1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High header rail

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Wsp100, May 4, 2021.

1. May 4, 2021 at 10:43 PM
    Wsp100

Wsp100 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR5
    Just got a new Tacoma. I am attempting to install a Leer HR350M tonneau cover. However, the bed’s header rail sits about 1/4” higher than the side rails. This leaves an unacceptable gap at the front section of the cover.

Anyone come across any after market product that address this? (I’m hoping there is a shorter rail out there.) It’s a sharp looking cover, so I’d like to make it work. Filling the gap with a filler is not an option.

2. May 5, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    NoVa TRD Sport

NoVa TRD Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Sport
    Leer cap
    The front and side rails (caps) should be flush (at least mine are).

I suggest taking the front rail off (it's held on by 5 Torx bolts) and seeing if there is anything underneath, such as a weatherstrip, making it sit higher. Remove that, substitute a bead of silicone sealant, and reinstall the rail.

3. May 5, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    rizrox

rizrox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR AC 4x4 AT
    FULL BUILD BELOW (hover cursor here) ----------------------- BUILD UPON DELIVERY (all OEM) Premium OR Package Technology Package LED Headlights and Fog Lights All Weather Floor Liners Door Sill Protectors 5" Oval Tube Steps Black Exhaust Tip Black Mud Guards Remote Tailgate Lock Tailgate Insert Black Bed Mat Bed Lighting Kit Glass Breakage Sensor ——————————————————————— MODS AND ADDITIONS JDMCAR Glove Box Organizer JDMCAR Center Console Divider & Tray SaBellCo Tailgate Lock OEM Spare Tire Lock Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners OEM 4x4 Badge OEM Blackout Badge Overlays OEM Bed Header 3rd Accessory Rail Cubby Covers by Mike Williams OEM Bed Header Rail End Caps Sealed Weatherproofed Bed Rail Caps A/C Drain Hose Mod Bedside Outlet Pigtail Extension Cord DECKED Truck Bed Storage System w/Locks Snugtop Sport Hi-Liner Camper Shell (debadged) Cord Management BottlePro Cup Holder Adapter BCP 4” Full Folding Mattress ESI Rok Block and Ultimate Tailgate Seal Glow-in-the-Dark Camper Bed Indicators CBoy808 Gloss Black OEM Style TRD OR Bedside Decals YakGear Tailgate Lift Straps OEM Pro Grille & Garnish Yakima SkyLine Shell Roof Rack Cab Floor Dewalt T-Stak Storage Boxes and Carpet Covering Paracord Gear Lines and Carabiners on Camper Shell Ceiling CA Heritage Black & Yellow License Plates Yakima FatCat EVO 6 Ski Rack / Dakine Aero Rack Pads Custom Tailgate Pad Custom Tailgate Drink Holders Offroam MagSafe Magnetic Charging Phone Mount SeaSucker Vacuum Mount Hand Grips for Inside Closing of Snugtop Hatch Petite Café Curtain Rods with Custom Camper Shell Curtains and Tieback System COVERKING Saddleblanket Custom Seat Covers: Black BF Goodrich KO2s
    Uninstalling and reinstalling worked for me. Add the header accessory rail while you’re at it!

4. May 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Wsp100

Wsp100 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks for the responses. Yup, the rail can’t be lowered. It sits right on the top of the bed liner. There is no room for adjustment. I’ve checked a few other 3rd Gen Tacomas, they were all the same.

The the top of the rail sits about .130” above the side rails. There must be a reason for it, but if you are putting on a cover or a cap, it’s just a pain.

I contacted Leer about this. They sent me instructions for a recommended fix. It involved adding filler material, including some under the side rail caps. I didn’t like the looks of that, so I went my own way.

I reworked the front seal on the cover. This brought the front section down so it wasn’t sitting so high. I also added some bulb seals to the corners. It doesn’t sit perfectly flat, but it looks ok.

Other than that issue, I am very satisfied with the HR350M cover. The side rails were simple to install. (One tip - I used two sided tape to position the spacers, rather than the method they suggested.) The mounts slide right into the Toyota cargo system rails. The front clamps make it easy to remove the cover assembly. The latching system is sturdy and easy to use. I like that the prop rods keep the cover of the back of the cab when it’s open. It’s a sharp looking cover.

Products Discussed in

To Top