1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Mileage 2003 2.4L

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dpcollins0351, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    dpcollins0351

dpcollins0351 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.4L Base Tacoma 4X2
    Hey guys, new to the forums and seeking some guidance. I've tried searching for more info to no avail.

I have a 2003 Base 2.4L 4Cyl 4X2 Regular cab I picked up in a trade. it has over 300k miles. It runs and drives OK but the check engine light is on and I cant get it to pass inspection with it on. The codes were showing O2 sensors, vapor leak, and Catalytic Converter. I am going to go ahead and replace the Cat with a direct fit. I have had the fuel system cleaned, oil change with high mileage synthetic, and a new air filter. There is a pretty heavy brush guard on the front from the previous owner and the front end sags pretty good so I am going to replace the front struts with some new ones. There is a guy that has some brand new OEM struts from a 2001. Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I could find they should fit just fine.

What are some other parts that I should consider replacing on this truck with such high miles? Not only am I new to to Tacoma's I am also new to wrenching on cars so direct fit parts that are easily bolted on and off would be best.

Thanks

2. Sep 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    Fstrnyou

Fstrnyou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2002 XC 2.4 5spd 2wd
    Many many miles.
    I would only replace the upstream O2 and clear your codes. Then wait for more codes.

I got my Taco for cheap with the CEL on. Got it scanned and said Bank1 Sens1 Heater Circuit Malfunction. So I replaced that O2. Few cycles later, CEL comes back on. Get scanned, said Bank1 Sens2 Circuit Malfunction. Since I don't have inspections here, I was going to let it go. Decided one day to fix a sizable exhaust leak. Few cycles later, CEL goes off. No more codes. Didn't touch downstream O2.

dpcollins0351[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 23, 2017 at 12:20 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    does the motor consume any oil? She probably does, mine was at 377k when I put a long block in her and it was 1 qt per 500 miles. Oil consumption greater than 1 qt per 1k miles is considered exsessive. This consumed oil is coating the AF sensor and the O2 sensor as well as damaging the cat. If she is not mechanicaly sound you are throwing away money on those parts... it might smog immediatly but eventually the codes will return.

dpcollins0351[OP] and Dalandser like this.
  4. Sep 23, 2017 at 3:27 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'd remove the brush guard - you have a 5 lug truck - 5 lugs per wheel. That means that only suspension parts from other 5 lug trucks will fit it. PreRunner or 4x4 model Tacomas will not have interchangeable suspension parts with your truck. Sounds like your truck might need a good amount of work - the good news is it's pretty easy to do what you need to do on it since it's a Toyota and once you do whatever it needs, even swapping in a new engine, you'll be good to go for a very long time.

dpcollins0351[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2017 at 10:40 AM
    dpcollins0351

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    I haven't had the truck long enough or driven it enough to notice if its consuming oil. I'll do my best to keep tabs on it to notice any changes. If she is consuming oil what exactly does that mean? Bad seals? Worn engine parts allowing oil into areas it shouldn't be? I would like to start replacing parts in an effective manner in order to prolong the life of this motor. Thanks for the info.

6. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I think from what he was describing, he was thinking about blow by where the piston rings don't seal well and oil gets into the combustion chambers as well as what you mentioned.

7. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    dpcollins0351

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Ok so when I replace the upstream O2 sensor if it is caked in oil then I have oil blow by or what you were describing?

8. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    From my understanding that would be the way that oil would be getting into your exhaust. All engines have blow by, but excessive blow by is a symptom of an old engine. @Glamisman is a master tech so he would be the one to confirm it with though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    dpcollins0351

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Took your advice and removed that heavy ass brush guard. Could see and feel immediate improvement. I'll have to scour these forums for engine swap info but that would be a LONG time from now more than likely. I'd like to just keep it a reliable 4banger for my kids to learn to drive on someday. Part of me is kind of glad it needs work because I have been wanting to learn to do auto repair on my own for some time now. Figured a little 4cyl yoda would be a great thing to learn on.

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I found a new(er) engine and transmission for $1400 and an engine hoist for $150. I may have paid a premium for the engine and transmission since I have a 4x4 V6. I have the old engine and trans out and I'm waiting on a little more free time from work to wrap up the project. You're right about learning how to do all that stuff on here. I learned between here and youtube and a few other older defunct forums that come up on google searches. For engine info, search threads that have 2rz in the title - that's your engine designation (2.4 liter 2rz-fe 4 cylinder).

Here's the 4 banger forum:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/4-cylinder.51/

For suspension stuff for your truck check out:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/5-lug.114/

Products Discussed in

To Top