1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 04trd4x4AL, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    04trd4x4AL

04trd4x4AL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    New Market AL
    Vehicle:
    04trdDBLcab4x4
    Tint , Deck Plate, debadged, Bil 5100's set @ 2.5 up front, Bil 5100 in the rear and AAL. Diff drop. B.A.M.F brake proportioning bracket.
    Ok since getting married and being on a budget and all. My wife wants me to start doing the manly stuff related to cars and trucks. I have never serviced my vehicles just my 4wheeler and lawn mowers. So here is my question, I am wanting to go to synthetic oil, what brand do ya'll suggest. Also I am gonna do brake pads. Any other suggestions on those would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

2. Nov 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Mobile 1 FTW!

3. Nov 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    oh god not another synthetic oil question....

Its all opinion really, personally I've used mobile 1 and the Pennzoil platinum. Compared to regular oil, they are both worth their weight in gold. Any synthetic is good really.

Don't cheap out on brake pads though. Get a good medium priced brand name kind if your looking to save some cash. but the super cheap ones eat through the pads and you lose money in the long run. Plus shitty stopping power.

4. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 V6, manual, 201k
    Small lift and a topper!
    Don't worry much about oil brands - just get any reasonable synthetic at a good price, and make sure the weight is correct. You can go deeper into the oil rabbit hole if you want - but I wouldn't recommend it, no good can come of it.

As to working on your truck, get a good manual - the Chilton's is all right. You can also download the factory service manual here, they have one for your exact truck: Read a lot, make sure you have good tools (cheaping out on the tools is the fastest way to become frustrated or mess up while working on a car), take pictures as you go, and don't be afraid to ask for help. I taught myself how to work on cars, coming from a family that didn't do much of that, and after a few years I'm now comfortable doing darn near anything to my vehicles!

-Sam

5. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    04trd4x4AL

04trd4x4AL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    New Market AL
    Vehicle:
    04trdDBLcab4x4
    Tint , Deck Plate, debadged, Bil 5100's set @ 2.5 up front, Bil 5100 in the rear and AAL. Diff drop. B.A.M.F brake proportioning bracket.
    thanks guys. One quick question, when switching over to syn should I do a syn blend first. Im really not sure what pre-owner was using.

6. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    No. You can switch to your fav. synthetic at any time.

7. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Advice is worth what you paid for it....

When you change the oil, remember to change the filter. You need a special wrench for that.

There's a gasket on the oil drain plug that's replacable. Some folks re-use it but if it's not in good condition or chipped or scratched, it'll leak there.

Be careful when re-threading the drain plug back into the pan. If you strip those thread, it'll leak and you'll hate your life and divorce your newlywed wife before the honeymoon is even over.

Find the "how to change your oil" sticky here on this site. It'll show you how to route a plastic tube so you don't spill oil all over yourself when changing the filter.

It's illegal to dump used motor oil, collect it in a plastic jug and return it to the auto supply that sold you the new oil.

EDIT: I don't know why you would do this, but sometimes people do funny things. At any rate: do NOT start the engine while there is no oil in it!

8. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Don't laugh - no I have not done this, but there are several that have... when pulling the drain plug, make sure you are pulling the OIL drain and not the tranny drain plug.

9. Nov 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    x2...about starting another 'what's best oil thread'... but whatever you do select one that's widely available and you won't be frustrated when on the road and you can do your oil change on nice weekend afternoon at your convenience. There are lots of exotic boutique oils people just love and are, I'm sure, just fine but you won't find them easily.

Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum or especially Ultra are terrific synthetics that equal or exceed the exotic boutiques and are widely available at lots of chain auto stores and WalMarts.

Oh, and one other thing: synthetic oil offers you nothing if you aren't going to extend drain intervals. If you're sticking with 5K, then also stick with a quality petroleum oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top