1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hesitation - fuel pump?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DrPie, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    DrPie

DrPie [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD
    2002 Prerunner 2.7, 225,000 miles. Truck cranks up and runs OK for the most part, but is starting to hesitate and sputter. I can make it up hills, floor it, etc. for 2-3 miles after a cold start, but then she starts to go. Hasn't stalled, but it started happening enough that I stopped driving it.

Hasn't thrown a code. Changed the sparkplugs about 3 months ago. Changed the fuel filter yesterday (the part was cheap but the amount of beer needed to get through the install cost a ton, damn that bracket). Didn't help.

Should I go after the fuel pump next? If so, I'm thinking about pulling off the bed. Is this easy to do? Anything tricky? Any specific instruction anyone could give me on removing the bed?

thanks

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    hahhaha, yeah, that fuel filter is a bitch...

I just changed the pump in mine, I saw pull the bed. its 6 bolts, pull the tail lights out and drop the tail light wiring down. and the 4 lil bolts that hold the trim onto the filler neck. Sit the bed on saw horses behind the truck.

you may hit some issues on removing the pump/sending unit assembly. I got 4 bolts out, but they were not reusable. I ended up having 3 or 4 bolts snap off, so I used some black RTV silicone and self tapping sheet metal screws to hold it back down. I had to pre-drill the holes due to the screw not wanting to go through the tank.

Also... I have another brand new fuel pump. Its just the pump, you would need to get your own strainer/sock filter for the bottom of the pump, ($20 advance auto). You really don't need to change your wiring or other stuff unless its burned up and melted, and i can't see that being hte case since your truck still runs.

My extra fuel pump is a NAPA pump, still sealed in he plastic bag. $60 shipped. PM me if you want it. I talk PayPal.

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    DrPie

DrPie [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD
    Thanks for the advice.

I pulled off the bed and replaced the fuel pump today without any issues. Truck seems to be running fine, however it sounds like the fuel pump (Airtex) is making a constant noise, kinda like a whirring hum. This sound was definitely not there before.

Is this normal? Could it just be that this fuel pump is that much louder?

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    your pump should have a whining noise when its running.

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    sounds like a normal fuel pump noise. maybe the old one was slowly failing?

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    before you go through the fuel pump, check your MAF sensor... if its getting build up, it will start to sputter then at some point it can even stall the motor out and cut out while you are driving...

my 01 has 220,000 miles and when i had the hesitation, i dropped money on parts i didnt need to replace and it turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor... the truck never threw a code either... cost me 6 bux for the MAF sensor cleaning spray and has been running strong ever since...

i clean it now twice a year to be safe

Products Discussed in

To Top