1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with White Night Backup Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nick54, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I purchased the White Night Backup light unit #4196 and the trailer wiring adapter unit # 4149. If I have this correct the center pin of the trailer socket is the backup light pin. With the 4149 adapter connected and its 3 wire plug connected to the White Night light and the truck running and in reverse the light does not come on. Should this pin power up when the truck is in reverse and is there a dedicated fuse or relay I should check?

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm

2. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    The light has a 3 position switch located on the back side, in position 1 the lights come on independant of any other conditions. Position 2 lights are always off, position 3 the lights should function when the vehicle is placed in reverse. The lights do in fact come on when the switch is in position 1 so I know the bulbs are good. I wiil be wringing out the center pin of the trailer connector tonight after work.

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well the center pin of the trailer connector located under the bumper is dead. I check the #8 fuse BKUP LP 10A behind dash and #3 Towing Tail 30A - #7 Towing Brk 30A and #9 Towing 30A in the enging compartment, all appeared to be good. Anyone have any idea which fuse or relay activates the center pin?

4. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    pcool69

pcool69 Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 F150 SuperCrew Lariat
    My 2010 had the same problem. Dealer found it was missing the back up light relay from the factory. Part number 90080-87026.

I think the relay is located under the dash.

5. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    pcool69

pcool69 Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 F150 SuperCrew Lariat
    Unfortunately, I do not know exactly where the relay is located. The dealership took 3 hours to fix the problem (while I waited). By the time they were finished, I was mad and running late for another appointment.

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I checked the IG1 fuse with the multi-meter set to ohms and I got continuity so the fuse seems to be ok.

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    It seems that all the protection/relays are in place and functioning correctly. The schematic Caribe posted is very helpful but can someone give some insight to the area I marked in red, this seems to be where the input to the center pin comes from.
    TrailerTowOEM2-2_5bab6ee5e3d8cfc79dc240ac5b4c0405e9580201.jpg

9. Sep 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The last post in this thread was April and I finally got around to getting this worked out. Come to find out after I eliminated every fuse and relay I could get my hands on, and wringing out wire runs that pcool69 had the answer. Brought it to the dealer and they found a relay missing behind the glove box. They installed it and vuala, reverse light power at center pin of tow socket.

Products Discussed in

To Top