1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With Buying Process!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mattygabe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    So, if any of you happened to read my thread in the "New Members" section, you'll know that I'm not a Taco owner - yet.

Thanks to a lot of the information on here, I think I've narrowed my choices down to a few years, and some particular styles, and whatnot. There are a few options that I'm not sure how to go about.

What I've decided on: recent year (2009 earliest) Taco, preferably a new '11 model. I'm flexible here, but am looking for low mileage (if its an 09 i'd like less than 10k per year) truck.

As far as a cab, I'm 95% sure I'd like an access cab. I don't have a need for a double cab (wife has a four-door that'll accomodate kids in the future), and if there's a good enough deal I'd settle for a regular cab. But i'm pretty sold on the access.

For the options and packages, I've also decided that the convenience package or the SR5 package would be all I need (cruise and keyless entry are my two big features i'm looking for - but the steering wheel audio controls would be sweet).

Also 95% sure I'd prefer the 4-cylinder over the V6.

I've also decided that 4x4 probably won't present itself, so as long as it has some sort of LSD (11's have the auto LSD) that should more than meet my needs.

So, the parts that I'm not really sure about are: I have two other specific wants for this truck, one is a tow hitch (I own a 2-person flat-bottom jonboat, aluminum, light enough for both occupants to carry into water), and the other is a soft tonneau cover (would like to keep things relatively dry).

For the hitch, I know that aftermarket hitches are relatively inexpensive, I saw the Hidden Hitch is $149 and you install yourself with included hardware. I saw that the Toyota tow package is about $500 - WOW! What's the best course of action here if I'm at the dealership? I'm assuming 9 out of 10 of the Tacos I see won't have any tow package or hitch installed when I see them on the lot. Do I insist they install one? What type of price should I look for them to charge? Or is aftermarket best? (I'm handy on my own, don't mind installing it as long as it's not too involved)

Second, I don't think the tonneau cover will ever be pre-installed, and I don't think it's something I can insist the dealer install, but maybe? I'll go ahead and assume I'll have to go aftermarket here and install myself, but your advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking soft, roll-up tonneau cover or a tonneau cover I can take off and store in the bed or cab when it's not on.

Any and all advice, please. Thanks!

2. Jan 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Fishing Frenzy

Fishing Frenzy JJ

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Bay Area (CA)
    Vehicle:
    Future 2013
    Only the future will tell
    What are you planning to do with the truck?

3. Jan 31, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I went to an auto broker (my job had one, free of charge).

I gave him all of the details I wanted in the truck, including color. He found it within 2 weeks and delivered it to my house with all the paper work filled out and ready for me to sign. Not to mention paying only $200 over INVOICE price.

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:29 AM
    mattygabe

mattygabe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Daily driver, some light towing of the aforementioned jon boat, and use of a 6-foot bed to do light hauling of whatever I can fit in there occasionally.

I see you're from CA... Interesting. I've never heard of a broker before, and read a couple articles on them. Anyone from around my area (Western PA) familiar with the use of these?

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Welcome aboard! I recommend the factory installed tow package because it includes a heavy duty trans cooler- this will save your trans in the long run, assuming you go automatic. As far as a roll up cover, I highly recommend the Access covers (look up Luke of truck Alterations for best price). As long as it isn't low profile, you retain the full use of the bed rail system and cleats.

Products Discussed in

To Top