1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Helper leaf springs... Anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Warren Thompson, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson [OP] GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    I ordered up Superior Helper Leaf Springs with 1500 lb load rating ($30 a pair...) for my '06 DC TRD sport. I figured I could put these on for load/stability and have the option of taking them off. I researched them and most people like them. I can not find anyone on the TW forums that has any comment on these instead of the AAL option.

Does anyone have these or any comment on these? I would like to hear more from Tacoma owners on these. Thanks.

2. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    They seem like a viable option, but may I suggest getting timbrens? They are a bit more expensive, but there is no need to put them on and remove them constantly. They work very well with no real ride difference. :)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

3. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    Warren Thompson

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Ryan. I already ordered the springs online. I did look at the Timbren site and wish I had considered these prior. I probably not take them off once installed. It all depends on the stiffness of the ride. I mean, if the truck ass-end looses traction on a washboarded road, they come off. But I do need more weight stability. We will see.

Does anyone have experience with the helper springs??

4. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
  5. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    Warren Thompson

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Shoot... Of all the TW searches I did, that never came up, or at least I missed it. That is a great DIY. I am about 45 bucks in the hole with the helper springs I bought, but, no biggie.

That was a great thread and I realize I have options. I will see what the helpers do and dont do. Thanks again Ryan for the link. Great link.

6. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    I just picked up a set from Advanced Auto parts for around $27 and installed them this afternoon. I jacked the rear up with a bottle jack at the rear hitch about 2 inches. Installed the spring in about 20 mintues. Dropped the bottle jack and the truck settled after only 1/2 an inch! Took it for a drive down my really bumpy road and found that it road smoother! the rear doesn't move much the front does most of the moving but it's fine. I dropped the tailgate and sat on it and the bed went down about an inch and stopped. thats a mark improvement over what it was doing.
    BTW I have a 2004 prerunner reg cab with stock leafs. I'll let you know tomorrow after driving it to work how it feels.

Products Discussed in

To Top