1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Mileage Purchase vs Certified Pre-Owned

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markymark, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    markymark

markymark [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I'm still searching for my 1st Taco. I am surprised at the prices for high mileage Tacos, for example:

http://www.atchevrolet.com/used/Toyota/2008-Toyota-Tacoma-6422c1d90a0a0065000560420d6430e9.htm

I know they run "forever" but in reality, the 2nd gen Tacos are hardly as proven as the 1st gen for longevity. I mean, the 3.4L we all know will run if taken care of. The 4.0L seems to be great so far, but 10 years from now, who knows?

Or, am I better off getting a Toyota certified pre-owned? Is it really worth it?

Besides the obvious here, I'm looking for some first hand opinions for both. I am not afraid of buying a Taco with high miles, but 176k is crazy for $14k.

I will never buy new, and I need a DC. It's just so damn hard to find a decent Taco at a decent price, WITH service records or obvious signs that maintenance was done as recommended.

My wife drives a 2003 4Runner, and I absolutely love that vehicle. Again though, with only 79k miles, it's hard to say that it will run another 100k miles. They didn't create the million mile club on the 4.0L...

TIA :)

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    ATweezy

ATweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 Red RC 4x4
    I think you already to know what you want. I wouldn't settle for anything but that. Its your hard earned money after all. If a low mileage DC is what you want. Than wait it out until you find it. I started looking for Tacomas back in May and I finally found what I was looking for just 4 days ago.

3. Oct 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    To me thats seems like a lot of money for that tacoma with 175+k miles. But as far as how long these 2nd generation will last depends on how will they are maintained.
    But I would keep searching for a private owner taco with 50 to 60k miles, they are out there and at a lot better price than off dealer. Good luck, kimo

4. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    markymark

markymark [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Actually, I think you're right, I do know what I WANT. I WANT a DC Taco with the TRD off road package, because I know I'll want to wheel it eventually...

What I NEED though, is a reliable vehicle for a daily driver that's safe and "comfortable" for my 6 month old daughter when necessary.

I guess you pretty much confirmed my impatience. That's probably part of my problem :p

I guess it's like finding a good woman. When you are least expecting it, you'll find one. Thank god I'm happily married!

5. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    speeddemon2588

speeddemon2588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    5100's
    I agree it all depends on how the truck was maintained. I bought my 08 AC TRD "certified" pre-owned with 17k, 500 miles later I dropped it off for a loud ticking coming from the timing belt cover. Two days later I picked it up with 8 pages worth of warranty work. The diff was leaking, the water pump went out, the tranny seals were trash, the cam seals were leaking, the timing belt was cracked, the tensioners were corroded, and the power steering pump had started to leak. According to the tech it was all because the previous owner never used the 4wd, ever, so when I engaged it things started to leak. The water pump was just bad, but was never checked. So it leaked steadily onto the timing belt. Had I not brought it in, the timing belt might have let go, or skipped a tooth. I didn't catch it when I test drove it and toyota's 130 point inspection missed it too. He could have been full of shit, just trying to ring up a bill for Toyota. Either way it shook my ideals on Toyota quality. On the plus side it was all free, since it was still under warranty. My point is "Certified" pre-owned doesn't mean much except a higher price tag. But I might be a little jaded.:cool:

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    markymark

markymark [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Well, I just purchased my 1st Taco today. I got a 2007 DC, TRD OR with 57k on the clock. It was not certified, but I got a warranty for $1000 for 4 years/48k miles. I typically put 5-6k miles on my vehicle per year, so this works for me. Although, I think I'll put closer to 10k miles/year with this truck.

Driving it home was like...hmmm, like sex. Felt great, looked great, sounded great, and I drove it until I got tired :)

I'll post pics when the sun is up. I can't wait to try the 4WD and the rear locker. Exciting night.

7. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top