1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Flicker

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by thebigsmit, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
    Mine does that as well. Kind of annoying, but I've learned to live with it!

2. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's not an issue of quality, it's an issue of TRS offering a proper retrofit, and TRS is one of the few companies that does.

Most of the kits out there, including everything on eBay, are H4 plug-in replacements that are dangerous to other drivers. That's where the ragging on other vendors comes from. FWIW, TRS also sells the plug-in systems, and I really wish they wouldn't, but they are in business to make money, and there's a market for it, and I'm not their CEO, so they will continue to sell them, and I'll continue to drive with a rag hanging over my mirror.

If other companies offer proper retrofits, more power to them.
    IMHO, all of the electronics are Chinese base quality production unless you get a retro that uses an OEM ballast.

3. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    This. It's what I concluded aswell and if all the wiring is spot on then the issues point to the ballast. OEM kits for some vehicles range up into thousands of dollars. Were talking about a 300 dollar kit here. Point is, it didn't come standard with the truck, it's aftermarket and we all know that aftermarket is never perfect.

4. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    On this "candle flame" issue, I'm thinking it's the Morimoto burner.
    I'm running the upgraded Philips 4300k burner, but the same ballast as everyone else.

5. Mar 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    Could be worth a shot to see if it fixes the problem, even if it doesn't those are a little brighter aren't they?

6. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Boiling denim and bangin whores

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Here
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, Volant cold air intake with ram air scoop.
    Definitely get in touch with TRS. Have them send you new bulb's and ballasts, should be covered under their 4 year warranty.

I have a Morimoto mini H1 setup with their XB35 bulbs and 3Five ballasts - zero problems.

Good luck.

7. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya, when I get some things ironed out and things get settled.

Right now I've got too many damned projects going and none are getting done. It took me 3 months to get to installing the retros (the new Depo housings sat in the garage COMPLETED that long), I never have installed the power door locks that I bought almost a year ago.

8. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    Do you use a relay harness that draws power directly from the battery?

9. Mar 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    thebigsmit

thebigsmit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    3 inch Toytec lift, Westin E series bull bar, HID/Halo retrofit, sway bar disconnect
    Yea

10. Mar 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    Following up... understand that the lights work, and do the job... you would never know it 'candle flickered' unless you drove up to a wall or in your garage and stared at the wall to see the movement. It doesn't get darker it just 'moves' within the lighted pattern.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    thebigsmit

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    3 inch Toytec lift, Westin E series bull bar, HID/Halo retrofit, sway bar disconnect
    I have another question. I also ordered halos and installed them. I was so eager to get them working I never read the directions and just kinda guessed how to wire them. Long story short, I didnt use a relay and wired them directly to my dtrl. Now, they wont turn on and Ive determined that its the little black cylinder voltage regulators that came with the halos. I assume that because I didnt use a relay (my bad). Will TRS replace the little black voltage things or can I buy them locally?

12. Mar 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    battlescars

battlescars Professionull

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug
    Coilovers, bypasses & bumps on all 4-corners. +6 over front suspension, 4-link rear
    Well as many who don't like DDM Tuning ballasts or any other product from them, I am a firm believer in their products for the price. I have had 0 issues with any of their products and will continue to buy parts from them.

As far as the flicker goes, does it stop when the brights are on or is it constant?

13. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    If you wired CCFL halos directly to the DRL, the flashing from the turn signal blew them.

14. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Have you dealt with their customer service?

I used DDM products in a number of vehicles, and other than one ballast, I had no quality problems that couldn't be traced to bad grounding.
    And I apologize to the other people on the road that had to deal with my splattering headlights.

Anyways, in 2009, they actually yanked their phone number. Posted on the web site they did it so their reps could take care of customers in the order problems were reported.
    Toward the end of 2010, they announced that they were no longer selling retrofit systems as of March 2011... March 2011 came and went and they didn't stop selling them, so I'm assuming there was a management change, or perhaps things went better for them after they relocated to Huntington Beach from San Diego.

I had a ballast replaced during the time their phones were "off" and it was a major hassle.
    OP reported it's on both, which would be expected since burner power is not switched.

15. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    It doesn't start until they are warmed up, and continues as long as I had them on in my garage.

16. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    My passenger side did the same thing except it only lasted about 15 mins. I spoke with andrew regarding this and he stated "they've been having numerous prob's with the quality of the latest batch of V. Regs". They sent me new ones the same day....no questions asked. I don't know if the CCFL halos have the voltage reg. but I'm assuming that you have the LED ones..... Either way, give them a call... Great customer service in my book.

Oh and I too have the flikr described....It's identical...like a candle waving in a very slight breeze. I can see it while driving though and it's pretty annoying.

17. Mar 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    thebigsmit

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    They are led halos and they dont flash with turn signal anyway

18. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    LED should not have been a problem even flashing.

And I'm not sure where this "relay harness required for halos" came from... Andrew said that it was not required for warranty, so if they have failed, you're in good shape.

19. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    thebigsmit

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    So would you recommend wiring with the relay or just splice them back in like they were before?

20. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Backinblack03

Backinblack03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtra cab 4x4 2.7/5spd
    ABS? What ABS?
    The candle effect is the arc flickering in the HID envelope. It may go away after a good long burn time as the electrodes wear a little, or if it doesn't probably time to replace them. I've seen this in a few of the really cheap HID burners in the past when retrofitting rechargeable spotlights. Easy to spot there. Sometimes hard to spot on the car with the engine running...

To Top