1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with bleeding brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.

Probably just some stubborn air bubbles in there. It's going to be a little sketchy with my brake situation but atleast three tacos are going on a sweet trail ride through the hemet, Ca area. I guess there is an awesome trail that takes about an hour. I'll try to get some pics.

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    May have air in the abs pump, some cars you can bleed with a scanner to rid that problem. of hammer the brakes on gravel and then re bleed after the abs hits.
    spongy= air, keep bleeding try bleeding with the truck running.

3. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    TunnelDV

TunnelDV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 4Dr Tacoma White
    "Hey those are pretty cool. But I don't think they will solve my issue. I pumped a lot of fluid through my lines last night using the old fashioned; two person method, and nothing changed. It would seem to me that the air would rise through the lines and not want to come down to the bleeder. Is there a way to bleed air from some other location?"

With the traditional method of bleeding, the air can have enough time to rise as you pump, hold, bleed, close, pump, etc. With the Speedbleeders, you can pump like mad and the fluid moves fast enough that the air can't rise in a line fast enough. Just have someone with a bottle of fluid at the reservoir topping it off as you go.

Derek V

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I see your point. Maybe I should invest in some speed bleeders. It's annoying not being able to bleed brakes by yourself. I hate to trouble my friends to help bleed brake lines for an hour.

5. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

Oh wow, that sounds like a good possibility. My brake pedal becomes spongy only after I start the truck. My friend and I were both wondering if there's a pump that the air is getting stuck in. Maybe this abs pump you speak of is where the air is trapped. So you think I should force the abs system to activate and than bleed immediately after that? I'll give it a shot.

6. Aug 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    northwesternpat

northwesternpat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    DuPont, Wa
    None - Alpine deck and amps with blown speakers. :)
  7. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    What and where is this LCV?
    Any chance of a picture?

8. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    northwesternpat

northwesternpat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    DuPont, Wa
    None - Alpine deck and amps with blown speakers. :)
    Actually I think it's referred to as LSPV now that I recall. I had some emails discussing it. This was about a year ago. However this discussion here shows it.

Attached Files:

9. Jan 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
  10. Nov 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
  11. Nov 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    For what it's worth, my problem ended up being related to the rear drum brake auto adjusters not doing their job. Upon tightening up the rear brakes to spec, my brake pedal returned to normal operation. Every so often or if I do some seriously fast wheeling, I have to make a slight adjustment to the rear drums. Must be some sort of defect but it hasn't annoyed me enough yet to completely disassemble the drum.

Products Discussed in

To Top