1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with replacing brakes (I dont know much)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DLR07, May 1, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    DLR07

DLR07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Tampa
    pretty much stock, very minor upgrades plus tires
    Hey Guys Im about to hit 65,000 miles on my 2007 prerunner. Im pretty sure that I dont want to take it to the stealship to have them done. This is my first car that Ive owned, Im right out of college. I want to have some more stopping power. I dont know what are good brands for brakes. Are the pads the most important and what should I look for in pads. I was thinking about taking your guys advice then going to a friend of the fam and having him doing the install. What do you guys think and how do you think I should go about it. I know I dont know anything about it so all the advice will help me thank you guys.

2. May 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, and SS brake lines. I've used that combo in the past on other vehicles and I will be switching to that for my truck eventually. I understand SP Performance rotors, sold at the site below, are also pretty good.

www.raceshopper.com

3. May 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Which Hawk pads do you suggest? I've had troubles in the past with lots of dusting, noisy and quick wearing pads and want to avoid a repeat of that if I can.

Also: do you do much (if any) off road excursions? I read that dirt/mud can build up in the slots of slotted rotors and lead to rapid wear of pads. Have you had any such problems if you do?

4. May 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    OEM pads and rotors are excellent quality, you would probably benefit from new pads and a flush more than aftermarket parts. As well, I don't think that you should be working on the most important critical safety component on your truck if you are not mechanically able. If you want more stopping power, tires are the limiting factor in braking on these trucks. As for slotted rotors, those are good for a street truck, but again, unless you are driving your truck like a sports car, fade should not be an issue.
    Changing away from stock parts does affect brake porportioning, VSC effectiveness, and ABS operation.

5. May 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.

Agreed, unless you have a friend who has done it before and can guide you in the right direction I'd let a trusted shop handle it. There's too much at risk if something gets messed up and it's not too expensive to have a shop do it anyway.

6. May 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Agreed

7. May 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    DLR07

DLR07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Tampa
    pretty much stock, very minor upgrades plus tires
    Thanks guys for the help, Im definitely not doing the work my self. I just wanted a little advice. Anyone know how much I can look to spend of brake pads

8. May 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    around 60 bucks for a premium set of pads

9. May 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    x2

Stick with Toyota parts.

Do not buy the Autozone or Checker/Shucks store brand brake pads. They do not last at all. I know you didn't say you were going to use them, I just know that I did on my 89 4runner and they only lasted for 12 months 15,000mi. That is my suggestion.

10. May 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    If you don't have at least some mechanical experience, learning by working on brakes probably isn't the best idea. I know whereof I speak on this matter. If you want to learn, best is to talk the mechanic into letting you watch, maybe point stuff out and answer questions, offer him something extra because you will be in his way.

Products Discussed in

To Top