1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with base frequency settings

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bendbolden, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden [OP] Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I am running the Alpine cd3-103bt HU to a kicker 2 channel powering kicker components. My question is on the frequency settings on the HU. I can select the base frequency for the boost as well as a narrow or wide setting. I'm not sure what this setting means. I know it will ultimately be up to my ears to tweak it but I have read that I shouldn't have to stray too far from the base settings (0 db) on either. I also have the bass boost on the amp off. Any advice?

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bass boost bumps up 60hz. Frequiencies higher and lower get less of a bump. Think of it as a boosted EQ setting centered on 60hz. I find that rather useless and counter productive. If I had to guess your headunit allows the specific frequency to be determined by you and whether its a steep or mild roll off as frequencies get further from your boost frequency.

3. Jan 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    IRDCTACO

IRDCTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    07 IR DC
    Your HU has a parametric equalizer. Do you know what a bell curve is or what one looks like? If not, google bell curve and look under images. Your HU allows you to pick a specific frequency and either boost or cut the volume at that frequency. Doing so though will affect the frequencies above and below the frequency you selected. Going back to the bell curve, a narrow setting (a skinny bell curve) would affect the octaves below and above your desired frequency less. A wide setting (think really fat bell curve) would also raise or lower the frequencies adjacent to the one you selected to a greater extent.

For example, say you wanted to boost the 60hz frequency and chose the narrow setting. You’d not only be boosting 60hz but because of the curve you’d also be boosting (to a lesser extent) 50hz and 70 hz. Choosing the wide option would have a greater affect on 50 and 70 plus 40 and 80hz.

Just to let you know for your general knowledge, most pros use eqs to cut frequency peaks rather than boost frequencies. In the end though, it’s your system, listen as you please.

4. Jan 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Dead on. Good advice.

5. Jan 31, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden [OP] Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Thanks that pretty much told me what I wanted to know!

Products Discussed in

To Top