hand Leer cap. Now I want to wire the 3rd brake light thats in the back of the cap (above the door). Which wires do I need to tap from the brake light assembly..? The cap also has a white cargo light in it. I would also like to tap a wire to power that as well but my my main concern is the 3rd brake light for now.

Anyone help..?

Thanks

2. Aug 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    sapper110

Member:
    Eastern Canada
    I would post a picture of the three wires running into the brake light on the tail light assembly, but I havent figured out how to do that yet.

Anyway the 3 wires are colored green, green with red stripe and white with black stripe. which ones do I cut and which one goes to the red and black of the 3rd brake light.?

3. Aug 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    White with black stripe is ground. That gets connected to the black shell wire.

Not sure on the other two. I THINK the green with red stripe is your brake light wire that connects to the red wire on the shell. Worst that could happen is you hookup to the tail lights and have to splice the wire back together.

I used a fuse tap inside the cab and ran a new wire for the cargo light.

4. Aug 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    sapper110

Member:
    Eastern Canada
    Thanks Joes06Tacoma.... Yes the truck green/red = cap red. I did a temp splice at first to give it a try and it worked. After that I did a more permanent splice with a couple of butt connector, heat shrink over that for water / moisture prevention and then re-wrapped it back into therubber sleeve that orginally covered the tail light wiring harness . I actually spliced in a Reese 2 prong trailer connector so that way when it is time to take the cap off I can simply unplug it without cutting or re-splicing wires.

Thanks again Joes06Tacoma...

Products Discussed in

To Top