1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With Electrical Layout

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by erok81, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Nov 25, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    erok81

erok81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I am preparing to move my battery to the bed along with all of the other random electrical components I had in the engine bay previously. The switch pro, fuse block, compressor, usb outlet thing, have all been installed over the last few years so that setup works fine. But moving it all into the bed and incorporating breakers and switches I’m not 100% sure if this is the right order.

Also the main breaker I am not sure on. This will really only have the stock engine stuff (battery, alternator, etc) but also a winch.

Here’s what I am thinking. Please excuse the crude pencil work. Could be in a better layout? But I hope this makes sense enough to provide and suggestions. If not I can redraw it a bit more clear.

D83C4CA5-22ED-442C-A4FE-789CD6F98291.jpg

2. Dec 1, 2022 at 11:56 PM
    lacab100

lacab100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR DCSB MT
    Do you plan to relocate the main/engine battery, or a "house" battery?

If you mean the main battery...why?

3. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:33 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Blue Seas fuse blocks are limited to 30-35A per circuit so the compressor should have a dedicated 60A fuse or breaker. Both positive and negative buss bars should be rated for all the current you might use, typical ones are 100A max so something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Blo...fix=400a+terminal+block,industrial,136&sr=1-8
    Run the main switch to that and feed your main breakers from it.

4. Dec 2, 2022 at 1:12 AM
    erok81

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Pretty much removing my wheel wells. So there isn’t much left to mount my battery too. Plus that area isn’t really designed for heavy off road use and a battery.

Yeah I think I had that part wrong. My current setup is the switch pro turns on the compressor but it’s wired right to the battery for the main power. Not the fuse block.

My main confusion is the battery lead and a breaker/fuse. It seems like 50/50 people either don’t fuse the cable from the battery to the starter (which seems insane) or they use varying fuses/breakers from 200-500A. The winch throws the extra variable. Otherwise I could use any of the other relocation threads on the internet. Which again half don’t even fuse it.

Right now I think I’m fusing it with a 400A fuse. But that can change since I’m only in the planning stage.

lacab100[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Whatever size fuse or breaker you choose the critical thing is for it to be appropriate to the wire or cable size. You want the breaker to trip before a wire fails. Battery cables are typically short so changing to a longer set makes this even more important and should include an upgrade in cable size. It’s less expensive but I’d avoid CCA cables(copper coated aluminum) which carry less current for a given cable size. It may be that start up surge is so high it makes fusing that wire impractical so they keep it as short as possible as a compromise but that’s just a WAG.

erok81[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2022 at 11:58 PM
    erok81

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Funny you mentioned CCA cables. I had those in my cart ready to order but after some reading, while they probably would have worked, I ended up paying about 2-3x more and got pure copper. :D

Also as luck would have it all of my fuses/breakers are rated for almost the exact wire rating. I had originally did it for my accessories but turns out it works for the cables as well.

bagleboy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 23, 2022 at 10:21 PM
    erok81

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I still have a few wires to run, but if you were ever wondering where this was going…F3141471-F1DE-44C0-B37B-8300804314DF.jpg

bagleboy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 23, 2022 at 11:23 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Sweet!

Products Discussed in

To Top