1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hey from AK

Discussion in 'New Members' started by AK Backcountry, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jan 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    Just want to say thanks. After 20 years of F-150's I finally wised up and decided to get a Tacoma. Did a lot of research and found this site. It was a great help making my choice. I appreciate all of the advice on the forum. Only problem is can't find a low mileage late model Tacoma up here in the Frozen North for love or money. Walked into the dealer last week and ordered a 08 TRD Off-Road Access Cab. Bad part I have to wait 3 months for it to come in. Good part is snow maybe gone by then and it will be time to go camping.:D

Thanks Again

2. Jan 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome and congrats on the new rig, I know you will love it. I have heard that in some areas they are hard to come by, but after 20 yrs with the blue oval, what was it that made you switch ?

3. Jan 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw!! good decision going from ford to toyota......i did the same thing!! by the way.......i have family in lake village, west memphis and blytheville!! good crappie and catfishing up at big lake!!!

4. Jan 29, 2008 at 5:04 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Congratulations on the fine truck. I am sure you will love it...

5. Jan 29, 2008 at 9:40 PM
    AK Backcountry

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    Thanks for the replys.

First off; AK is Alaska, not Arkansas. No worries we get that all the time when ordering stuff from the "Lower 48". Next question we get is that part of the US.

Why no more Blue ovals? Almost switched in 06 but got a new F150 and was disappointed in the quality, dealer service and ruggedness from the start. A buddy had a 05 Taco which I borrowed several times and fell in love with. Lease was up so Ford is Gone!:) Still have an 97 F150 my son drives which is a great truck, 135K and still going strong.

Looking forward to the truck arriving.

6. Jan 30, 2008 at 3:52 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    oops...(me thinking you were in arkansas:eek:):sorry:!!

7. Jan 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Yeah I got that for all domestics, owned them all, and it was always something, but the thing that really killed them for me was the attitude I was getting from the dealers/Detroit : Yeah, well the next one you buy from us should have that taken care of. my response : Yeah, bite me !

8. Jan 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    AK Backcountry

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Hey Jedi

Noticed that you have an 06 and it sounds like you run different tires in the winter. I will be doing the same. What do you do about the TPMS? Let the light burn or do you have the sensor in the winter rims? TPMS was on the 06's right?

AK

9. Jan 31, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I just let the light burn, I could get them in both sets of rims (5, including spare; $114 a piece) but have to have them reprogramed every time you swap out at $59.99, I'm used to it now. :(

10. Jan 31, 2008 at 10:59 PM
    AK Backcountry

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Even though the truck won't be here until the end of March, we will still have 6 more weeks of winter conditions and it is worse with the spring melt and freeze up at night. So, went out and got a set of Hankook studded snow tires mounted on rims. I run winter tires at least 6 to 7 months of the year so figured I best to go get them.

Asked about the TPMS? I guess I'll let the light burn.:(

Here a pic.

IMG_1230.jpg

11. Feb 2, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Nice to meet you Backcountry.You're gonna love that new truck.:)

12. Feb 2, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    AK Backcountry

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the Welcome. My wife is from ME and we took a vacation to PEI (before the bridge) years ago. Spent a night in St. John on the way.

13. Feb 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Smart work on the tires, the factory tires aren't too good in snow and ice, either the Dunlops or the BFG's, they will be O.K in the dry months, I am running my BFG's the the cords and then a full set of Coopers for winter and summer.

14. Feb 2, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    AK Backcountry

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    I run coopers on my wifes car and have worn out a set on the 97 F-150. Winter almost gets more use up here. The Coopers are a "Great Tire". The guy at the tire place (been going there for years and know him) said try these Hankooks, I won't be dissapointed. He runs them. They look like a good tread for packed snow and ice.

15. Feb 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.

Right on!...Hope we used you good.Come back anytime.:)

16. Feb 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    They look like they will serve you well, my winter so far has been mild, as a matter of fact the past few winters have been, not complaining.

Products Discussed in

To Top